Something Random

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
At work our computers are so locked down they are only good for e-mail and Office. We can get on the internet but it is about as fast as dial-up and it is so locked down that only 'company approved' sites are available. So my time waster in going to a weather map, putting it in loop mode, and staring at it while thinking of all the other places I would rather be. I have to be careful though, the IT Nazis time how long you are on a web site.

Unfortunate. Can you take in a laptop and cellphone for data tethering?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
At work our computers are so locked down they are only good for e-mail and Office. We can get on the internet but it is about as fast as dial-up and it is so locked down that only 'company approved' sites are available. So my time waster in going to a weather map, putting it in loop mode, and staring at it while thinking of all the other places I would rather be. I have to be careful though, the IT Nazis time how long you are on a web site.

Sounds like a lovely place to work.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If you attach any computer to the IT network, you can't get 'out' of the plant. Then their sniffing software finds your computer and they want to know why you have it attached to the network. Wireless is verbotten.
Smart phones and other such devices work pretty good though.

This used to be a great place to work until the Nazis bought us.

Handruin

Administrator
I had no idea Utah was big on Shakespeare. I'm about to go see A Midsummer Night's Dream at SUU.

Handruin

Administrator
The show was really well done. It was about three hours long and the theater was really nice and cozy. This year is their 50th anniversary of running the plays.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The PC, as we know it, turn 30 today. IBM launched the PC (the 5150) on August 12th 1981. King Quest 1 must be about the same age too. It's the first computer game I remember.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
The PC, as we know it, turn 30 today. IBM launched the PC (the 5150) on August 12th 1981. King Quest 1 must be about the same age too. It's the first computer game I remember.

The IEEE Computer magazine for August has the summarised history of the development, as well as an interview with some of the people who actually designed and implemented it! Very interesting reading.

But alas, how different would the world be if IBM had chosen a Motorola or a Zilog CPU instead of the Intel 8088? And if CP/M was chosen over PC-DOS/MS-DOS? (Oh wait, we would all be running OS/2 on PowerPC or similar architecture)! :geek:

PS. http://www.computer.org/portal/web/computer/home

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
UPS should burn to the ground and its leaders put in a somalian prison for the rest of their worthless lives. How can a multinational company have such an inexistent customer care? They make public employees look productive, that's strong. I'm pissed at them to no end. I don't know how I'll be able to retrieve my package from them without doing something that would send me to jail untill my retirement. If you ever hear about the missing link between humans and apes, it's being the counter at their Lachine's facility. Next time I go there (which will probably be the last time ever I'll be legally admitted on any UPS properties with the show I plan to make), I'll bring a banana and tell the missing link I'll give it if it hurries its lazy ass to bring me my package. When you set foot there, you feel like you've been teleported to Port-au-Prince (you know, that shit-hole we keep sending money to, but where it's always wasted without results?).

If you have suggestions on how to hurt that company and make them loose money, I'm all ears.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Three computers and the TV have been on most of the day and the heat is killing me in here. :( It is not that warm outside, but the temp is 7 °F higher than in the living room. The UPS was beeping on and off today from grid issues and the fan was running full tilt. It is a crazy amount of stuff for the one UPS: three computers, two monitors, TV and cable box, 20+ HDDs, printers and all the computer accessories. At least I'm not stressing the computers with games or such. I'm not sure how close it is to the 950W limit.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Are all IPad users douchebags? Several people I know who are hardcore Windows types have bought IPads and are very happy with them. I'm tempted myself, but want to wait to see if the Ipad 3 is coming soon as rumored. I might end up being a douchebag meself! ;)

LunarMist

Of course not all. Merc must be joking. Many people use them at work or for business purposes.

LunarMist

WTF is that yellow-orange colorant in the "buttered" popcorn? It seems to have a left a permanent stain on my underwear. :mad: