Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
If the router has both 2.4 and 5.0, how do you force the receiving device to 5.0?

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
The receiving device has to be able to receive 5GHz signals. If it can, then you simply choose to connect to the specific SSID.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
As a side note, when I originally setup the devices I have them broadcast their SSID's. Once setup, I turnoff the broadcasting for security reasons, i.e. so that others can't see me. Most wireless receivers have a check-box that allows them to connect to a non-broadcasting SSID.

LunarMist

I can't seem to do that with the tablet. It only sees the name, which is the same. Maybe a Galaxic tablet doesn't like 5.0?

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
You should have different SSID's for each (if your router can run two separate networks). If not, then do one at a time to see if it can see the 5Ghz signal.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A LOT of hardware just doesn't support 5GHz. Most cheap notebooks, phones and tablets only support 2.4GHz. My Galaxy tablet sees both, but my Motorola Xoom and HTC Evo only do 2.4GHz. In a lot of cases there's just not a decent option except to try to carve out some kind of niche in 2.4GHz; it's not like you can just pop a different transceiver in any random 802.11-enabled device.

LunarMist

I have the 8.9¤€ Galactic tablet you recommended. I'll try to acres the wireless with a computer when I am in town. Maybe there is a way to disable the 2.4G.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
You don't have to disable the 2.4Ghz, just give the 5Ghz a different SSID.
I have mine named RickardsHome and RickardsHome5G.
The blu-ray is set to the 5Ghz. Everything else is the 2.4Ghz.
If you give them the same SSID then I think the device will pick what it thinks is best.

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio, didn't you once build an ultra high powered radio in your apartment to drown out the baby monitors? Can you do the same in this situation and basically overpower their signals? Just don't put the unit next to where you sit.

Mercutio

Mercutio, didn't you once build an ultra high powered radio in your apartment to drown out the baby monitors? Can you do the same in this situation and basically overpower their signals? Just don't put the unit next to where you sit.

I didn't build it, but I had a setup like that at one time. It was on an outdoor antenna and I actually sold it back to the guy who did build it after I moved out of that place. I suppose that if I just wanted to be a total dick I could plug in as many working 802.11 routers and APs as I could find and let them fight it out.

Actually I might do that anyway. I could probably field 30 or so 2.4GHz sources if I spent a couple hours looking through the pile of "dead" devices that still have working 802.11 transmitters.

LunarMist

Actually I might do that anyway. I could probably field 30 or so 2.4GHz sources if I spent a couple hours looking through the pile of "dead" devices that still have working 802.11 transmitters.

You must have a whole room with outlet strips and spaghetti wiring to power that along with everything else. :)

Mercutio

It might be worth it just to fuck with them. My boss didn't like my idea of putting mold cultures in the drop ceiling.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie

If you can find this device, it is a very power powerful emiter/receptor. I've used it on a farm, between two buildings at least 400 feet apart, with a barn/reception room in-between and the signal strenght was 4/5. It is much more effective than that TP-Link USB adapter. You might consider placing a few of those too, if you don't fear the amount of radiation will make you and your co-workers develop a pre-mature form of cancer or something.

That outdoor wifi device is supposed to be magical too. I wouldn't place it indoor next to a place I would spend a lot of time though.

Last edited:

LunarMist

500-600mW does not seem like a lot of power for a transmitter on an absolute scale, though I guess it is good for WiFi. Back in the 70s we had 50W amateur radios, but of course the frequency was much lower.

LunarMist

But that energy should be absorbed by the potato or whatever, not emitted into the general vicinity.

LunarMist

I'll leave that one to you. My skin is peeling off and it oozes in the splits, so I'm not ripping anything.

LunarMist

Thanks to time, timwhit, and sechs for contributing 4000+ posts to the community. Your insight and knowledge are much appreciated!

I saw time's post a few minutes ago, but did not notice the others. :cheers: all.

LunarMist

Why? I don't sweat very much in general, and it's not like I do anything or go anywhere on the weekends.

LunarMist

Nobody seems to be here at work today. It is really quiet. Unfortunately it is also very warm. I guess you got me on that sweating thing.

ddrueding

Fixture
You went all the way to France and are watching guys pedal bicycles around?

Nope. Went to one of the team members houses (who lived in Belgium at one point). One of the other team members actually competed there last year, so his commentary on the course was interesting.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
He commented in French or in English? French is the official language in pro cyclism. You might want to learn it.

So you train with a guy who did Paris-Roubaix? Interesting. He must be quite a challenge to follow.

LunarMist

You assume that guy speaks French fluently because he lived in Belgium for a while?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
No, because he was (or maybe still is) a pro cyclist. Just like I assume a professional sumo wrestler will have some basics in Japanese.

LunarMist

I know it is rather a long shot to ask here, but does anybody use bonar plastic?