Something Random

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Speaking of root canals, thankfully I haven't had one even though I'm among the older ones in this bunch here.

My last visits to the dentist were 2005, then 2012 and just now. My fillings have worn off and started causing problems.

I was jazzed at the place; 5 patient rooms, each pretty large with the patient chair, storage cupboard, then some distance away a desk, chair and computer for the dentist. A large flat-screen tv above the patient chair, hooked to the aforesaid computer for displaying PPTs and videos. The light that shines into the patient's mouth is turned on or off by the doc waving his hand underneath it. They took x-rays with what looked like a godzilla version of a digital camera; I was most stunned by this small, portable, handheld x-ray machine. I guess it has a very pointy source, since nobody wore any protection - neither the doc holding the film inside my mouth, nor the technician who was holding the camera. The "lens" portion (it looked like a lens with the cap on) is touched to the skin when taking the x-ray. The x-ray technician sent the digital x-rays through the network to the PC in my room where we viewed it.

Before I went in, I was asked to put my foot into what looked like a suitcase with a cutout in the top half; when I did, a plastic shoe cover got put perfectly on my shoe. I was told even the air-conditioning was medical grade, and they had an autoclave large enough to sterilize the taken-apart pieces of the patient chair.

This dental office opened about 6 months ago near my home. I'm amazed that this much money was spent for this office; though I live in a large city, it is at one edge of it. Apparently, depite that, it was worth their while.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Some people just have "good teeth".
Pretty high tech office. The pen xray sounds nice. Taking xrays is the worst part of going for me. The film cuts up the inside of my mouth. See mandibular tori.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
SmartSync Pro continually reports a CRC error when trying to copy one particular file from a 4TB portable drive.
SMART (C5) warns that Current Pending Sector=24. The stupid drive is practically new with only 139 hours on it. :mad:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
This is the memory config. I tried making the case to balance the memory given our prior discussions from years past. My concerned was ignored for a while but they tried to balance the quantity of RAM modules. We didn't want to bump it to 256GB for other reasons mainly cost and it won't be used for a while.

Code:
[root@cds0 ~]# dmidecode -t memory | grep Size
    Size: 16384 MB
    Size: 8192 MB
    Size: No Module Installed
It is configured in quad channel, so it's ok. I didn't know that Linux command. Might be useful in the future. Thanks.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I bought a Dewalt impact driver drill combo. The impact driver is amazing for driving screws in. I drove some 2 and 3 inch drywall screws and it was like going through butter.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You need a really firm hand on the tool to make sure the bit stays in the screw-head, no? Otherwise the head strips; I've never been able to use one like professionals do and prefer using a manual screwdriver. Of course I don't put in dozens of screws in each day.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You need a really firm hand on the tool to make sure the bit stays in the screw-head, no? Otherwise the head strips; I've never been able to use one like professionals do and prefer using a manual screwdriver. Of course I don't put in dozens of screws in each day.

With a regular drill you need to put a ton of pressure on it to prevent stripping it. The impact driver is completely different, it makes driving screws easy enough that a child could do it. This article explains the difference pretty well.

I drove 36 2" screws today without stripping a single one.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
What are you building? I bought my wife a Milwaukee 12v drill for mother's day (she asked for the general, just picked the specific). Plan to get the impact driver next. I was gifted an 18v Porter Cable set to replace my old ni-cad 9.4v Dewalt but I plan to standardize on the 12V Milwaukee due to all the battery compatible tools.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
When we started the house remodel 7 years ago I bought a full set of DeWalt 18v. Time for a replacement set soon I think.

The set I bought is pretty nice. However, if you want something with more power, they have them. These ones only come with 2 1.3Ah batteries. This is sufficient for my needs though. All of the Dewalt 20v batteries are compatible.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I like the smaller size and lighter weight of the 12V stuff; the drill is about a pound lighter. The most extreme stuff I need it for is driving 1/2" lag screws and drilling for concrete anchors. Plus the wife does most of the carpentry and finish, and I usually focus on plumbing and electrical.

Stereodude

Not really a
I think I've professed my love here of the Bosch 12V Li-Ion tools. The batteries are entirely in the handle. I've got 2 drills, one brushless, a power driver with torque clutch, and an impact in the 12V Bosch lineup. I also have some 12V Hitachi Li-Ion and some 18V Hitachi Li-Ion. The Bosch are used the most.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The cheapest impact driver available on Amazon here is ~ $70, a Makita corded with all 5-star reviews. The next cheapest is a Dewalt li-Ion at ~ $264; then a Bosch 18v cordless, at ~ $420.

While I'd love to have these tools, I would hardly ever use them. I've only used my US B&D drill about once in the last 10 years; and the US Dremel tool about half a dozen times, in tandem with a 1000 watt 220 to 110v step down that must weigh 500 lbs and is a pain to move. For my needs, a good set of manual hand tools is sufficient. I've broken two hex handles and need to buy a new one today. The bit sets from the broken handles I have - a whole ton of them of various types.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Speaking of power tools, I'm using a dremel to cut out the I/O shield of a Dell Inspiron 530s case. I'm looking up the pinout of the front panel connector on the motherboard too, so I can rewire the headers to fit my Skylake board. If I'm going to take my desktop with me, it's going to be in a smaller case, and that was the only SFF mATX case with two hard drive bays I had handy. Wattage on the PSU is fine, great even, but with the metal shavings going everywhere in that case and PSU I'm probably going to need to give it a good cleaning before I put everything in it. SFF makes sense for this Celeron, since I have no plans currently to put anything beefier than what's in it inside.

Unfortunately the case was designed for one motherboard and one motherboard only in regards to the rear I/O shield -- it's part of the case! So I'm going to have to dremel out a hole big enough either for the ports or my I/O shield, hopefully the latter. Duct tape could work to my favor in the case of the former, to fill the hole. I'm in the process of doing it right now, made the proper measurements so the only thing that could make it go wrong is my unsteady hand. Going to clean its fans too, they sorely need it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Rebuilding my work computer, finally got a case for it instead of just sitting the parts on the motherboard box on the floor with cables everywhere. I consider it a step up.

0517161244a.jpg

ddrueding

Fixture
You've placed glued heatsinks on the water block? Seriously?

Used the themal camera to locate hot spots and that was one of them. It isn't just a waterblock, the pump is in there as well and did get hot. I'd rather it not fail, and the system as a whole doesn't have that much airflow.

Handruin

Administrator
That's pretty smart and a nice use of one of those heat guns. What are they stuck on with is it some kind of thermal tape?

ddrueding

Fixture
These came from Amazon with double-sided thermal tape. I do also have some of the arctic silver 2-part thermal epoxy, but I didn't think that it was necessary for this application.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Those are passive heat sinks. By definition the heat flux per unit area will be pretty low. Thermal tape is more than adequate here. Thermal epoxy mainly offers an advantage in high heat flux applications, such as a microprocessor or a thermoelectric cooler on a fan-forced or liquid heat sink.

ddrueding

Fixture
Ugh. My gag reflex is very...sympathetic? I have no doubt I'd be joining them even if I felt fine to start.

This is particularly difficult when you have a small child.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
This I/O shield cutting thing is going way too slowly for my liking. I blame it on having to use a battery operated dremel. It charges in three hours, is drained in less than 10 minutes. I have it maybe halfway done now.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Anyone know Sed's surname and care to PM it to me so Ican get this this thing shipped out today?

And while I'm thinking of it: The T450 has two DDR3L slots but only a 42mm M.2 slot, so none of my existing M.2 SSDs will fit in it. I also noticed that there are three different screw sizes on the bottom plate, something that annoys me to no end since most previous Thinkpads use only one.