Ryzen

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
If I could justify the cost the Mac-Pro is making more sense every year.

Stereodude

Not really a
I wonder whether some of these issues relate to "binning". I remember reading about the old "pencil trick" for AMD CPUs.
I'm sure binning is a factor. They're likely on the edge of the manufacturing process with the 3950X. They probably can get enough to satisfy the demand over time, but demand will exceed the supply for a while.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
The old truncation bug is at it again.
I'm just a bit frustrated at the lack of availability of parts.
I ran into the second failed installation of software this month, a simple firmware installer. 7 is dead. 🍁

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
Could it be a keyboard defect? I was planning to replace it on the New Year.

Last edited:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
I'd replace it anyway, so maybe one can get lucky with that. Of course by the time the Rhyzome is actually available, the source may be identified as something else. I don't know how it can be confirmed that I am using the post reply during the edit window. Maybe that is also better with Windows 10.

Handruin

Administrator
I was able secure a pre-order through Amazon for a 3950X tonight. Their ETA won't have it arrive until Jan 18th though. I watch every day and the supply is still very limited at MSRP.

Stereodude

Not really a
I was able secure a pre-order through Amazon for a 3950X tonight. Their ETA won't have it arrive until Jan 18th though. I watch every day and the supply is still very limited at MSRP.
I didn't realize Amazon was basically allowing people to backorder/pre-order them now. Your comment left me with the impression that the pre-orders at Amazon come and go. It seems like Amazon is continually allowing pre-orders since 12/26 (per nowinstock).

Handruin

Administrator
I was going to say that the night I got one, the pre-order went away maybe a minute later.

Handruin

Administrator
My local Microcenter still has two 3950x in stock since yesterday. Maybe demand is slowing now that the holidays are over and/or production has picked up a bit.

Handruin

Administrator
I just checked and they still have two. Another Amazon alert said they have more pre-order that will ship in 1-2 days. Mine arrived earlier this morning ahead of schedule.

Handruin

Administrator
Will be nice if they can hit their design goals of 17% gain in IPC in Zen 3. They'll keep pushing Intel and we all mostly win in the end. Hopefully they can keep this momentum.

Stereodude

Not really a
I just checked and they still have two. Another Amazon alert said they have more pre-order that will ship in 1-2 days. Mine arrived earlier this morning ahead of schedule.
How are you getting notified of the Amazon pre-orders going up? At this point I might sit tight until the 4xxx series. I spent a lot of money in the past month or two on stuff not PC related. I could still get a new system, I not broke but tapping the brakes might not be a bad thing... Also, big FP improvements (up to 50%) in Zen 3 would favor my workloads. It will be interesting to see what AMD demos at CES.

Handruin

Administrator
I just can't help my self and checked frequently. The NowInStock website was always left open in a tab with audible alerts and a popup that also helped. For Microcenter I just kept running my Python script to alert me.

I have no doubt that Zen3 4000 series will be evolutionary and better. I'm a bit past the 5 year mark on my current Intel-based 4790K and would like a new system that can also take advantage of a m.2 NVMe at PCIe 3 (or higher). It's always going to be better to wait but I'm ready now. I feel the same about waiting on buying a new GPU. Even though the nvidia 2080 super isn't a great economical value it's still a pretty decent GPU for gaming. If the timing was better and I could have some restraints to wait for AMD to release their new GPU it might help reduce the price on a 2080 super making it more of a sane purchase (or buying the new AMD GPU assuming the price/performance is reasonable.) I don't really want to wait to mid-year though for the next gen GPUs.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm still using a E5-2687W v2 that I first built with a v1 e5 CPU just short of 4 years ago when it was already dated tech but the CPUs and RAM were coming from off lease enterprise systems and were pretty cheap for the performance at the time compared to the desktop products. It has no NVMe support, it doesn't even have native USB 3.0 (add on chip). Aside from x265 compression, which I'm doing very little of lately, I rarely find it lacking. By the time I have a bit more spending money Zen 3 might be right around the corner.

I'll see what happens since I'm for sure not buying in the next few weeks. That will get me past CES where AMD may preview something promising like they did last year.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Not really a
It looks like the 3950X is now fairly widely available. The local Microcenter has a bunch in stock, Amazon, B&H, Newegg, etc. have them in stock at $750 or really close to that price point.