MP3 player rant

Stereodude

Not really a
Why aren't there any competent 2GB flash based mp3 players?

I want a MP3 player, not a video/photo player. I have a 512MB Samsung YP-T6X that I won that I really like. Why can't someone make a 2GB player like this. Instead we get color displays, proprietary connectors, and players that don't support Universal Mass Storage.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have seen thinking the same. I still use a little 1.5 year old 1GB Creative Maovu nano-something that takes a single AAA cell. A 2GB version would be perfect for those 14-18 hour international flight(s). The Apple stuff is useless for my needs, and everyone seems to copy Apple.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You probably won't like it for various reasons, but Lexar makes a cap-like player for the JumpDrive Sport, and it usually comes with a piddly JumpDrive Sport USB stick. Buy it (or the cap-player alone, which is sometimes available), and stick a 2GB JupmDrive Sport in there.

mangyDOG

Learning Storage Performance
Can you get these in the States?

The player itself has no memory at all, you just stick in an MMC or SD card with MP3s on it and away you go. Want more music just get a few extra SD cards. They are only USB1 compatible, but who cares - just use a USB2 card reader, or better yet have a notebook or PC with one built in.

cheers,
mangyDOG.

Stereodude

Not really a
Continuing my earlier rant...

Lexar also makes a very basic player that uses SD cards, but it's a little big, and is kinda cheap looking, and it lacks a resume feature.

PNY makes a pretty basic 2GB player, but apparently it doesn't resume where it left off if you turn it off (only if it shuts itself off) and it doesn't play tracks in alphabetic/numeric order.

The other thing is that you nearly end up paying $200 for a 2 gig flash based device where you can get a good 20gig 1.8" HD based player for basically the same amount. Of course, I already have a 40 gig 1.8" HD based player, and I want a smaller mp3 player.

Flash memory prices have taken a huge dive in the past few weeks, maybe I'll get lucky and flash mp3 player prices will do the same (doubtful).

Stereodude

Not really a
mangyDOG said:
Can you get these in the States?

The player itself has no memory at all, you just stick in an MMC or SD card with MP3s on it and away you go. Want more music just get a few extra SD cards. They are only USB1 compatible, but who cares - just use a USB2 card reader, or better yet have a notebook or PC with one built in.

cheers,
mangyDOG.
There are players like that in the US, but I haven't seen that exact one. That one looks alright except for the overly basic display (no text support), and the short'ish battery life.

Basically, I want a player like this or this except with 2GB of memory.

Dare to dream... :evil:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You won't hear this very often but: I agree with Stereodude.

I think the first thing that needs to happen with solid-state players is that everyone needs to stop copying Apple or trying to copy Apple. At this point, no one is going to buy an Apple-like player when they can buy the real thing. Non-Apple players need to compete in some other way that a rational consumer might find more appealing.

I'd love to see a more standard set of controls for SSD players - I hate it when someone asks me to explain how to operate their player, because I have to spend three or five minutes figuring it out.

Stereodude

Not really a
Mercutio said:
I think the first thing that needs to happen with solid-state players is that everyone needs to stop copying Apple or trying to copy Apple. At this point, no one is going to buy an Apple-like player when they can buy the real thing. Non-Apple players need to compete in some other way that a rational consumer might find more appealing.
Exactly... It's not like they're going to beat Apple at Apple's own game. Apple has had decade of making inferior products that sell at a premium in the marketplace.

It's time to make solid useful products at a reasonable price. Do they really expect people to watch video on these cell phone sized displays?

Mercutio

I've seen younger people do it, but that's the same group of people who use cell phones for things besides making phone calls and might actually carry around one of those little Nintendo handhelds that aren't Gameboys.

You kids get off my lawn!

Someone gave me an ipod a few years ago. I used it for about 15 minutes before I sold the stupid thing. Nowadays I very infrequently wish I had a portable player, but in general I don't think it they're worth the effort.

Personally, I'd like to see a small cell phone with non-retarded music play capabilities (ie not a Rockr, which IIRC is limited to storage of 100 songs, which is not much). I'm already permanently attached to my cell phone and I just don't see the point in carrying around another device. The cell phone has fairly rich control options and nowadays they have pretty good displays, too. The phone/MP3 player wouldn't have to be THAT much smarter to handle voice commands from the semi-obligatory headset, either.

LunarMist

Stereodude said:
We're getting warm :-?

It seems that cube is not the best shape for a portable player. In pockets it may cause discomfort and unsightly bulges, not to mention fabric wear and possible injury.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Personally, I'd like to see a small cell phone with non-retarded music play capabilities (ie not a Rockr, which IIRC is limited to storage of 100 songs, which is not much).

The LG VX8100 rocks the casbah. The only thing it is missing IMO is easy sync with a computer.

Stereodude

Not really a
LunarMist said:
It seems that cube is not the best shape for a portable player. In pockets it may cause discomfort and unsightly bulges, not to mention fabric wear and possible injury.
I think the idea behind the mobiblu player is that you wear it around your neck like a pendant/lanyard.

Mercutio

Howell said:
The LG VX8100 rocks the casbah. The only thing it is missing IMO is easy sync with a computer.

That does look good. The only problem is that it's made by LG, a company whose hardware I've had consistently poor experiences with. :(

The Samsung SCH-a970 looks a little better in terms of features, but it's a full ounce heavier than the vx8100. That's a PITA, since I carry my phone in my pocket instead of on my belt.

I wouldn't mind moving to a Smartphone of some kind, except I don't like the way they're shaped. The ones that're a reasonable shape have crappy battery life. :mad:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have been using LG phones since 2001. I highly recommend them. Just because LG makes crappy CD-ROMs doesn't mean they make crappy cell phones. LG is a large company; their computer equipment is probably designed and manufactured by a completely different division than their cell phones.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
The only problem is that it's made by LG, a company whose hardware I've had consistently poor experiences with. :(

I have only ever personally owned LG phones. I have had to use many many Motorola phones for work. My previous LG phone took much abuse until it fell apart. The top of the phone broke away. The phone still functioned enough to transfer my contacts to my new phone. My previous LG was the best selling phone for Verizon while it was available.

FWIW, It would be a hard sell to get me to another manufacturer.

LunarMist

Stereodude said:
I think the idea behind the mobiblu player is that you wear it around your neck like a pendant/lanyard.

Oh, I did not realize that. I would not want an mp3 player bouncing around all the time. Presumably the cool kids don't need to work out at their age yet.

Stereodude

Not really a
LunarMist said:
Oh, I did not realize that. I would not want an mp3 player bouncing around all the time. Presumably the cool kids don't need to work out at their age yet.
Probably not.

Another "warming" attempt Now if only the never powered on OLEDs would disappear for an always on powermizerly LCD display things would be complete.

Stereodude

Not really a
I think I'm just going to give up and start using my iRiver iHP-140 with the new shiny Rockbox firmware. :D

Stereodude

Not really a
I think I found the player to address most of the complaints in my original post. The MobiBLU B153. It has 2GB capacity, 153 hour battery life, and no frilly video support, and it only costs $129.99 direct from MobiBLU America.

English Review at DAPreview.net

I found a really, really good review of the B153, but unfortunately, it's in Chinese. However, they did detailed USB speed tests, RightMark audio tests (S/N, THD, IMD, etc), took the unit apart, battery life tests, and more.

Chinese imp3.net review

For those of you who are like me and can't read Chinese...

Google Translation

Babelfish Translation

There are parts where each translation seems better than the other, so you might want to look at both.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Stereodude said:
I think I'm just going to give up and start using my iRiver iHP-140 with the new shiny Rockbox firmware. :D

C-Net review of Rockbox firmware.

It sounds like a good idea.

I'm still considering the Cowon iAudio 6 myself.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well...

I got my B153 yesterday. I really like it. It seems to have excellent sound quality and the features are just what I was looking for.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
A couple of weeks ago, I was given a black 60GB IPOD by a couple of young nephews. Haven't even opened it yet. It was given out of love, and I couldn't refuse it......

ddrueding

Fixture
I really like my iPod, I'm still trying to decide which software to use (since I obviously will not be installing iTunes on my machines). I think ephpod is my favorite so far.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
I really like my iPod, I'm still trying to decide which software to use (since I obviously will not be installing iTunes on my machines). I think ephpod is my favorite so far.
That ephpod goes to a Win 2003 link at Microsoft. Is that correct or was it a mistake?

Mercutio

Nice to see mubs again. Hiya mubs!

When one of my brothers gave me an ipod, I sold it about three days later.

Stereodude's MobiBlu would be a really interesting device if it came in a 4GB capacity. Were I a portable music sort of person, I think I'd want to be able to carry around enough music so that I wouldn't have to hear the same 20-odd albums over and over.

Hopefully some day they'll start making single AAA-powered 2GB thumb drives with just enough smarts to play an MP3. That would be a lot more interesting and useful than a dedicated music player.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I really don't get the whole hatred of iPods. I rather like my iPod Mini. I have had it for over a year and have dropped it countless times and it still functions perfectly. I listen to it for about 2-6 hours per day. I get over 12 hours out of a single charge too.

Mercutio

My disdain come from two things: 1. itunes, which is awful and 2. The fact that iPods are essentially closed systems. You're carrying around 4GB or 60GB or whatever and you can't use the goddamned things as disk drives.

More generally I also think headphones are medieval torture devices, but that's a complaint about portable music systems in general.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Hi Merc. I missed SR really badly all these days. You guys are my best pals.

Tim, I think 95% of the people that hate the IPod don't hate the device, but iTunes. I haven't done anything with mine out of this fear. Maybe some kind soul who really uses it can tell me the good, bad and ugly side of it.

ddrueding

Fixture
mubs said:
ddrueding said:
That ephpod goes to a Win 2003 link at Microsoft. Is that correct or was it a mistake?

Whoops, wrong tab...sorry. That's what I get for posting so late (only 1:30AM now).

Here's the link:

Mercutio

Just found out that I need to buy something to record my lectures. Which pretty much means a flash-based MP3 player; I'm not flipping tapes.

Has anyone here ever used the recorder function of their player and found it to work well or poorly?

ddrueding

Fixture
I used my iPod nano for the purpose once with a 3rd party firmware, just to try it out. Seemed to work well, though there's no practical experience and clearly no support.