Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
Someone is yet again trying to use my e-mail to sign up for a Facebook account. It looks like the same person as last time. :cursin:

Handruin

Administrator
After you get it resolved, sign up for your own account, then deactivate it (not delete it). Then it's under your control, but disabled.

Handruin

Administrator
Yes but then he has a facebook account, which might be even worse.

Why? Then he's taken the account from someone else who continues to bother him by using his email address. Register the account with fake info, then deactivate it. Or, do a password reset on the person who keeps registering your name and take over their account.

Handruin

Administrator
But then won't anyone searching for me by my e-mail think I have an account? :scratch:

When you deactivate your account, it goes away completely from view from you and everyone else. I just tried it and my girlfriend can't find me by name or email when my account is deactivated. unless if I'm missing something, it's as if my account doesn't exist when deactivated.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Thinking of switching from natural gas heat to coal (with a decent sized hopper). More physical work, but so much cheaper. Choices, choices.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I know you don't give a damn about it, but coal must send more harmful particles in the atmosphere than natural gas. And the coal industry is so dirty in so many ways that I don't believe it should be supported.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Not at all, my primary concern with coal apart from the additional labor involved is the radioactive fly ash. I forget the name of the show, but there was one recently about Pennsylvania coal mining/coal power, there was a school close by and you could see the layer of ash building on the cars outside as the day went on. A lot of the now adult students had passed away with various types of cancers etc.

But on the upside, not pissing away money on the natural gas bill gives me more money to spend on health insurance.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I thought in colder climates you just went to a ground-source heat pump rather than an air-source one?

Those can be very expensive to drill, especially with the winter heating requirements that Pradeep has in upstate NY. You also need quite a bit of land.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I forget the name of the show, but there was one recently about Pennsylvania coal mining/coal power, there was a school close by and you could see the layer of ash building on the cars outside as the day went on.

I have that where I live. If I leave a window open I can see what the wind was like because that's where the layer of industrial effluent will be on the surrounding surfaces. It's disgusting.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Air to air heat pumps are quite common around here and works nicely down to around -15C (5f)..

So what do you use in Winter? :)

I suppose it's a question of selecting a different refrigerant appropriate for the climate? In my somewhat toastier climate, heat pumps lose efficiency below 5C and are pretty useless below 0C. They come with a simple heating element that takes over under those conditions. Sort of negates the point of a heat pump.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Hotpumps worked fine near Escondido when I was in that area many years ago. It was not super cold in the winter, though the building insulation was crap.

LunarMist

I've had it since 1997 and it's my primary e-mail account, so I don't plan to dump it anytime soon.

Heh. That reminds me of an account I have from 1998. I still get spam from a certain church every week.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
So what do you use in Winter? :)

I suppose it's a question of selecting a different refrigerant appropriate for the climate? In my somewhat toastier climate, heat pumps lose efficiency below 5C and are pretty useless below 0C. They come with a simple heating element that takes over under those conditions. Sort of negates the point of a heat pump.

I have an air to air heat pump. It sucks in the winter here in Pa. We supplement our heat pump with a kerosene heater. There is no savings between the 60KW electric grid or the kerosene, but the house is warmer with the kerosene.

Handruin

Administrator
More like a busy day at work and then taking some photos for a friend's band during the evening. Soon will be bed time.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I would think that depends on exactly how deep the hole is.

Given the land limitations I have the only option for geothermal would be with vertical loops. My natural gas furnace uses 80,000 BTU of input and delivers about 76,000 BTU of ouput (96% efficiency). During maximum cold snaps the thing is just about running non-stop.

So rounding up to a heat demand of 80,000, that's 8 tons of heat. If a vertical loop system costs around $2000-$2400 per ton for drilling, that's at least $16,000 just for the loops. Then we add in the heat pump and assorted equipment that allows access to the guts of the system/loops for maintenance etc, which is going to take extra volume in the basement, in addition to the cost. Maybe $30,000?

I'm thinking a combo natural gas/coal/wood furnace would be best in my case. Natural gas for unattended heat during trips away, coal or wood when home to tend to it. A little more basement space taken, but no longer completely hitched to global demand/pricing of natural gas. About $5k, another grand for install.

http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACES/EAGLEIHUSKY/tabid/55/Default.aspx

LunarMist

I have an air to air heat pump. It sucks in the winter here in Pa. We supplement our heat pump with a kerosene heater. There is no savings between the 60KW electric grid or the kerosene, but the house is warmer with the kerosene.

I thought kerosene heaters caused asphyxiation? :scratch:

LunarMist

I know they used something like kerosene in S1-C stages, but I don't much about use for home heat.

We did have an experience with some HVAC techs that were nearly asphyxiated by CO from natural gas in the main furnace room, so I guess it can happen anywhere.