RIP Anabelle

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My last mouse has gone to the great PS/2 graveyard. :crap:

Now I'm faced with the propect of the USB mice. My PS/2 keyboard is rather old and dirty so I should replace that as well. So the question now is what to do for a KVM. I'm confused about which one to get. I only need to switch the keyboard and mouse, but I want one that operates via the double-control key. What do you suggest?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have an Aten 2 port with sound, USB and DVI here that works fine but all the ones I know about are a double scroll lock to switch. A tip on the mouse, if you can't get the extra buttons and stuff to work on the mouse in the mouse port try putting it in the USB switched ports, it's what I had to do on this one.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I just do KM (not V) and use Synergy. While Synergy works through Win7, development stopped pre-Vista. It appears that Synergy+ is being actively worked on, though. Maybe I'll give it a look.

So, what keyboard & mouse are you looking at as replacements?

LunarMist

The model I'm thinking of is maybe $25.

The cheap USB Belkin and IoGear KVMs seem to have awful reviews in multiple places. The older PS/2 KVMs seem to have been better, or maybe it is a property of USB.

LunarMist

I just do KM (not V) and use Synergy. While Synergy works through Win7, development stopped pre-Vista. It appears that Synergy+ is being actively worked on, though. Maybe I'll give it a look.

So, what keyboard & mouse are you looking at as replacements?

I don't know about the mouse. I have one old USB MS Intellimouse that may be functional. I'd also like to use the Wacom tablet, if that works.

I'm very unhappy with keyboard choices since most of them have goofy layouts, shapes or keys. I want a basic keyboard such as this one. Unfortunately most keyboards are black now.

Thanks for the software idea, but I need a hardware solution.

Last edited:

LunarMist

I like the idea of an illuminated keyboard, but that one is huge. :eek:
What happens when you press those Gx keys - a lady comes out behind a hidden panel with a drink? :bglaugh:

I shudder to see what monstrous mouse you have. :)

I considered the Kennington keyboard. Aren't the function buttons too small? I use the F5, F4 and ESC frequently.

ddrueding

Fixture

I actually have the previous version, it is bigger.

What happens when you press those Gx keys - a lady comes out behind a hidden panel with a drink? :bglaugh:

They are fully programmable, including macros and key combos.

I shudder to see what monstrous mouse you have. :)

It is actually small. Razer Copperhead.

I considered the Kennington keyboard. Aren't the function buttons too small? I use the F5, F4 and ESC frequently.

The function keys are the same size as the rest? They are a bit smaller on the G15.

LunarMist

From a basic measurement of the images it is apparent that the vertical dimension of the upper row of keys on that Kennington is about 70% of the other keys.

ddrueding

Fixture
From a basic measurement of the images it is apparent that the vertical dimension of the upper row of keys on that Kennington is about 70% of the other keys.

Upon closer inspection of their images you are right. It seems they changed design and not model number. Bad form.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I had the same thoughts about the size of the Logitech gaming keyboards, but I still wanted an illuminated one. After eliminating Saitek from my list because the keycaps were painted on the outside & could wear off, I went with this Logitech.

LunarMist

Interesting. I like the idea of no Insert key. :) Is there enough throw and feel to those flat keys? Does the board flex with heavy-fingered typing? I'm concerned that my not-so-good typing would be even worse.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That is the one I thought of for around $250 w/tax, shipping.

Someone here, maybe you, recommended it a while back and I balked at the price but it has been flawless.

I use a decent wired optical mouse, currently a Logitech G5 with speed switch on the fly regardless of os/driver which is really nice.

For the keyboard I have given up paying a lot, now I just get a cheap dell keyboard for $8 off ebay every year or less when they wear out. I like both the feel and layout of the cheapo dells.

LunarMist

Someone here, maybe you, recommended it a while back and I balked at the price but it has been flawless.

No, it was not me. Perhaps I was considering it when I had the disastrous 30" NEC for a short time.

How is the switching with the hotkey? Does the KVM continue to emasculate the other computer that is not in use or does it need to redetect the USB each time? I switch back and forth quite frequently for example, checking SF. :) Are there any problems using it for the BIOS? Thanks.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
For me it just switches quick and everything including USB switches with two presses of scroll lock. I switch about a hundred times a day between my work computer and personal one.

BIOS/DOS boot disks etc doesn't have much to do with the KVM for that you are depending on the motherboard to emulate PS/2 for USB keyboard and mouse which I had problems with under AMD two or three years ago when I did AMD stuff last.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Interesting. I like the idea of no Insert key. :) Is there enough throw and feel to those flat keys? Does the board flex with heavy-fingered typing? I'm concerned that my not-so-good typing would be even worse.
I was really hesitant to give up the Insert key to be honest, but in the end I can't say I've missed it. The times I actually hit Insert are so few that doing Num Luck - Keypad 0 - Num Lock isn't too much to ask. Well under once a month.

If you pick up the keyboard you can certainly flex it some but not that much. Typing there's no flexing/deflection of the keyboard itself. Key travel is a few millimeters. Think of it as an extra sturdy laptop keyboard in terms of key travel. Definitely sturdier than my Latitude notebook, though, as hitting any key especially hard does not flex/deform the surrounding keys.

I bought mine at Best Buy and took it out of the box to inspect before making my purchase. The brightness settings are High - Medium - Low - Off; High is what I use all the time. Under normal light High looks just like white letters on the keycaps and under suboptimal light it's sufficient to see what I'm doing.

After doing IT as a profession for over 20 years and working on/with PCs for over 30 years, I'm still not a true touch typist. I use the Advanced Columbus Method - I can "find it and land on it" with multiple fingers but I do not follow Home Row conventions and cannot type well without watching what I type. I do type fast and make relatively few mistakes but a typing teacher would have fits if they watched me.

LunarMist

After looking closely I see that there is an Insert above the DEL, yet no Scroll Lock. :(

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi's post could have been mine - we even have the same keyboard - except for the fact that it does have an Insert key! It's the half-height immediately above the Del key. You can see it in the NewEgg photo.

I'm looking forward to Fushigi's explanation ... :)

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Heh. Shows you how much I use the top row other than the light button. Yeah, mine has it but I don't think I've ever used it.

Handruin

Administrator
I had the same thoughts about the size of the Logitech gaming keyboards, but I still wanted an illuminated one. After eliminating Saitek from my list because the keycaps were painted on the outside & could wear off, I went with this Logitech.

My original Saitek had the WASD keys wear out but that was due to a lot of frequent use for gaming. The other keys are still fine after 4 years of use. They shouldn't have worn out in the first place, so I understand your feelings about the issue. I did buy another Saitek Eclipse only a few months ago and I'm still happy with the feel of the keyboard. I'm also using a newer Logitech G500 mouse which I like better than my former G5.

LunarMist

This is all TMI. My head is exploding. Why is life so complicated? I found the old MS mouse and it is not so good. For some reason the USB version is cruder in scrolling and the click force is higher than on the PS/2. I'll order a couple of the keyboards and a plain mouse, then see how that works before buying a KVM.

Handruin

Administrator
What about going to bestbuy or some place like that and test drive a few? If you don't like them, return them. That's what I did when i decided to try the Razor DeathAdder. I found the mouse to be rather awful. It actually needed the software to function like a normal mouse. I just couldn't get it tuned to work nicely for me so it went back.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Doug, the bad thing about the keycaps wearing off is that's it's easily avoidable by painting the inside instead of the outside. They cheaped out either on the engineering or the manufacturing. :nono: Otherwise I would probably be typing this message from a Saitek right now.

LM, I agree that test-typing the keyboards in advance is a good thing. Sometimes you might even find the price difference to be negligible at retail and just buy it then as well. Check BB, Fry's, or whatever other local big box stores are in your area. You can also check for flexing as you mentioned above.

Likewise on the mouse. I've been a dedicated Logitech mouse user since 1984 so my preference/bias is clear. Right now I'm using the MX Revolution on my desktop & the VX Revolution with the laptop. I like the MX better from a feature standpoint but the VX is smaller & gets better battery life.

And I doubt I'll ever buy another wired mouse; the cords just seem to get in the way and snag on things whenever I use one.

LunarMist

I'd like to order a mouse, but it is "For OEM Purchase Only - distribution with system hardware required." Why, for only a mouse?