Search function is garbage.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Title.

/rant incoming

I've never been on a forum with a search function that wasn't utter shit.

SD posted a while back about a nice portable music player. I think he said it shipped from China as it wasn't available in the U.S. yet? I wanted to re-read his post as I'm looking for such a device THAT ISN'T A PHONE.

Went to search page, put in "Sony" as search term as I was thinking it was a Sony? Not sure? Put in search user Stereodude, clicked search. I got 11 hits. THAT'S IT. So SD has only used the word "Sony" in 11 posts out of the 10000+ posts. No "next page" or "more results" for additional search results. WTF. I typed in "portable" SD out used the word "portable" in four posts. EVER. I tried "mp3 player," received "The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: mp3" So SD only typed "player" into 8 posts. EVER! One dated 2006.

Tried "search everything" and "search threads". ZIP. Tried posts newer that 2008. ZIP. "All forums" highlighted, child forums checked. ZIP. Christ.

I know I'm the dumbest person on this forums but what am I doing wrong?

Stereodude

Not really a

Stereodude

Not really a
The search function is pretty bad though. Looking for the word walkman in posts by me turns up only 2 posts, and the one in that thread, where I use it isn't one of the returned results. This thread is one and the something random thread.

Handruin

Administrator
I'll take a look into the search engine part of the forum. It's very possible I need to do some tweaking or reindexing to get it working better after importing from our previous forum. One of the issues is that they use MySQL's full text search feature and MySQL will only index words greater than or equal to 4 characters in length by default. I will need to override that to get better search resolution. None the less, the word "walkman" should have fit that but it appears it did not.

This forum (XenForo) also sells an additional module to improve the search but I didn't spend the money on it.

Handruin

Administrator
I've deleted the search cache and reindexed. I think it might be working a little better now. I searched on walkman from post SD made and I believe there are more hits now.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
This is what you're looking for: https://www.storageforum.net/forum/threads/audio-equipment.5878/page-13

The player was eventually released in the US. They're several generations beyond it now. There's is a NW-A50 series out elsewhere in the world. Not in the US yet. The NW-A40 series is the latest available in the US now.

Yeah that's it. I've been eyeballing the Sony NW-A45 for $220 instead of just buying a cheaper Sandisk Clip Sport Plus for $50. I'd hate to buy the A45 then have the A55 come out 2 weeks later. Do you remember the lag time between the Japanese availability of the A30 series and North American availability?

Sony specs says max micro SD card size is 128 GB but didn't you use a 200 GB card? Work OK? Although 16 GB+128 GB is more than enough for me. Probably don't even need any card actually as: 1) don't have any FLAC files, only MP3 and 2) I wouldn't be away from a computer long enough that 16 GB would be a problem. I guess I should re-rip to FLAC if I get a better DAP.

The search function is pretty bad though. Looking for the word walkman in posts by me turns up only 2 posts, and the one in that thread, where I use it isn't one of the returned results. This thread is one and the something random thread.

I thought it was just me not using the search function correctly.

I've deleted the search cache and reindexed. I think it might be working a little better now. I searched on walkman from post SD made and I believe there are more hits now.

Seems to be working better now. Much thanks for looking into it. I thought maybe the search was only searching the Feedback forum (even though "search all" was selected) instead of the whole site.

Stereodude

Not really a
Yeah that's it. I've been eyeballing the Sony NW-A45 for $220 instead of just buying a cheaper Sandisk Clip Sport Plus for $50. I'd hate to buy the A45 then have the A55 come out 2 weeks later. Do you remember the lag time between the Japanese availability of the A30 series and North American availability?
It was months, might have been close to almost a half year. Just buy the international version from AJ if you don't want to wait.

Sony specs says max micro SD card size is 128 GB but didn't you use a 200 GB card? Work OK? Although 16 GB+128 GB is more than enough for me. Probably don't even need any card actually as: 1) don't have any FLAC files, only MP3 and 2) I wouldn't be away from a computer long enough that 16 GB would be a problem. I guess I should re-rip to FLAC if I get a better DAP.
Yes, I'm using a 200GB card in mine. Works fine. I'd expect that a 256 or larger would work fine too.

Stereodude

Not really a
Yes, I'm using a 200GB card in mine. Works fine. I'd expect that a 256 or larger would work fine too.
FWIW, a 256gB Sandisk Ultra micro sdxc card doesn't work in the player. It won't recognize that a card is in the player. The 200gB one works fine.

Stereodude

Not really a
So I ordered a black Sony NW-A55 on eBay for $185 + 10% ($18.50) back in eBay Bucks from a seller in Hong Kong Tuesday night since Sony never saw fit to bring it to the US in the past year it's been out in Asia. It arrived via FedEx this morning. That's a pretty quick turnaround for free shipping from Asia. I've had Amazon orders, even with Prime, take longer to get to me. It's charging right now.

It works fine with the "512GB" (really 500GB [base 10 GB]) Patriot EP uSDXC card I put in it. That Patriot EP uSDXC card also isn't recognized by my NW-A35. :( Sony claims the A30 series, A40 series, and A50 series all support up to 2TB uSDXC cards. I have the latest firmware, so I'm not sure why they don't work with the A35. I'm pretty sure the Lexar 256GB card I had worked fine in the NW-A35 (the card was ultimately bad) but more recent large uSDXC cards aren't recognized in the NW-A35.

Anyhow, the NW-A55 a nice unit. I like the more rounded design and larger buttons vs. the A35. In my quick listen so far it sounds fine (as expected). I haven't tried the DAC function or Bluetooth receiver capability yet.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
It probably nothing, but the Sony WM-Port on the A55 vs a standard USB was a bit concerning. I was interested in the A55 but not enough to buy it from an Asian seller. Now the next gen A100 is coming out soon, but only in Asia and Europe.

Sony has written off the NA market. :(

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So you have 500BG of audios? I didn't know there was that much MP3 in the world.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't know the ratio of MP3 to AFLAC, but it must be many hundreds or thousands of hours.
I guess that is why you are the StereoDude. :cool:

EBH

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmmm. I have almost 900GB, the vast majority of which is FLAC.

Do we need to switch user names? ;)