Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A dentist I've done work for in the past told me that dental insurance is pretty much never worthwhile. The amounts that the insurance will pay on claims haven't changed significantly since the mid-80s, but the premiums have increased many times over. It's extra-special scam-y even for insurance.

Handruin

Administrator
I have all four of mine impacted. It has been recommended several times by different dentists throughout my life to remove them proactively. I did the research and the actual data is that only a very small percentage of people actually have problems but if they do, the problems tend to be significant and relatively costly (compared to proactively removing them). I decided to accept the risk and not remove them unless there is a problem for by my calculations. statistically the expected cost is much lower leaving them in. I've never had a dentist disagree. I think removing wisdom teeth is a profit center for them.

P.S. I also don't have insurance that would pay to remove them so the cost would come out of my pocket. Insurance could change the cost calculations.

Normally I would agree that it is a profit center. Their practice got paid over $1600 for about a half hour of work and materials in total. Dentists have asked me to remove them for over 15 years now. My jaw is not aligned properly with the bottom jaw extending out slightly further than the top. Due to this my top-most wisdom teeth do not align with or touch naturally with the bottom set. All my wisdom teeth were out and not in a complicated state. Due to the top wisdom teeth not touching correctly they have decayed over the years to a point where I know if I don't take them out, they will cause more problems. The bottom wisdom teeth are healthy and not being removed. My teeth are otherwise all healthy.

Handruin

Administrator
A dentist I've done work for in the past told me that dental insurance is pretty much never worthwhile. The amounts that the insurance will pay on claims haven't changed significantly since the mid-80s, but the premiums have increased many times over. It's extra-special scam-y even for insurance.

My dental insurance through my company is inexpensive per month. I agree that it doesn't cover a lot of the expensive procedures but it has helped to offset some of them for me. All my check ups and cleaning are covered with a max of two per year. My periodontist visit I did a month ago for a lower skin graft cost me over $900 out of pocket after the insurance covered $1500 which is the max for a year. The wisdom teeth cost me $130ish out of pocket. Hence why I did the graft in December and this in January when insurance restarts for the year.

Handruin

Administrator
Awesome. I had three removed at once and they were "impacted" or something. They had me under for at least an hour.

How was your recovery for impacted wisdom teeth? How long did it take to get back to normal?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice

Are you talking about some BS "private" dental insurance or employer supplied dental insurance?

My dental insurance (through employer) is $2.31 per pay period ($60/year) with a $50/year deductible. I've had 2 crowns at $700'ish/each and insurance paid 50%. So I have already saved $700'ish on dental work. So if I have zero dental work done it will be 11+ years before I start to see any negative returns.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
None of mine have erupted. They are all sitting sideways against the jaw buried deep in the gum. It would cost at the least a couple thousand per tooth to remove them. Currently, they are not infected nor are they affecting the adjacent teeth and they've been that way all my life (50+ years) so it is not likely to change. I just don't see any good reason to remove them unless something changes.

Handruin

Administrator
My dental insurance through my company is inexpensive per month. I agree that it doesn't cover a lot of the expensive procedures but it has helped to offset some of them for me. All my check ups and cleaning are covered with a max of two per year. My periodontist visit I did a month ago for a lower skin graft cost me over $900 out of pocket after the insurance covered $1500 which is the max for a year. The wisdom teeth cost me $130ish out of pocket. Hence why I did the graft in December and this in January when insurance restarts for the year.

Are you talking about some BS "private" dental insurance or employer supplied dental insurance?

My dental insurance (through employer) is $2.31 per pay period ($60/year) with a $50/year deductible. I've had 2 crowns at $700'ish/each and insurance paid 50%. So I have already saved $700'ish on dental work. So if I have zero dental work done it will be 11+ years before I start to see any negative returns.

All the money I've spent for my dental insurance in the 10+ years I've been with the company was less than the costs covered from these two events.

Handruin

Administrator
None of mine have erupted. They are all sitting sideways against the jaw buried deep in the gum. It would cost at the least a couple thousand per tooth to remove them. Currently, they are not infected nor are they affecting the adjacent teeth and they've been that way all my life (50+ years) so it is not likely to change. I just don't see any good reason to remove them unless something changes.

I would agree with this. If you're able to function fine and not cause negative health problems to the other teeth or yourelf, then I would also leave them alone. My dentist encouraged me to also take out my bottom wisdom teeth on a few occasions, but every time I pressed him for a reason why he didn't have a good reason. He finally agreed that they are healthy and not decaying or even needing fillings, so I left them.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
But every dentist I've ever seen, when they first look at the X-rays wants to remove them and every 4-5 years with the same dentist will again bring up the subject. I think the Standard care model tells the dentist that they are supposed to preventively remove them so that they are obligated to mention it but they all agree that it is statistically very unlikely that they will cause problems, but if there is a problem ... So I get to go through this same discussion every few years. It annoys me.

Handruin

Administrator
Do you think some of it may also be liability? If they don't recommend it and document it and then you happen to fall into that statistical bracket and have a complicated issue, they'll want to e able to show you were given the advice and declined to take it.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Do you think some of it may also be liability? If they don't recommend it and document it and then you happen to fall into that statistical bracket and have a complicated issue, they'll want to e able to show you were given the advice and declined to take it.

Undoubtably.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
My wisdom teeth were removed a long time ago for reasons of crowding. I was under the whole time so I don't know how long it took. I did enjoy the effects of the gas for quite a while however.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I did enjoy the effects of the gas for quite a while however.

The only time I've ever gotten something I "enjoyed" from a doctor was a shot of Demerol when I shattered my left shoulder socket into a dozen pieces after falling off my roof onto a sidewalk. However, it wasn't worth the pain (before the shot) that they inflicted while manipulating my arm while doing x-rays. I was told that they can't give any pain killers till they know the extent of the injuries because it may mask a problem. Demerol == really good stuff.

Mercutio

Speaking of oral surgery and dry socket and painkillers and other unpleasant stuff...
When I was 12, I had a tooth removed so that a badly-impacted tooth that was essentially growing from the roof of my mouth could be anchored and moved down to where it was supposed to go.

During the oral surgery, I woke up but couldn't move. I could feel every damned thing the surgeon was doing, but I couldn't do anything about it. I don't really know how long I was like that, but after a while the nurse finally noticed that I was blinking and they put me back under.

So that was fun.

And then I had this giant pit in the roof of my mouth and of course it got infected. I had to go and get it cleaned and packed with gauze every day for two weeks.

That was not a happy time.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Since we're swapping tooth stories:

All 4 of my wisdom teeth have been removed; all impacted and painful. Most painful experience was the tooth taken out in the US when I was visiting in 1983. Was referred to this old geezer who couldn't get a grip on the upper wisdom. He calls for the aide to assist him. No dice. He tells the receptionist to come help. Then at one point he takes a large screwdriver like thing in one hand, a hammer in the other, and starts banging away. I thought my skull would disintegrate. He finally got it out and I went home. A couple of hours later, that side of my face was the size of a football. I didn't know which hell I had been transported to. It took about 3 days to get back to normal. Being a visitor to the US, I was crestfallen at the experience I had had at the mecca of healthcare.

Back home, another one had to come out. The dentist worked alone and took about a half hour to get it out, no problems. It was odd because it had six small roots instead of the usual two large ones. I gave him permission for it to be displayed at the dental college.

When I decided to get braces at 31 (every dentist who looked in my mouth told me I needed braces bad), 4 teeth had to be extracted to make room for the realignment. Two were milk teeth canines that never fell, and two were their replacements that, having no place to go, went and embedded themselves into the roof of my mouth. Since the roof of the mouth had to be cut and stitched, a dental surgeon was going to do the job.

I showed up, and they wanted to put me under. I refused, because I had to drive back home. They almost canceled the whole thing, but I persuaded them to do it under local. They made me sign a waiver, though. Four nurses held me down in the beginning, but let go when I didn't move a muscle as they worked. I din't feel any pain at all, but the smell of blood, and the smell of the drill slicing into enamel, and the splatter of blood was all very yuck. They made me wait for an hour before letting me go home.

I somehow drove home (~ 25 miles), bleeding like a struck pig all the way, gauze in my mouth. Apparently nobody called the cops on seeing a gruesome figure drive on the freeway.

Wouldn't do this again, though.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have had a lot of teeth removed and thought I had it bad. But wow. Nothing like teeth coming in in the wrong place!

Mercutio

I just found out that the reason I had to get up at 3AM to restore crap from backups on a server I manage is that one of my customers hired a new person and, rather than telling me to set up a new PC, sat the person down at the server and gave her the domain administrator password to log in with.
Said employee proceeded to "clean up" anything that she didn't recognize as related to her job, including most of the files for their public-facing web site.

Coug, I think I need murder lessons.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Coug, I think I need murder lessons.
Meet the person you intend to kill like you are about to introduce yourself and invite to shake hands. When the victim avance his/her hand, only grab two fingers with your entire hand (giving you a tremendous strenght advantage) and fold them on the side they aren't supposed to fold while pulling the victim's hand towards you. If you just break his/her fingers without pulling the hand, the victim will probably move backward, making the rest of the job harder.

Pulling the hand with the broken fingers should allow you to gain an easy access to the victim's head. Don't rush things. Start by firmly grabbing an ear ; the rest of the head should follow. Do your best to orientate the head so you can place a blow to the front side base of the neck with the back of your free hand with the most autority you can while remaining precise. It is important not to hit the back muscle (trapeze) or only the throat as it won't disable as effectively the victim for the finishing move. If you hit right, the victim's nervous system should partiallly shut down and the victim will lose most of the control it has over its body. They often fall to the ground and have spasms in their entire body at this point.

When the victim has lost control, quickly grab the head and sits the victim's back on your legs. Keep the back of the victim's head on the base of you stomach. It is about the best place to apply the most pressure you are able to. Assuming you are right handed, place your right hand below the victim's jaw, grabbing its left side. Place your left hand on the top right portion of the head, slightly on the front of the skull, but not too much or your hand willl slip when you'll apply pressure. Your thumb must face the front side of the victim's skull. You won't be able to apply as much pressure if you place your hand with your thumb facing the back of the skull. When ready, pull your right hand up and to the right and push your left hand down to the left. Make the movement as strongly and swiftly as possible : a neck is harder to break than most people think.

If done properly, success should follow. The entire operation should take less than ten seconds, four or five if you're good.

Post Scriptum : The above is strickly written for academic purpose and meant to answer the curiosity of a member of this forum. It is in no way meant to encourage the act.

Stereodude

Not really a
So I put 6266.441 gallons of premium unleaded in my 2002 Nissan Maxima SE while I had it. My average fuel economy for those gallons was 23.8891MPG. The most I ever paid for gas was $4.509 and the least was $1.359.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
The more Coug talks about how much of a badass he is the more I'm convinced he's not.

Mercutio

The more Coug talks about how much of a badass he is the more I'm convinced he's not.

Having seen an actual photo of Coug, I can say that if nothing else he seems to have taken his sartorial cues from the earlier episodes of the Terminator franchise.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You're probably right, I must be a 12-years-old wannabee. Please don't show me blood, I'll faint.

To tell the truth, I was disappointed when I read that comment. Not that I was morally destroyed by the opinion of a guy I'll probably never meet in person, but you all know how serviceable a person I am. Like it's the case every time I provide advices, I would have preferred to read something like "thanks, it worked". Oh well, can't please people all the time.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Based on my personal experience, those that do know don't or only very rarely talk about it, those that are wanna-be's tend to gloat/boast about their achievements...

However, based on what Coug has written in that post and previously, I would lean towards the former. (that he only rarely talks about it... remember a while ago about someone owing him some money... ). ;-)

PS. There are some easier and more efficient methods to advising someone of your dislike for them...

ddrueding

Fixture
I didn't appreciate just how big the U3011 was until I put it next to the U2711b. When it was next to the Sharp 42" screen it seemed reasonable, now it is just insane.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Watching the World time Clock, I noticed that Brisbane doesn't have the DST while the southern australian cities (Adelaide, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney) do. Weird.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Watching the World time Clock, I noticed that Brisbane doesn't have the DST while the southern australian cities (Adelaide, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney) do. Weird.

That's because it's still too hot to eat dinner at 7pm DST, and going to bed at 10pm DST is diabolical (you need to realize that very few houses are fully air-conditioned).

Daylight Saving is supposed to give people more daylight leisure hours, and I've certainly appreciated it in other climates, but here, it's more a case of waiting for the daylight to end. On hot days, I don't venture out for my afternoon walk before 6-6:30pm, meaning I can get back and eat dinner after 7pm. With daylight saving, it would be 5-5:30pm, which can be 3C hotter, so I'd be less likely to exercise.

Where it's a pest is flying interstate for business. I'd have to rise at 4am to make a 9:30-10am meeting, so I've usually tried to sleep over.

Having said all that, we're currently having remarkably cool weather (although 38C and 37C a few days ago).

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Read the captain has been detained and was reported to have left the ship with passengers and crew still aboard.

Yeah a stellar piece of work there, he was going to "man the shore based rescue" whilst leaving the remaining crew with little command or direction. Hours later they choppered off the remaining passengers. The purser was just found alive and the honeymooning South Korean couple earlier so hopefully some more to yet come out or already be on land.

Here's the track:

Http://d38ecmhxsvwui3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Picture-227.png

"Mr Schettino told Italian television he did not understand how the ship ran aground: "Even though we were sailing along the coast with the tourist navigation system, I firmly believe the rocks weren't detected.

"The ship wasn't heading forward but sideways as if under water there was this rock projection.

"I don't know if it was detected or not, but on the nautical chart it was marked just as water and some 100-150 metres (330ft-500ft) from the rocks, and we were about 300 metres from the shore, more or less.

"We shouldn't have had this contact," he added."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16566513

I guess the data recorders will show where it was when it hit. It seems grossly negligent to me to have that boat going full speed so close to the coast. 300m. Was he attempting a nautical "flyby"? The Concordia is itself 290 metres long and takes several miles to slow down in the normal course of operations.