Something Random

Handruin

Administrator
Where are you sourcing your 4K content from? Is this a generic Netflix & Youtube or are you getting 4K content from somewhere else?

Stereodude

Not really a
Are you watching UHD content 24/7 or something?

I'm really struggling to see how the math adds up. That's like each of the 3 of you each moving 2.7GB per hour 16 hours a day in order to hit 1TB in 8 days.

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
Might be worth taking a look to see if someone else is taking your bandwidth without your consent like a neighbor or maybe a rogue app or something.

ddrueding

Fixture
Tore the whole network down, replaced MicroTIK with EdgeRouter running full deep packet inspection and adding one device to the network at a time.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm interested to know what you find with your investigation. I've had mixed results with the EdgeRouter deep packet inspection but that could just be my lack of understanding in utilizing it. My mixed results is that I didn't get enough description of the packet usage per-device to make it a useful utility to run all the time.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nothing yet, but I'm adding devices slowly. So far my wife and I's main computers, the Amazon Fire, both Sonos, 3 Echos, 1 Nest, and the WiFi (new SSID/password) with just 2 cell phones. Base level of traffic is 15kbps up and 22kbps down. Entirely reasonable.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Sprained my ankle Monday evening/Tuesday morning, and today my hard drive finally died. It gives me the dreaded click of death. Hangs up the BIOS on trying to detect it, even. This has not been my week.

Stereodude

Not really a
Our IT guy is a wizard of smart... Look at this install of our new wireless device that just got completed.

6E5Emcc.jpg

Yes, the antennas are horizontal. And, he installed it so far up the wall that they can't be flipped up vertically.

1dg3qoC.jpg

But hey, we now have a local domain controller for an office of 3 people, a WD "Pro" 4 drive NAS, an inferior wireless AP, and hardwired VPN tunnels to the other regional offices. :eek:wneddnce:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sprained my ankle Monday evening/Tuesday morning, and today my hard drive finally died. It gives me the dreaded click of death. Hangs up the BIOS on trying to detect it, even. This has not been my week.

Stop kicking the hard drive. :lol:

LunarMist

Our IT guy is a wizard of smart... Look at this install of our new wireless device that just got completed.

6E5Emcc.jpg

Yes, the antennas are horizontal. And, he installed it so far up the wall that they can't be flipped up vertically.

1dg3qoC.jpg

But hey, we now have a local domain controller for an office of 3 people, a WD "Pro" 4 drive NAS, an inferior wireless AP, and hardwired VPN tunnels to the other regional offices. :eek:wneddnce:

Is it the angle of the lens or is everything cockeyed? It's like a large magnet haphazardly sucked everything onto the wall.
Shouldn't there be a rack or shelf?

Stereodude

Not really a
Is it the angle of the lens or is everything cockeyed? It's like a large magnet haphazardly sucked everything onto the wall.
The Comcast box is definitely all crooked and partially hanging off the wall. There's no rack other than the tiny one at the top.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Staples came out yesterday. Still need to work to keep the all the incised parts from healing to each other: dermis, facia, muscle, bone. Progressed to a cane a week ago and will probably progress off the cane in the next week. Since I'm not taking the pain meds I'm allowed to drive if I could actually get into/out of my car without breaking rules. It is too low to the ground.

Saw the x ray and CT. The neck shattered into 2 dozen pieces. On the x ray the head was free to rotate on its own and did.

time

Storage? I am Storage!

As Stereodude said, the object at the top is actually a 2RU 300mm deep rack of sorts. It exists purely to mount the patch panel.

It didn't occur to me that Dell would pretend to make routers or WAPs. My question is why?

I don't think it's that crooked, mine is angled at about 45 degrees - but that's because it's hanging from one screw (it's bigger than the last one). Antennae are not horizontal because I don't live underneath my WAP. ;)

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what on earth are those thin patch cables? Is this some clever physics where you can use a cable with a different impedance at one end without the normal dire consequences? Do you have a really, really small office?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Staples came out yesterday. Still need to work to keep the all the incised parts from healing to each other: dermis, facia, muscle, bone. Progressed to a cane a week ago and will probably progress off the cane in the next week. Since I'm not taking the pain meds I'm allowed to drive if I could actually get into/out of my car without breaking rules. It is too low to the ground.

That's an excellent recovery so far. I think you probably understand what I meant about PT exercises, particularly since you scored a posterior op where they cut the gluteus maximus. It will take a long time for your body to rebuild everything.

Saw the x ray and CT. The neck shattered into 2 dozen pieces. On the x ray the head was free to rotate on its own and did.

Just WOW. :eek:

Stereodude

Not really a
It didn't occur to me that Dell would pretend to make routers or WAPs. My question is why?
It's a Sonicwall box. No idea why it's Dell branded.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what on earth are those thin patch cables? Is this some clever physics where you can use a cable with a different impedance at one end without the normal dire consequences? Do you have a really, really small office?
Those are Monoprice SlimRun CAT6 cables. https://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023205

Stereodude

Not really a
So I noticed this one this morning. The UPS with the NAS and domain controller plugged into it: :bstd:

4snJhRv.jpg

And we had a scheduled power interruption last night. Now the NAS has an error message on the front about a power interruption on one of the ports.

Additionally, the UPS is probably just barely adequate for the NAS and the domain controller at a whopping 450VA and the UPS isn't plugged into the DC via USB so it won't know when it's running on battery power and be able to shut down gracefully. :eek:wneddnce:

Handruin

Administrator
That's some good stuff right there. They're saving the health of the battery for some emergency when the power goes out. :-D

Stereodude

Not really a
I had an odd one in a chat session on the T-Mobile website on Wed...
Appreciate your patience ______. I really apologize for the long wait for this , no worries. I'm on your back and I rest assured that I will not leave you inside the wild forest.

I'm not sure if that's a some vague and rather obscure Star Wars reference or if "Robert" is a non-native English speaker making a cultural reference I don't understand.

LunarMist

So I noticed this one this morning. The UPS with the NAS and domain controller plugged into it: :bstd:

And we had a scheduled power interruption last night. Now the NAS has an error message on the front about a power interruption on one of the ports.

Additionally, the UPS is probably just barely adequate for the NAS and the domain controller at a whopping 450VA and the UPS isn't plugged into the DC via USB so it won't know when it's running on battery power and be able to shut down gracefully. :eek:wneddnce:

Is that just to power the systems until the generator kicks in?

LunarMist

Oh please, I could toss the thing against the wall and shatter it into a million pieces. Feels like it's made of papier mâché. Or Raditz.

Seriously, the damn thing's lighter than most SSDs I've had.

J/K. I'm sure your young foot is stronger than a hard drive. :)

LunarMist

Generator? :rofl:

I assumed most buildings have them. In the past I had an office about one story above a large, loud generator. Every week it would run for a while during a regular teleconference. :(
At work I never get to see any of the IT equipment since it is a secure area. For all I know the equipment is ugly in there, but I doubt it.

I inquire about the power systems at every site I visit. I expect generators at least for critical systems, including any necessary HVAC, reefers, etc.

Stereodude

Not really a
I assumed most buildings have them. In the past I had an office about one story above a large, loud generator. Every week it would run for a while during a regular teleconference. :(
At work I never get to see any of the IT equipment since it is a secure area. For all I know the equipment is ugly in there, but I doubt it.

I inquire about the power systems at every site I visit. I expect generators at least for critical systems, including any necessary HVAC, reefers, etc.
You've apparently had very different jobs from any I've worked at. We have a small suite in a commercial office building. There is a generator outside the building, but it certainly doesn't power anything in our suite. I'd guess it powers the alarm & fire detection system, maybe the elevators, and a few key building functions. Past jobs haven't even had a generator on the building.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I work in this building. I have no idea if it has a generator or not. I'm guessing I would need to get into a mechanical floor under the building to find out.

I used the work in NBC Tower, it definitely had a generator under street level. I walked passed it a couple times when it was running. It was pretty hard to breath with all the diesel fumes.

LunarMist

I work in this building. I have no idea if it has a generator or not. I'm guessing I would need to get into a mechanical floor under the building to find out.

I used the work in NBC Tower, it definitely had a generator under street level. I walked passed it a couple times when it was running. It was pretty hard to breath with all the diesel fumes.

I would have no idea about which tenants have generator power in a skyscraper either. Back in the early 90s I was stationed at HQ in a high rise, which was not that large. There was some sort of short circuit that electrocuted at least one worker and took out the whole building for two days. The fire department made us all leave, but they brought in a helicopter to evacuate some old or fat people that could not walk down dozens of flights.

Stereodude

Not really a

Those are some swanky digs. :joker:

The building I'm in now has 18 floors. Our suite is on the 10th floor. It's the highest off the ground I've ever worked so far in my career. All previous jobs have been ground floor or 2nd in a building with no more than two stories.