Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
Kathmandu is worth a day if you're quick, two if you aren't. The pollution is enough that you won't want to stay longer, anyway.

If you are looking for something exhilarating, take the bus to Pokhara; the one-lane dirt road is on an impossible cliff, and you can see the burned out carcasses of buses just like yours thousands of feet down at the bottom. Place bets with your travel companion on whether the next oncoming bus will pass on the left or the right. Honestly? Fly.

But do go to Pokhara, it is the place worth being. The lake is awesome, and from the monastery on the cliff on the far side of the lake, you can see a reflection of the Himalayas in the water. There was a fantastic guest house by the water.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
One thing I wonder about this place is how can you eat and not fall sick in a place without any kind of hygiene or salubrity? The locals may have built system immunities but visitors from other countries sure don't.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sometimes one is wise to bring a large bottle of Imodium, rehydration salts, antibiotics, and some Depends. I've seen some very sick individuals go off to hospital in developing countries. It can be very scary.

ddrueding

Fixture
When I've gone, I worked into the local food gradually. The fallback position is Snickers and Coke; both are readily available and safe.

The only time I got bit was eating raw Yak at 20,000ft+ (6000m+). That didn't go well, but I did manage to lose 100 lbs ;)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
One thing I wonder about this place is how can you eat and not fall sick in a place without any kind of hygiene or salubrity? The locals may have built system immunities but visitors from other countries sure don't.
Drink only bottled water - available everywhere. Eat food that is hot / heated well - cooked / baked thoroughly. No cold foods like salads. You'll be fine.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
The burning flame of CougTek vanished on this very sad day of January 18th 2011. We will always remember him as a moderate and civilized member of this community, filled with compassion for others, especially the right-wing and the simple-minded. Pardon me for being redundant ; it's the emotion. He leaves in grief his torn computers, his axe and his beloved steel-cap boots, which will never more meet the bottom of an unfortunate soul.

Rust in peace, CougTek. The World won't be the same without you.

Sinner! Do you not know the the first commandment of Storageforum?

There is but one Giver, thou shall put no false Givers before him!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Kathmandu is worth a day if you're quick, two if you aren't. The pollution is enough that you won't want to stay longer, anyway.

If you are looking for something exhilarating, take the bus to Pokhara; the one-lane dirt road is on an impossible cliff, and you can see the burned out carcasses of buses just like yours thousands of feet down at the bottom. Place bets with your travel companion on whether the next oncoming bus will pass on the left or the right. Honestly? Fly.

But do go to Pokhara, it is the place worth being. The lake is awesome, and from the monastery on the cliff on the far side of the lake, you can see a reflection of the Himalayas in the water. There was a fantastic guest house by the water.

Ice Road Truckers: Deadliest Roads is a good season to watch on History Channel. It shows the chaos of Indian roads and goat tracks in the Himalayas. One poor bastard left after having two bingles in the first day. There's always the risk of a lynching if things go pear shaped.

paugie

Storage is cool
Drink only bottled water - available everywhere. Eat food that is hot / heated well - cooked / baked thoroughly. No cold foods like salads. You'll be fine.
Sounds like advice my 2nd daughter would give. She says if you have to eat sidewalk food, do so only if it is freshly cooked, and well-cooked. Cold food from un-vetted sources is playing with Typhus and Hepatitis-B

LunarMist

Unless one is in the kitchen, appearances of the food can be deceiving. I've had the worst food poisoning at nice looking restaurants with nice looking food. :hurl: I only drank bottled beverages and never partook of the greens.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I really, really hate how "router" has become synonymous with "access point" or "repeater" for almost everyone. I had to spend almost a half hour in a class last night explaining the difference.

ddrueding

Fixture
I really, really hate how "router" has become synonymous with "access point" or "repeater" for almost everyone. I had to spend almost a half hour in a class last night explaining the difference.

That is obnoxious, but the one that really gets me is "screensaver" when they mean "desktop wallpaper".

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I needed a hub for data capture work a while back, try explaining that one to a store clerk.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You mean order a new one? There's no sending it back ; it's custom-made. The thickness mistake is from me. They did what I told them to do.

I'll order a new one and I'll use the one I have for a display desk. I would only need to bend the frame for another 2mm for it to fit, but I've already put a lot of tension into it and I'm worried that if I force a little more, it will shatter the glass.

LunarMist

Shipping is crazy and inefficient. I order four cables and receive three packages from different locations. :brilsmurf:

ddrueding

Fixture
Shipping is crazy and inefficient. I order four cables and receive three packages from different locations. :brilsmurf:

Sounds like Newegg. It seems they should keep more common items in more than one warehouse.

Monoprice has always been pretty good to me in this regard.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a new theory that the amount of ass a notebook is exponentially proportional to the number of stickers on that notebook.

I developed this theory after peeling seven stickers of a Toshiba notebook that might be the biggest piece of shit I've worked on in recent memory.

I think it's a good theory, but there might be some confirmation bias on my part.

LunarMist

I have not used the monoprice for cables. Are they a reliable vendor? Prices are quite low.

LunarMist

That's not for me then. I decide to order an item and want to receive in 1-2 days at most. ;)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have a new theory that the amount of ass a notebook is exponentially proportional to the number of stickers on that notebook.

I developed this theory after peeling seven stickers of a Toshiba notebook that might be the biggest piece of shit I've worked on in recent memory.

I think it's a good theory, but there might be some confirmation bias on my part.

Apple notebooks don't have many stickers and they are garbage.

Handruin

Administrator
I have not used the monoprice for cables. Are they a reliable vendor? Prices are quite low.

Yes, I've ordered lots of things from them. They do take a week for delivery unless if you select a more expensive shipping option. I can wait in order to save on cost.

LunarMist

Apple notebooks don't have many stickers and they are garbage.

Really? The ones I've seen look really nice, clearly better than any PC notebook I've seen. I don't know about the internal components.

LunarMist

If you happen to be in California, they offer "Overnite Express". 20lbs next-day for $5. I use it every time, and it is awesome.

That is nice to know. However, I don't buy reels of ethernet cable or anything nearly so heavy. Are the mono cables of decent quality?

Handruin

Administrator
That is nice to know. However, I don't buy reels of ethernet cable or anything nearly so heavy. Are the mono cables of decent quality?

Yes, so far I've been very happy with the following cable products that I have purchased from monoprice:

1000' Solid CAT 6 CMR (I've used 920' of it so far)
50' 12AWG speaker wire (I've used almost all of it)
5ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI Cable w/Ferrite Cores (I bought several of these)
1FT Cat6 550MHz UTP Ethernet Network Cable (I bought several of these)
25FT Cat6 550MHz UTP Ethernet Network Cable (I bought several of these)
100FT Cat6 550MHz UTP Ethernet Network Cable