RIP Anabelle

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The OEM mice have fewer screws? How many screws are used in the retail mouse? Does it feel any different?

ddrueding

Fixture
He means that they get around the "with hardware" requirement by selling it with some hardware, sometimes a single screw.

The "OEM" is some silly rule to justify the pricing. Don't worry about it at all. The mouse is identical.

LunarMist

Can I order it as a normal person, or will I be rejected?

LunarMist

For me it just switches quick and everything including USB switches with two presses of scroll lock. I switch about a hundred times a day between my work computer and personal one.

BIOS/DOS boot disks etc doesn't have much to do with the KVM for that you are depending on the motherboard to emulate PS/2 for USB keyboard and mouse which I had problems with under AMD two or three years ago when I did AMD stuff last.

Thanks. Is the photo accurate in that cables are not included?

LunarMist

I received the switch and it seems to be a sturdy one. I noticed that the USB interface is only 1.1 on the 2-port model that I have, whereas the similar 4-port model has USB 2.0. Does it make a difference or are the HIDs natively 1.1 in any case?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Are you talking about the aten CS1762 one? I didn't even realize the USB 1.1, but anyway makes no difference to a mouse and keyboard.

LunarMist

I still don't understand why it does not return to normal afterwards. The Aten is a nicely made switch for sure. It's better than the Chinese stuff one often sees.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I read back a bit and I can't find where you said what was going wrong?

Anyway my USB mouse works better if you plug it into the USB hub portion rather than the intended mouse port. That way you get the special buttons etc to work as you are switching a USB device instead of a super generic HID mouse. Can load you enhanced mouse drivers and stuff that way too.

LunarMist

It does not automatically switch back to the powered PC. There is also an oddity that the yellow LED on the disconnected unit glows dimly. I think it should be off.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Oh right that is a little annoying. Especially on old XP machines and the way they don't refresh the DVI display discovery info after boot, ever. Win7 rediscovers the display after login so if you are ever on the wrong display at boot time and boot up in super basic default resolution just continue to log in and it will fix itself after a second, effectively makes it a non issue.

See there are legitimate reasons to move on from XP, actually the first time I updated my video driver in 7 and realized it didn't need a reboot about floored me. Took me right back to the first days where you could change your IP without a reboot in windows.

LunarMist

I'm not having difficulty with the video changing and I don't think the OS is involved. When both PCs are off the switch remains wherever it was last (1 or 2). Let's say it is #1 for example. The issue is that when computer #2 is booted the switch stays at#1 and must be changed manually to #2. One would expects the switch to automatically choose the computer that is powered on. It is just an annoyance.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah I haven't had a switch that did that yet but I can see it would be nice.

ddrueding

Fixture
Got a R.A.T. 7 today and after about 5 minutes of customization, it beats the pants off my Razer Copperhead. So much more comfortable, so much more accurate. It looks like it exploded, but it feels awesome.