Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I need an applauding seal, but when I search that on Youtube, I either get links to Democrats congress or the singer with the same name.

It's for a customer with basic needs who bought a system with a Core i7 920 and bumped the RAM to 8GB from the original 6GB.

Why would they need the video of a trained seal?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Because someone with basic needs doesn't need an i7 and upgrading the RAM to 8GB on a system that is made to access its RAM in triple channel is even dumber.

Only a seal would applaud.

LunarMist

Haven't been to SR since they revamped the forums... But there does appear to be new-blood in regards to membership, but very few of the original SR members have gone back.

It's a while different place now. :( The main page is updated frequently with press releases for a wide variety of useless products.

LunarMist

I checked for a bit. The new leadership does not seem to be as knowledegable as one would want.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
And so begins a new era in sea and train transport in Europe. Fortunately the trains are already world class in many areas. SNCF was certainly clock like in timeliness when I was in Switzerland.

If they were as dependent on plane travel as the US they would be truly in some poop.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
And so begins a new era in sea and train transport in Europe. Fortunately the trains are already world class in many areas. SNCF was certainly clock like in timeliness when I was in Switzerland.

If they were as dependent on plane travel as the US they would be truly in some poop.

I believe Europe/world plane travel is far more dependent than the USA, so they *are* in some poop with no plan B, no viable alternatives---freight by sea is too slow for many types of business/interests. Besides it's really all the women to blame....

Iranian cleric: Promiscuous women cause quakes

especially the young, ignore some of the more strict codes and wear tight coats and scarves pulled back that show much of the hair.

^oh man, I'm getting so aroused just thinking about it...I feel a trembler coming on :D

Threat of new, larger Icelandic eruption looms

Handruin

Administrator
I wish we could have NOD32 here. McAfee is horrible on performance especially whenever I do anything related to Java (which is what most of our software is written in). There are many times if I don't use my work laptop for more than 24 hours that when I start it up, the stupid McAfee full scan starts and makes the system unusable for 25-30 minutes. They block us from killing processes, I've tried a great deal to figure out how to stop it, but can't with my user permissions. Coworkers are running around with CDs and printed instructions on how to work around the issue. My coworkers found a workaround...we've yet to hear anything from IT. If I reboot my desktop I'll be hosed...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Look at it this way, reboot and go to the break room for 30 minutes. Boss sees that enough times he asks whats up so you give him the facts, its not your problem its really his to get you the tools you need to do the job. Not your fault that your tool doesn't allow you to work is the way I see it when my corp machine doesn't work.

Handruin

Administrator
My boss is fully aware...his machine got hosed and he came to my cube to see if I had the same issue. I for whatever reason didn't get affected (yet). Our environment is a bit weird in relation to our corporate IT. Often times we joke that we all work for corporate IT rather than them being part of the company and work to help us. I like my boss a lot and wouldn't be hard headed with him on this situation, we would be able to work together to figure out a solution.

Sol

Storage is cool
McAfee is definitely the devils work... We use it at work too, for now, but we just ditched our corporate overlords (or they ditched us, either way is fine) so we'll almost certainly be getting rid of it. For us, McAfee and Tortoise SVN made for a perfect storm of file access and file scanning that could make opening an explorer window (or sometimes just switching to one) a 20 minute operation and occasionally they would combine to cause any new process attempting to get network access to just hang.

We don't have full scans but we used to back when I worked at IBM. Monday was Symantec day and the virus scanner would kick in at midday. Everyone quickly learned that lunch on Monday was at least an hour and a half long, you could get back to your desk before then but you wouldn't be doing any work. If we got a call from a customer during lunch we'd have to manually kill the process and deal with indignant pop-up messages until we let it do a full scan.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Can one of the Australians tell me how you would write the following?

A standard drink is one 12-ounce bottle or can of either beer or wine cooler, one 5-ounce glass of wine or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits.

LunarMist

A few times a year there is some AV screwup. I recall last year Avast was killing the goot process. We used Trend Micro AV at the last place I worked. The new computers are awful, but I don't know if the AV is involved.

LunarMist

And...WTF is that pink ball Mooner is talking about? Were you dancing bogey naked in your living room and stuck half your bag between the sofa and the wall or what? Don't post here, call 9-1-1!

I have my pink ball back, finally. :) It is smaller and softer than I remember.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100422/ap_on_bi_ge/as_china_auto_show

foreign producers look to surging China to drive slack global sales and local brands try to raise their profile following Geely's purchase of Volvo.

The show has quickly become a premier global event as explosive sales growth propelled China, a country with almost no private cars 15 years ago, past the United States in 2009 to become the world's top auto market.

Major producers that used to reserve vehicle launches for U.S. or European auto shows plan to debut 14 new models at Auto China 2010, according to organizers. Chinese manufacturers plan to show 75 new sedans, SUVs, experimental "green" cars and other vehicles. The event opens to auto writers Friday and to the public on Tuesday.
"Auto China has grown to be one of the biggest and most important auto shows of the year, joining Detroit, Tokyo and Paris," said Trevor Hale, a spokesman for Daimler AG.

The reason: China's buoyant auto market shrugged off the global crisis and sales soared by an eye-popping 45 percent last year to 13.6 million vehicles, well ahead of the 10.5 million units sold in the United States. The expansion accelerated this year, when sales jumped by 63 percent in the first quarter.

"The growth is phenomenal," said John Bonnell, a J.D. Power analyst.
Other Chinese producers plan to unveil a total of 64 new models, according to organizers.

They include Chery Automobile Co., China's biggest domestic auto brand, and BYD Co., with backing from American investor Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc., which owns a 9.9 percent stake.

BYD plans to show the e6, an all-electric five-seater the company wants to sell in North America this year. Plans call for doubling BYD's total sales this year to 800,000 vehicles and expanding to Europe in 2011.

BYD says the e6 has a top speed of 87 mph (140 kph) and can travel up to 205 miles (330 miles) on a single charge.

"Our theme at the show will remain focused on green, environmentally friendly and renewable energy," said a BYD spokesman, Paul Lin.
Looks like Buffet is betting on the Chinese, beating out the GM/Chevy Volt....maybe Clocker, sell his house, and move to China, can find a job with a Chinese auto company, and jump ship from GM's Volt division b4 that goes belly up? Ironic that GM sales in China, probably helped GM pay off the bailout loans it owes the US gov.

In another decade China will pwn the USA economy. I just helped my mother buy some American branded feminine pads for her ever worsening incontinence problem... "made in China"

ddrueding

Fixture
The Chinese still have a problem with anything where QC is important, or not using carcinogens is important. I wonder how long it will take them on their accelerated timetable to get over these issues.

Sol

Storage is cool

A standard drink is one 12-ounce bottle or can of either beer or wine cooler, one 5-ounce glass of wine or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits.

Rough translation to Australian-ish:
A standard drink is a stubby or can of beer, a girly drink*, most of a glass of wine**, or a shot***.

*Or "poofs drink" depending on the company (Or if you're somehow transported back to the 80s which is roughly the last time I saw a wine cooler in Australia). "wine cooler" is most commonly used to describe an insulated bag designed to keep bottles of wine cold but that's clearly not what you mean here. Alcopops are the closest thing to wine coolers that I've come across in Australia this century but they're still considered pretty girly and I've never actually heard them referred to as alcopops in Aus anyway. They tend to be referred to by brand names, most commonly (in my experience) Breezers (as in Bicardi Breezers). In any case I think they're usually closer to a glass of wine than a standard drink alcohol wise so general rephrasing may be in order.

** We would (And did on the drink-driving tv ads) say that a glass of wine is about 1 and a half standard drinks since your average Australian glass of wine tends to be more than 5 ounces (Or probably would if I had more than a passing idea of what a fluid ounce is).

*** You could specify "of spirits" and that you're talking roughly 40% ABV here but that could probably just be assumed for non-official documents.

I think the Australian standard drinks literature/advertising uses (Or used maybe 5-8 years ago) the KISD principal. Keep It Simple (for) Drunkard.

LunarMist

Quote:

http://au.reachout.com/find/articles/alcohol

A standard drink has 10 grams of pure alcohol. Knowing how many standard drinks you are having may help you in managing your alcohol use. Different types of alcoholic drinks contain different amounts of pure alcohol. The following are examples of standard drinks :

285ml glass of beer(a middy/pot/handle)
100ml glass of table wine
30ml of spirits (1 nip)

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
*Or "poofs drink" depending on the company (Or if you're somehow transported back to the 80s which is roughly the last time I saw a wine cooler in Australia).

"West Coast Cooler" is one such example of a poofs drink.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Cooler
http://www.westcoastcooler.ie/

Also depending on where you are, even some beer can be marked as a poofs drink as well (especially anything under mid strength). Also some brands have there normal slang name, eg:
XXXX (commonly called Four X) - camel piss, etc.

What LM wrote is pretty spot on. The gov use that terminology to help people understand much much piss they are drinking.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!

I believe the Aus labelling laws require the listing of standard drinks equivalent, to help us with the .05 #78 limit. Therefore you get bottled drinks of hard cider where even justthe one bottle will get you blowing over.

LunarMist

It still depends on size. For example, a 90kg normal man can handle more than a 50kg normal woman.

LunarMist

Speaking of drunkenness, any good mixes using Malibu white rum?

I was given a bottle approx 11 yrs ago, and never opened it. I figure now is a good time to open it?

Now where's the bartender?

That sounds bogus. I do not recall any rum in Malibu. It's not Ponce.

LunarMist

Slight misunderstanding somewhere; the name of the rum is 'Malibu', it's made in Barbados.

:oops: I have friend who owned a resort in Barbados back in the 90s. I never got around to visiting. From what I heard it is not worth the time compared to so many other tropical locations.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
It still depends on size. For example, a 90kg normal man can handle more than a 50kg normal woman.

Sure. That's why the rule of thumb is for guys - 2 standard drinks in the first hour, and one each hour afterwards, for the shelias its one drink in the first hour IIRC.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Just breaking in a pair of Audio Technica AD700 headphones, I,ve never heard such a beautiful midrange. $80 makes thousand of surround speakers souns somehow slow and muddy. They say about 40 hours to get the fullness of the bass up to full potential.