Recommendations on good books to read

paugie

Storage is cool
Just sharing.

Have finished reading "Lucifer's Hammer" 3 days ago. It's about a comet strike and near end of civilization. Enjoyed it.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Larry Niven is always good. I reread his Oath of Fealty yesterday, Paugie. Oh, and I reread Lucifer's Hammer a couple of months ago too. Good, but not as good as O of F, IMO. I could wite a lot more about this superb author, but I'm going to bed instead. Life is like that ....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The problem with Lucifer's Hammer is the co-author. I have no idea why Jerry Pournelle is famous for anything except collaborating with Larry Niven.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
timwhit said:
So no else is interested in my proposal?

Not sure that I need to read up on this stuff, Tim. I can guess most of the important bits - not 100%, no doubt, but close enough for prractical purposes. And I can't do anything about it either way, so why stress myself out about something I can't hope to change in even a tiny way?

I have important stuff closer to home to deal with where I can make a difference. Better to concentrate on that.

Besides, if I read it I'd only gets teamed up and frustrated and angry, and Tea would get grumpy.

paugie

Storage is cool
ok, I know it's supposed to be an old book but...

I saw "Accidental Tourist" in the office library the other week and I picked it up. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It's now with my daughter. This morning she says to me at breakfast, "I can understand why you can relate to the guy (Macon) - it's you". Come to think of it, yeah maybe she's got a point.

There's a movie out, but it's so old I can't find it in the usual channels. Many of the IMDB user comments are positive.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
paugie said:
ok, I know it's supposed to be an old book but...

I saw "Accidental Tourist" in the office library the other week and I picked it up. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It's now with my daughter. This morning she says to me at breakfast, "I can understand why you can relate to the guy (Macon) - it's you". Come to think of it, yeah maybe she's got a point.

There's a movie out, but it's so old I can't find it in the usual channels. Many of the IMDB user comments are positive.

I own it. It is good. I have not read the book. Gena Davis won best supporting actress. Kathleen Turner, William Hurt, .... What's not to like?

Mercutio

There is only one book in my stack of reading material ahead of American Theocracy. I knew I'd get to it eventually. :)

Mercutio

American Theocracy:
All I can say is, just about every page of that book made me more pissed off than the page before it. I didn't feel like eating for two days after I finished it.

Mercutio

Two Posts about Zombies in one day!

A few years ago, Max Brooks (son of Mel Brooks) released a book called The Zombie Survival Guide, a detailed and surprisingly serious manual that detailed what to do in the event of a zombie apocalypse. It's a novelty book, sure, but it's true to its literary form and manages just the right tone to be an entertaining read.

Yesterday, Brooks' second book was released. World War Z is an oral history much like the ones I'm used to hearing on Public Radio (Studs Terkel, by the way, is probably the most interesting guy on Earth). Only, this one is about a Zombie Epidemic that almost destroy human civilization. After reading books like "The Great Influenza", the story and the format make a lot of sense. It's a fun read on a whole lot of different levels.