Something Random

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I upgraded to a 27" 1440p monitor and my first impression is that everything's so small! I can't be getting old person eyes yet... I can still read it, but it's definitely going to take some getting used to. I will definitely have to wear my glasses at all times now.
You may need to turn on Windows dpi scaling which may help in certain situations.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Watched a documentary on Amazon Prime called "The Man Who Saved The World". I had no idea the world came so close to total nuclear annihilation but for the actions of one man. Highly recommend a watch.

sedrosken

Allergic to Sunlight
You may need to turn on Windows dpi scaling which may help in certain situations.
DPI scaling doesn't work 100% of the time, and everything's designed for 96dpi, usually, and inconsistencies in UI always bother me more than they should. It's already an exercise in frustration to use Windows as it is, with some aspects of the UI dating back to Windows/NT 3.x, some from 95/NT4, and so on and so forth.

sedrosken

Allergic to Sunlight
Watched a documentary on Amazon Prime called "The Man Who Saved The World". I had no idea the world came so close to total nuclear annihilation but for the actions of one man. Highly recommend a watch.
I didn't look it up but I'm pretty sure you're referring to one Stanislav Petrov, correct? The one who (correctly) assumed that if the US were to authorize a nuclear launch against the USSR, it wouldn't have just been five missiles and called the computer malfunction that said there were that many headed there out as such?

Or, I suppose it could have been another Russian, this time in the midst of the Cuban Missile Crisis, that fluke third officer (usually they only had two) Vasili Arkhipov aboard that B-59 who refused to let the crew fire nuclear torpedoes in response to being told to surface via practice depth charges.

sedrosken

Allergic to Sunlight
Hmm. This gets more and more interesting the deeper I get.

So the PlayStation I ended up getting and modchipping works well enough -- I have to replace the laser mech, right now all it will boot into is my burnt copy of the 240p test suite -- and I have to figure out a better solution for burning stuff at slow speeds so it can more easily read the disks. Apparently the PS1 is very notorious for having finicky-at-best CD drives.

The Trinitron is a complex beast. Provided I can find the jungle chip, I should in theory be able to tie 75 ohm resistors to each of the signal lines for the OSD to get ports for RGB on the back, which is a nice little project -- I'm not comfortable enough with a dremel to even start with trying to panel-mount a real-deal SCART connector, but I'm comfortable enough soldering now that I could put together a little breakout cable for SCART to get phono plugs for each of the signal lines and stereo sound, and I have a set of those stepping drill bits so it wouldn't be a big deal to make holes for phono plugs. I'd be happy enough with S-Video if I could get the geometry dialed in right. I can *almost* get it perfect but the image is ever-so-slightly rotated, and the service menu lacks a PROT option so I'm guessing I'll have to manually get in the cabinet and mess with the yoke to fix that. Even more frustrating, despite my writing my new settings, it just refuses to actually save the settings I set in the service menu -- I almost wonder if it's got a battery that powers some kind of SRAM chip that holds those values, and the battery has long since died or something.