Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
If one is not a classical music fan this video will help you appreciate the finer things in life. Must see.

I have no audio, but I suppose there is some timing with the music. The self-mutilated women are just sickening.

LunarMist

I'm well into the 50s. How much more hair can I get except maybe the back of my head. :D

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Puberty all over again? How about no.

No. Just -- no. So much nope. Not doing it again.

FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, I'M NOT EVEN FINISHED WITH THE FIRST ROUND YET! (sound of a blowdart being, well, blown) No -- I.. will not...

LunarMist

Well, my arm felt great over the weekend, but that's not why I was taking it. Now I'm having other effects. I can't stand it. :(

LunarMist

The lycanthropy should only be temporary. You're going to get some of that when you start a new medication.

No, it's a small molecule. Anyway I have to go in on Friday. I'm not sure what they will do this time.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I got new glasses a couple days back. Went with some with more vertical space, so I look even more like your stereotypical "nerd" than ever. Mom says they make me look like Hank Hill, and keeps trying to get me to say "I sell propane and propane accessories." It's a lot to get used to, but being able to see is a plus. I'm too young for laser surgery apparently, and all in all I'm not comfortable with laser eye surgery anyway. It's still too "prototypical" for me. Contacts would be another option, but not on the Meridian plan, and then we get into me being unable to touch my eye. Hopefully later on I'll have decent insurance and laser eye surgery will be a little more far along in its development.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My eyes are bad enough that the surgery wouldn't be sufficiently helpful. I would still have to wear glasses. If I did anything, I'd probably have a bunch of extra skin cut off my midsection.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Your skin is an organ essential for life. Surgery for glaucoma and cataracts is elective, quality of life surgery. I suspect you would have either surgery if the quality of life benefits outweighed the perceived risks.

Stereodude

Not really a
Your skin is an organ essential for life. Surgery for glaucoma and cataracts is elective, quality of life surgery. I suspect you would have either surgery if the quality of life benefits outweighed the perceived risks.
Uh... I can't tell if you're attempting to troll me or not.

There's very little risk / possible downside to getting a mole removed. Glaucoma and cataracts aren't on par with needing glasses / contacts. Glasses and contacts can't fix those. So, you can go blind for sure, or risk ending up blind if the surgery goes all sideways. They're very much not comparable.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!

Without glaucoma surgery you can go blind. It is not an elective surgery. Cataracts can also impair your vision to the point you can be classified as legally blind.
Medicare does not pay for elective surgery but it will pay for both these operations.
I have glaucoma in both eyes and a cataract in one. I treat the glaucoma with eye drops and the cataract is not bad enough for surgery. In a conversation with an eye surgeon, I was told you are awake for both these operation. If that is the case, they are going to have to give me some really good shit to get it done.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Without glaucoma surgery you can go blind. It is not an elective surgery. Cataracts can also impair your vision to the point you can be classified as legally blind.
Medicare does not pay for elective surgery but it will pay for both these operations.
I have glaucoma in both eyes and a cataract in one. I treat the glaucoma with eye drops and the cataract is not bad enough for surgery. In a conversation with an eye surgeon, I was told you are awake for both these operation. If that is the case, they are going to have to give me some really good shit to get it done.

If it's anything like the laser eye surgery I had, it's not terrible. They will give you a valium if you are freaking out.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yeah, congratulations to Howell for sticking here long enough to reach 4000 posts.

Also, this made me think about Lunarmist for no special reason :

sonsofarthritis.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
Congrats Howell. Don't forget he has another 1200 posts from his former account name. :)

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
How bad is your vision Sed? Mine was 20/200 in one eye, worse in the other. BTW (x/y) = see things at x feet, that you should be able to see at y feet is how I remember it?!?

I got new glasses a couple days back. Went with some with more vertical space, so I look even more like your stereotypical "nerd" than ever. Mom says they make me look like Hank Hill, and keeps trying to get me to say "I sell propane and propane accessories." It's a lot to get used to, but being able to see is a plus. I'm too young for laser surgery apparently, and all in all I'm not comfortable with laser eye surgery anyway. It's still too "prototypical" for me. Contacts would be another option, but not on the Meridian plan, and then we get into me being unable to touch my eye. Hopefully later on I'll have decent insurance and laser eye surgery will be a little more far along in its development.

I've seen more and more kids (18-25 yo) going back to the "Hank Hill" type glasses and not the smaller "trying to look cool" glasses. Almost no stigma these days. Old style is the now style.

You don't want to do any eye surgery before your 35+ years old as by then you eyes aren't going to get any worse, except for close up/reading.

Modern laser eye surgery has been mainstream for 15+ years now. It's all computerized anyways. Doc lines up laser/eye, (imagine binocular eye piece that sticks to your eye so there's no movement) then when computer sees everything is lined up laser auto-fires for 0.1s or whatever and does what is has to do. The doc doesn't stand there with laser in hand and "burns your eye!" He just presses the button and collects his $4k.

My sis had radial keratotomy 20 years ago with a perfect result and no issues. Laser is even better.

That's what many people said fifteen years ago. It WAS fifteen years ago. I think they've had the time to get it right.

This.

Now don't go to a cheap $299/eye doc with shitty/old equipment. Plan on spending $1500-2000/eye. Find a doc that has done the surgery on other docs.

I had laser eye surgery about 8 years ago. No issues.

Same here. 2006.

Of course now that I'm getting closer to my late 40s my reading vision has taken a shit the last 9 months. <cry> I almost need reading glasses.

My eyes are bad enough that the surgery wouldn't be sufficiently helpful. I would still have to wear glasses. If I did anything, I'd probably have a bunch of extra skin cut off my midsection.

Tummy tuck might be worth it. Gotta do the research to find right doc. Probably cost a shit-ton of cash but there are probably some top notch docs in Chicago area. And you definitely would want to go high end. If you haven't had your eyes looked at in a few years there may be some new options but if your cornea is to thin/curved/flat/etc there's nothing that can be done.

I guess its an option, but not right now. Our insurance barely covers glasses.

Don't know if lasik would even be covered or if it was they'd low ball the cost/allowance anyways.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Not only does the lazer machine do all the work it will map your eyes and customize the surgery by the eye. My natural vision has been 20/400 for more than a decade but my glasses correct to 20/15 so I have not been in a rush.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Congrats on reaching 4k posts, Howell. I'm a bit late to the party, as usual.

No one's commented on my glasses yet, but I'm pretty sure that's because people at my school just don't care what you look like. As long as you're taking care of yourself, they don't care, and that's how it should be. Function over form.

Handruin

Administrator
I looked into laser eye surgery but learned that my eye shape doesn't qualify. My doc said to wait until they've perfected the flexible version of the lens replacement similar to what is used when people have theirs eyes done for glaucoma.

Stereodude

Not really a
So I have a pair of headphones I really like. I thought they offered great performance for the price. They're a pair of AKG K540 headphones that I picked up from a seller on ebay around a year ago for just under $80 new in box. I was turned on to this model by a coworker who had a pair. I liked the first pair I bought enough that I wanted buy another pair to leave connected to another PC. So after waiting for a while for the right deal I bought another pair new in box on ebay for $80.

They came yesterday and they don't sound like the first pair. The most recently purchased pair sounds noticeably different from the first pair and they sound worse with a sonic signature I find unpleasant. I picked this up pretty quickly without even an A/B comparison. A subsequent A/B comparison proved I was definitely right. FWIW, both were sealed in the box when I got them. I also have two coworkers who each have a pair of the same headphone. Now I haven't done a direct comparison of all 4 pairs we have between us at one time, but I have heard all of them and going from my auditory memory my most recently purchased pair is the outlier of the set and the other three are very similar.

I'm not really sure what to do. I bought them from an individual, not a store. I guess I could complain to AKG. For now I've got the newest set "burning in" even though I don't really believe in that sort of thing. I'll see what 100 hours of high SPL playback does for them. Grrr.... :cursin:
So my buddy recently bought himself a 2nd pair of AKG 540 headphones from a Japanese seller on Amazon's marketplace. They also have same issue of not sounding like the older pairs we all have. I guess AKG tweaked the design or some of the components which results in a change in sound that's not for the better (IMHO).

Mercutio

We have those concerts every year here, too. The performances are awe-inspiring, held at dusk on the night of a full moon in a forest preserve with an outdoor amphitheater.
Not to say I wouldn't still move to California if I had a reason to go, though...

Mercutio

I know there is something terribly wrong with my 15 year old Grace cat. I don't want to take her to the vet because I'm sure I won't be bringing her home.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I know there is something terribly wrong with my 15 year old Grace cat. I don't want to take her to the vet because I'm sure I won't be bringing her home.
If you think the cat is suffering, you are being selfish by letting it in pain by fear of losing it. In the odd chance that it is fixable, the more you wait, the lesser the chances it will be curable.

Go to the vet.