Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry. There is an attachment. It shows the windows task manager and 32 cpu windows (2 CPUs x 8 cores x 2 for hyperthreading). As the count increases, they switch to two rows of CPU counters.

Stereodude

Not really a
Sorry. There is an attachment. It shows the windows task manager and 32 cpu windows (2 CPUs x 8 cores x 2 for hyperthreading). As the count increases, they switch to two rows of CPU counters.
Why waste your time? If he wants to surf the forum not logged in so he can't see attachments that's his problem.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It's just Dave showing off his Asus DP LGA2011 board, expecting a concert of comments from envious people ranging from "Oh you're so lucky" to "GFY I hate you!". ;-)

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry, I forget that everyone here doesn't always read every thread all the time. ;)

Yeah, showing off a bit...not my rig, but I do like to play with the big toys...

Stereodude

Not really a
That certainly would improve my Bluray-stealing throughput.
That system is probably past the point where quality will be noticeably lost due to running too many threads in parallel using x264. You would want to cap the number of threads per encode and run multiple encodes in parallel.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
So you all reencode your blurays? I've just been ripping and storing them as is. Do you keep the same video quality and uncompressed sound? Menus?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You would want to cap the number of threads per encode and run multiple encodes in parallel.

That is what I would do, yes.

Maxburn said:
So you all reencode your blurays? I've just been ripping and storing them as is. Do you keep the same video quality and uncompressed sound? Menus?

I don't care about menus ever. They're just a pain in the ass. If I care enough about a movie to want the extras, I'll buy it and keep the disc, but in general I don't give enough of a crap about anything other than commentary tracks to bother.

Reencoding normally looks fine if I do a high profile, two pass encode at sufficient bit-rate for the content.

Handbrake does not yet support lossless HD audio but again, most of the stuff that I really care about getting that, I have on discs that I purchased so going back an re-ripping isn't out of the question.

I don't have enough disk space to store all the stuff I acquire as-is. My target file size for a BD rip is somewhere between 4GB and 20GB. In a typical week I'm adding around 80 - 120GB of re-encoded movies to my storage pool. It would be... rather more than that if I left the content unmolested.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I find it really annoying dealing with TV episodes on bluray without menus and not knowing which is which, my friend that also reencodes everything complains about this constantly. I used to spend a LOT of time reencoding DVD's with cinema craft encoder (big three method) but I don't miss all the time spent doing that. Now I am sort of in a transitional period and stuff I don't necessarily care about being top quality that I normally would have reencoded I am now trying to get in other methods, primarily iTunes or amazon that I don't have to store locally.

I really hope the next dune player can handle amazon video but I doubt it will so I will likely have to get something separately. I will also get one with an optical drive, it was a mistake getting one that is network only meaning I have to rip something before I can watch it. That there will save some more space for me.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm in the middle of getting my car detail on. I've never done it before and I don't want to start on my brand new car (when I get it) so I decided to use my wife's "new" car, that I'm currently driving, as the test dummy. So far I've washed and claybar'd it. Now onto polishing with a random orbital. :cool:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Never done it. I do machine wash and a hand wax about three times a year. I really like metallic silver, can be filthy and still look clean. Owned a couple black and dark blue vehicles, they always looked dirty, never again. I was even less particular about my bikes, only washed them a couple times a year. Bugs piled up on the front three deep sometimes.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm in the middle of getting my car detail on. I've never done it before and I don't want to start on my brand new car (when I get it) so I decided to use my wife's "new" car, that I'm currently driving, as the test dummy. So far I've washed and claybar'd it. Now onto polishing with a random orbital. :cool:

This is the primary reason I'm excited to get my garage cleaned up. It is currently pouring down with rain outside, and spending the afternoon in a warm garage with some tunes cleaning up the ride sounds like fun.

Mercutio

I found a $50 bill today while I was out for a walk. Who the hell drops a $50? Who even CARRIES $50s when they can help it?

I find it really annoying dealing with TV episodes on bluray without menus and not knowing which is which, my friend that also reencodes everything complains about this constantly.

The key to having a massive store of video content is organization. Handbrake allows a pretty straightforward workflow for converting a disc made up of multiple episodes even if you don't want to script, but there are actually tools for straightening out TV show file names if that's an annoyance. If you can get something like showname.SxxEyy.mkv you're probably golden, but between theRenamer and Filebot you should be able to whip a video collection into shape in a few hours even if your stuff was named while you were in the process of drinking yourself into a coma when you encoded them.

Streaming content is available too inconsistently and has drawbacks in terms of quality and extra content that make it extremely unappealing. I already have the procedures and infrastructure in place to deal with ripping and storing locally and I can't see that changing any time soon.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I found a $50 bill today while I was out for a walk. Who the hell drops a $50? Who even CARRIES $50s when they can help it?

People drop things all the time. I usually carry $50 and 100 bills. $20s are too bulky to carry more than few. There really should be $500 bills by now, but that won't happen.

Mercutio

It's pretty typical for me to have several hundred dollars in $20s on me. When the stack gets too big I deposit them at an ATM. $50s and $100s are a curse since most of the businesses I frequent won't take them.

LunarMist

Damn, it must be tough in Illinois. Around here you can use a fifty anywhere. At least I've never been refused due to the denomination. I did have a problem at a certain retail store that did not want to accept cash for over $3000 IIRC, but that was years ago.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The key to having a massive store of video content is organization. Handbrake allows a pretty straightforward workflow for converting a disc made up of multiple episodes even if you don't want to script, but there are actually tools for straightening out TV show file names if that's an annoyance. If you can get something like showname.SxxEyy.mkv you're probably golden, but between theRenamer and Filebot you should be able to whip a video collection into shape in a few hours even if your stuff was named while you were in the process of drinking yourself into a coma when you encoded them.

Streaming content is available too inconsistently and has drawbacks in terms of quality and extra content that make it extremely unappealing. I already have the procedures and infrastructure in place to deal with ripping and storing locally and I can't see that changing any time soon.

I think the problem with episodic disks is more along the lines of not having any idea which file or name the ripper finds on the disk equals which episode, then you mix in things like normal episode verses extra footage episode and things get really confusing. Are you saying those renaming utilities figure all that out somehow??

I limit streaming to stuff I don't really care about the quality like house or big bang theory. Stuff like deadwood and game of thrones I get the bluray like I do with most movies. Then there are the things that they did so hilariously bad of a transfer that it just doesn't matter what you do, like predator. It is a running joke between my friends that they took the movie, lost the film, taped it off channel 6 to release to vhs, took that to go to dvd and did some upscaling to get to bluray. Movie looks terrible no matter what you version you get.

Mercutio

In cases where I suspect an oddball episode sequence, I usually look at the episode run times on IMDB or something to match things up. Even for a disc with a lot of episodes, that only takes a minute or two. 90% of the time or better, the title sequence is also the episode sequence and there's no issue.

I haven't figured out a good way to script TV show rips, but the amount of time it takes me to do one by hand is probably still under five minutes.

Therenamer and filebot are incredibly useful if you have files with shitty but still somewhat appropriate names.

Mercutio

In cases where I suspect an oddball episode sequence, I usually look at the episode run times on IMDB or something to match things up. Even for a disc with a lot of episodes, that only takes a minute or two. 90% of the time or better, the title sequence is also the episode sequence and there's no issue.

I haven't figured out a good way to script TV show rips, but the amount of time it takes me to do one by hand is probably still under five minutes.

Therenamer and filebot are incredibly useful if you have files with shitty but still somewhat appropriate names.

Handruin

Administrator
I was perplexed to find a dollar bill on the ground while walking through Home Depot this afternoon. Before even picking it up I looked around in suspect. I didn't want to be on some parody show where it was stuck to the ground or someone comes out from behind the corner to claim I stole it or some BS. Then I told myself, that's a lot of fuss for only a dollar. The last time I had a hundred dollar bill was when I left Vegas last summer. I rarely ever see one of those or even keep any more than a few $20's on me. Most anything I buy goes on a credit card these days. The times when I have cash are when I go out for a group meal and people pay in cash and I take the cash and put it on my credit card to earn points. It's a poor man's way of laundering free money. :king:

LunarMist

I was about to say that I would not pick up that $50 either as it could be part of a game or scam, and it is not mine anyway.

Mercutio

I actually find money pretty regularly on the route that I normally walk. I found $20s three different times last year. Another time I found a wad of $17 (a five and a bunch of ones), and I bet I find $1 bills at least once a week.

It's probably a combination of being fairly observant and having crappy posture.

An interesting observation: One of my customers has always had his in-office PA system set up to play WLS, the local Tea Party mouthpiece. Every time I'm over there it's Rush or Hannity or Savage or something. We usually give each other shit about politics (he likes to turn up the volume when I'm over there).

Apparently he changed the station a few weeks back. Now he has his employees listening to regular adult contemporary something or other.

I asked him about it this evening and he basically said that he basically thinks the national Republican party is completely insane and it's getting worse rather than better.

LunarMist

It's not too smart to bombard employees with political rhetoric. That's the kind of crap that creates a literally hostile workplace.

Mercutio

It's not too smart to bombard employees with political rhetoric. That's the kind of crap that creates a literally hostile workplace.

Businesses with less than 10 employees have a lot more leeway about certain things though in general I agree completely.

My office is entirely Catholic except for me. One of my coworkers in particular absolutely can't make the distinction between religious and secular activities. She finally quit inviting me to attend services but a couple weeks ago she still pestered me about not having my ashes and every time there's a holiday she asks if my people "celebrate that one."

Which gets real annoying 'round about Mother's Day.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have learned there a few topics that should not get dicussed at work:
Religion
Nuclear Power
Politics
Guns

These are very polarizing topics.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Batman rent his car for the 24-hours race at LeMans this summer : Nisan Deltawing. 1.6L 4-cyl engine delivering 300hp and probably sipping gas compared to the other cars in that race. Makes the new turbo-charged engine in the Cadillac ATS look shy (2L, 270hp IIRC). Interesting concept.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Direct injection is turning out to be a lot more important than I thought it would be.