Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Black Friday, Green Friday, Siberski Monday, etc.
I'm not finding a whole lot of thrilling purchases this year. :(

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I picked up some Levis at an OK price and a 64gb microSD card for $38. Maybe a movie or two. None of that involved leaving the house.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I went to Target at 9PM last night with my mother and my aunt. We all decided that we did not want to watch Ice Pawn Storage Cops on whatever channel shows that shit, because that's all my uncles wanted to do.

The line to get in stretched out and around the building, as did the line to actually make a purchase. Nonetheless, we were all in and out in under an hour.

I bought a couple $50 Nook Simple Touches. There was ANOTHER huge line that was completely and entirely for Apple products, yet as far as I could tell they weren't being sold at any sort of measurable discount.

ddrueding

Fixture
I heard Christmas music in a store about two weeks ago. That means I don't walk into a retail outlet until after Valentine's Day. I'll also walk out of any restaurant playing the same.

LunarMist

I heard Christmas music in a store about two weeks ago. That means I don't walk into a retail outlet until after Valentine's Day. I'll also walk out of any restaurant playing the same.

Seriously? Most of the holiday music is positive, harmless and relaxing. Would you prefer Hip Hop, heavy metals, or whatever loud music is in fashion these days?

Handruin

Administrator
I did not go out and buy anything. I stayed in and played card games with family members. We had a long run of playing Dominion using many expansion packs. It was a lot of fun. Now I'm back home and have to do homework/finals that are due soon. bleh.

Mercutio

You have engaged my classical music nerdity, so I feel compelled to respond. There is some absolutely GORGEOUS Christmas music in the world. As much as I'm not a fan of the season (he says as he puts on his shoes for a trip to the clusterfuck that is post-Turkeymas Walmart), you could do a lot worse for musical selection than to dig up a few of these:

Gabriel's Message:

This bit is full of wonderful music. In particular, "Als I Lay on Yoolis Nicht." Recorded at a Christian Church in Japan.

and

In the Bleak Midwinter

Vaughan Williams's "Fantasia on Christmas Carols"

Actually, between Vaughan Williams and Gustav Holst, the Anglican/Episcopalian hymnal is really without peer.

And now, off to brave the slings and arrows and Rockin' Around the Christmas Trees just to get some goddamn milk.

LunarMist

Exactly. Meanwhile I spent all my money last week, so no more frivolous shopping.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Spent the day playing with mobile phones... Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, Nexus, iPhone 4+4S, Nokia Lumia 800, Samsung E3210 (POS) doing filesystem recovery, getting contacts, messages, etc... Holy f&*k was the Windows interface different and confusing at times. The one thing I didn't like about the Lumia 800 was the lack of filtering in the call history... But will give credit to Apple for iOS6 being fairly intuitive to use.
Also got my grades back for last semester at Uni - very happy with the results, and am in week 3 of my internship for the summer and really enjoying it...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The NZXT Switch 810 is the best case I have ever worked on at any price. And the onscreen keyboard in Win8 is ok as well.
Why is this in the Something Random thread, DD?

This is the case I bought for my new setup. They lie about the cooling though; you can't stick in as many fans as they claim, and certain combinations of fan sizes (140, 120) won't fit together. The wiring on the motherboard side is totally awesome, but the other side should have been deeper to allow the mass of wires. I still haven't closed installed both the side panels. I need to figure out how to manage the wires on the other side so I can close the panel.

For all the talk of "all air intakes are filtered", that is not true only because of that small black perforated metal triangle; it's not filtered, and dust is getting in because of that. Haven't yet figured out how to seal it. It'll get wet when cleaning that filter; see next para.

Also how does one clean the front vertical filter? Hose it down as is? I'm afraid the meta parts will start to rust. I sent support an email 6 weeks ago, but never heard from them.

Overall it's the best design I've seen in a ready made case so far, but they should fix a few things and be more honest in the literature. Oh, and that small led in the back doesn't work. Common complaint, from what I can tell.

Mercutio

I'm kind of partial to the Norco 4224. It's nice to get a case and say "This has enough drive bays."
Though I'm quite fond of the NZXT Source 220 as a mainstream desktop case as well.

ddrueding

Fixture
Why is this in the Something Random thread, DD?

Dunno. Not a full review or anything. Just a comment I wanted to throw out there.

This is the case I bought for my new setup. They lie about the cooling though; you can't stick in as many fans as they claim, and certain combinations of fan sizes (140, 120) won't fit together. The wiring on the motherboard side is totally awesome, but the other side should have been deeper to allow the mass of wires. I still haven't closed installed both the side panels. I need to figure out how to manage the wires on the other side so I can close the panel.

I didn't add any fans, but I did relocate the one from the front of the upper drive cage to the back of the lower cage. I honestly can't imagine using any more; I believe that having more airflow than needed just attracts more dust.

For all the talk of "all air intakes are filtered", that is not true only because of that small black perforated metal triangle; it's not filtered, and dust is getting in because of that. Haven't yet figured out how to seal it. It'll get wet when cleaning that filter; see next para.

I would probably block it from behind with something black, a piece of mousepad or the like.

Also how does one clean the front vertical filter? Hose it down as is? I'm afraid the meta parts will start to rust. I sent support an email 6 weeks ago, but never heard from them.

That panel unclicks from the top and then lifts out entirely. Compressed air should be all you need unless there are smokers in the house, then you are screwed no matter what.

Overall it's the best design I've seen in a ready made case so far, but they should fix a few things and be more honest in the literature. Oh, and that small led in the back doesn't work. Common complaint, from what I can tell.

My LEDs work in the back, but I wish there was a way for me to wire additional accessory lighting into that same circuit without modification.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've got two fans in front of the drive cage, and two in the back of the drive cage in push pull configuration. I've always been paranoid about keeping my drives cool, and this way they are at room temperatures as they were in my old case. Never have had a drive fail on me so far.

The fans at the back of the drive cage tilt to a certain degree, and I have mine tilted. That way they blow air on the motherboard / chipset somewhat and feed the CPU fan as well. Finally I have two fans at the top, exhausting air. None in the back of the case. Fans have been matched so that I have a bit of positive air pressure. Dust should not be a problem with this case because all intakes are filtered (except that triangle thingy in the bottom front which I will block). Compressed air only does so much; at some point water will need to be used with a bit of soap. I know the front filter panel clicks open; I was asking about cleaning it after removing it. You will note that the bottom two filters are filters only without additional paraphernalia, so cleaning them should be a breeze.

ddrueding

Fixture
I suspect that putting that much airflow through your case and air not being enough to clean it are directly related. I've never had a case where that was the case.

LunarMist

Does the CPU have a rear-facing fan? If so, I prefer to have a rear case fan behind it to maintain the flow direction. You should also consider temperature- or CPU-load-controlled fans in some places to reduce total airflow when not needed.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I suspect that putting that much airflow through your case and air not being enough to clean it are directly related. I've never had a case where that was the case.
DD< I don't understand what you're saying. If you actually look at it, there are only two 140mm low speed fans pulling in air from the front, and one 140mm and one 120mm exhausting air from the top. The inside two fans are merely directing the air pulled in by the two front bottom intake fans. WHatever dust there is now is for two reasons: I have both the side panels off, and moreimportantly the triangle at the bottom front. If you run your case for a coup[le of weeks then take the front filter panel off, you'll see what I mean. That triangle has to be closed (as has the back panel in my case because I don;t have any fans there); then it is a fully filtered
situation and dust should not be an issue.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Does the CPU have a rear-facing fan? If so, I prefer to have a rear case fan behind it to maintain the flow direction. You should also consider temperature- or CPU-load-controlled fans in some places to reduce total airflow when not needed.
Lunar, the cpu fan blows air onto the heat sink. This air dissipate in all directions. Since the CPU is located near the top of the board / case, I have two exhaust fans at the top of the case. I think this is good.

LunarMist

Most of the filters have too little surface area and too much porosity to block all the dust.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I understand that the Onion is satire, but are the commie Chinese really so clueless? The guy on the horse does not look like would receive an award.

Apparently they are clueless. More important, North Korea and China are fanboys of each other, so any positive press (even if satirical) gets their attention immediately.

Mercutio