Recommendations on good books to read

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I thought I would create a thread where we could recommend books to each other.

I don't do that much reading of things that I enjoy, but I would like to do more. I read a lot of stuff for school but it's pretty boring most of the time (unless you find iconoclasm particularly intriguing).

I am reading Trainspotting right now and it's a pretty entertaining book, definitely worth reading. It seems the best way that I have found good books is to watch a lot of movies, when you find a good movie about half the time there is a book that it is based on...

I am interested in reading a comprehensive book on Napoleon. There are a ton of books on Napoleon, so if someone knows of a particularly good one I'd like to hear it. (I don't want to read a textbook though)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You should be in Ballarat, Tim. I have perhaps a couple of dozen books about Napoleon. I'm afraid that it's been a fair while since I read one - I tend to pick up on a subject and read several books about it one after the other, or sometimes all at once, then leave it for a few years and pass on to something different - and all of them bar one have faded in my memory such that I can't recall which was which. The one that I do recall clearly is - damn it! - one I can't seem to find right now: The campaigns of Napoleon by David Chandler. I doubt that this would be of interest to the general reader. It's a very long, rather dry and superbly detailed examination of Napoleon's strategy and tactics by an eminent military historian. A genre book, in other words, and if campaign history is not your thing, it will both bore and intimidate. But if you like military history, this is as good as it ever gets.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
At present I am reading on the Gulf War. Nothing too detailed this time, just the story as told by several of the prominent participants. I started with Fred Franks' Into the Storm, as ghostwritten by Tom Clancy. This rambles and wanders, spends far too much time repeating the obvious, and might be seen by some as self-serving in as much as it offers a powerful defence of Franks' conduct as commander of the US VII Corps (the main heavy corps that took on on the Republican Guard). It reads as if it were written especially to reply to the criticisms expressed in Norman Schwartzkopf's It doesn't take a Hero. Half-way through, I put it down and re-read Schwartzkopf's book, so as to put myself back into the broader picture, then returned to Into the Storm.

They are very different books: Schwartzkopf gives a much better overall picture of the war, the reasons for it, and the delicate negotiations that were an essential and critical part of the lead-up to it. Schwarzkopf is compelling reading when he is writing about his own strengths - planning, organising, and above all, understanding his allies and finding ways to work effectively with them. (This was his real genius, in my view.) From around the time that the final plan came into being though (i.e., double the US forces in Saudi by adding the Europe-based VII Corps, soften up by air, and then launch a powerful mechanised left hook through the desert at the main body of Sadam's army), It doesn't take a hero looses focus. It seems increasingly distant from the real action - just as Schwarzkopf himself, weighed down with massive responsibility and a killing workload, became isolated and detached in his command bunker.

Into the Storm, in the other hand, reads as little more than a wordy, wooly recapitulation of US military doctrine and training - you can almost see the Powerpoint slides that would accompany it, if it were delivered as an orientation lecture to officer candidates - but gradually gathers pace. As Franks gets closer and closer to the climax of the campaign, to the actual fighting of his divisions, he becomes more involved, more alive, more readable. A substantially longer book than It doesn't take a hero, Into the Storm manages to include a good deal of interesting detail (though far less than its length promises), a clear picture of the well-trained military mind at work, and, in the end, a very convincing defence of the way that VIIth Corps planned and fought its campaign. If Franks' purpose was to quash Schwarzkopf's complaint that VIIth Corps didn't move fast enough, then he has succeeded.

In the final analysis, both books show evidence of great skill, and dedication to quite different purposes. Franks followed his orders to the letter. Reatively speaking, his was a simple, purely military, role, and he persuasively argues both that the failure of the Allies to totally destroy the Republican Guard was not because of any fault in VIIth Corps, and that the Corps made a substantial contribution to the overwhelming success of the campaign as a whole.

Schwartzkopf's book is easier, more lively reading. Reading between the lines, one is left with a lasting impresion of the enormous skill and tact that it took to weld the coalition together, and of the even greater skill that it took to turn this mish-mash of national forces into an effective, cohesive fighting whole. If Franks makes it plain that Schwarzkopf wound up out of touch with his forces in the field in those last few frantic days, and did not succeed in turning the political pressures he was under into clear, practical orders to his military forces, nor even in making those political pressures plain to his in-the-field subordinates, Schwarzkopf's was nevertheless the more difficult task: one that he performed with conspicuous success on the whole, and one that he writes about more succinctly and clearly.

I recommend both books, but if you are only going to read one, read Schwarzkopf. Surprisingly, given Tom Clancy's name on the cover, Into the Storm manages to use up 550 pages without ever dealing in any detail with the Iraqi forces opposing Franks (we are often left wondering just who the oppositon were, what they were armed with, and how their starting line-up compared to VIIth Corps). More surprising yet is Franks' complete focus on just four of the five major formations he commanded: we get quite a lot of detail about the 1st and 3rd Armored, the 1st Infanry Division, and the 2nd Amoured Cavalry Regiment, his visits to them, their equipment, their training, their battles, and the key conversations he, as Corps Commander, had with their senior officers. But although he often mentions the 1st UK Amoured in passing, they seem to play no real part in his narrative. Is this because he is only interested in US troops? Because the 1ST UK were independantly tasked and only nominally under his command? Or for some other reason? We are left to guess at the answer, just as we are left to guess at much else that is left out of Franks' book. Even so, it is well worth reading.

No matter: a few years ago, when I bought It doesn't take a Hero, I also bought Peter de la Billiere's Storm Command, which I have managed to forget almost completely. I doubt that the British Commander in Chief will fail to describe the role of the 1st UK Division! Usually, I rememember what I read quite well, but one reading is not enough: I have to read things twice, or sometimes three times before they sink in. I'll make a start on re-reading Storm Command tonight.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the suggestion Tannin. The nice thing is that the University of Wisconsin libraries have one of the largest collections in the country. I just checked and they have that book and 15 others by Chandler. The only problem is that I might not be upto reading 1200 pages on the subject as a primer. Got any other suggestions for a slightly shorter work?

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i used to be a prolific reader until about 10 years ago when i suddenly stopped (for reasons i don't know why). over the last few months i've been thinking about getting back into it and so a few days ago i went through my old and dusty collection and picked up 'The Complete Robot' by Asimov. i figured this would be a good book to start with since it's actually a series of short stories. i'm glad i did because i'm really enjoy it. my recommendation to you Tim, something, probably anything Asimov. the Foundation series is a good read.

i'm interested to see what Mark has to recommend being that he has 20,000 books!

cheers,

Tim

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Short and sweet, and classic if you've never read them - "The Old Man and the Sea" by Hemingway, and "The red badge of Courage" by Stephen Crane. Both fairly short and much deeper than they appear on the surface.

Assuming you've read those already, try the "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaar. His son has also written both a "prequel" and a sequel. All three books are historical "novels" centering around the Civil War.

slo crostic

Learning Storage Performance
I'd definitely have to say the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm reading it again for the third time now, and it's a wonderful story that can really take you away to another place when the mood so desires.
As far as non-fiction goes the best book I've read would have to be I'm OK-you're OK by Thomas A. Harris, MD. It really sets things straight on why people behave the way they do, and you can learn a thing or two about yourself too. :)
Oh, and I like just about anything by Clive Barker. Especially Imajica.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I once read Lord of the Rings aloud to my girlfriend. Most nights we would go to bed and, instead of reading our seperate books, I'd read a few chapters of Tolkien to her. First The Hobbit, and then Lord of the Rings. I have no idea why we did all that reading aloud. After LOTR, in a quick switch from the sublime to the ridiculous, we did L. Ron Hubbard's delightfully silly space opera, Battlefield Earth, which is possibly even longer. One suspects that L. Ron knew all about that document listed in Slo's World Dominiation thread, and chose to ignore it. But I've read LOTR in the orthodox way (not out loud) many, many times, and never failed to enjoy it.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Since people are asking what books I would recommend. I'll tell you what I'm reading right now (I read in parallel):

Black Hawk Down - Bowden
Cisco Internetwork troubleshooting - Chappell
The Romans in Spain - Richardson
The Planet Pirates - McCaffery
Corsair - Dudly Pope
The Chess of Gligoric - Levy

There are also lots of books lying around that I've started, but got distracted from finishing.

As to recomendations - for me that's hard because there are too many; To many books and too many different people. The real problem is that I'm not a good critic: I like everything. There are always a few special books and authors that strike me, but you can get lists like that everywhere and I'm nothing special.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Fantastic book. His other books are great, too, but Snow Crash is a really exceptional novel.

It's the right time of year for HP Lovecraft, too.

About 95% of what I read - and I read a lot - is either SF or computer-related. I can give recommendations on computer books, but somehow I don't think that's what you want. :)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Anything by Matthew Reilly for pure action.

The new Tom Clancy is OK, not as good as his previous ones tho IMHO.

Tony, have you seen the LOTR movie? It is very good.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Not yet, Pradeep. My instincts tell me that it will be dreadful, but everyone who has seen it says otherwise, including real LOTR experts, it seems. That many good judges can't be wrong. But I'm going to do the same with Lord of the Rings as I did with Star Wars: wait till the third one comes out (that was Return of the Jedi) and then see all three one after the other on the same day.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Three books that were enjoyable when I read them for High School. Two of them have been made into movies. It is not mindless reading though.

James

Storage is cool
I'm reading the second edition of Total War by Peter Calvocoressi, Guy Wint, and John Pritchard, Invasion by Eric Harry, A Second Chance at Eden by Peter F. Hamilton, A Song of Stone and The State of The Art by Iain Banks, and I've just finished Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams.

Total War is of course one of the definitive works on the subject, much helped in its second edition by the inclusion of material released about Enigma in the late 80s. I'd recommend it.

Invasion is exactly what you'd suspect given the author.

A Second Chance at Eden is a set of short stories which serves as a good addition to the main trilogy by the author - The Reality Disfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, and The Naked God, all of which I'd recommend, although the ending is disappointing the questions raised in the trilogy are very thought provoking.

I'm not enjoying A Song of Stone as nearly much as I have enjoyed Iain M. Banks's sci fi stuff. I feel the plot is reminicent of one of the arcs in Use of Weapons, too. I would heartily recommend anything by Iain M. Banks (as opposed to Iain Banks, which is the name he uses for his non-sci fi books). The State of The Art is okay, it's a book of short stories, although it gets extremely weird in places.

Mostly Harmless was also alright, but just proves that the first three HHGTTG books were by far and away the best.

James

Storage is cool
Pradeep said:
The new Tom Clancy is OK, not as good as his previous ones tho IMHO.
As far as I'm concerned every single one since (and including) Without Remorse has been dreadful in comparison to the ones that went before.

JKKJ

Another vote for Stephenson's Snow Crash here, just a wonderful journey.

If you like hard science-fiction, try Stephen Baxter's Manifold novels. I've finished Manifold:Time and Manifold:Space so far, Manifold:Origin to go. These stories are big in scale, huge distances and times are routine, and of the concepts stand your current perspectives on end. 5000 years of future-history is great when you need to take a break from the news-of-the-minute.

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Here is my two cents worth:

Another vote for Black Hawk Down, LOTR, and anything by Clancy (my personal favorites Without Remorse and Rainbow Six)

For the adventurers out there:

View From The Summit by Sir Edmund Hillary (his autobiography)

For the kid in you:

[/i]The Adventures of Huck Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by none other than Mark Twain. These are enjoyable books when you are a youngster, but I have found more humor and benefit since I've re-read them as an adult.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Clancy: yes, a wonderful writer, particularly when he sticks to what he knows well (security matters) and avoids the things where he is, at best, semi-bright (economics and government). Though even where he's bad, he's pretty good. And, come to think of it, vastly better at public policy matters than most of his thriller-writing brethren.

The great Clancy novels:
The Hunt for Red October
Red Storm Rising
The Sum of All Fears
Debt of Honour
Executive Orders

Any one of those would be sufficient to put Clancy into the top rank, the five of them make him fit to be compared with only the very best of the very best: Le Carre, Deighton, and ... well, Le Carre and Deighton, I guess, though Clancy has more sweep than Deighton, and a finer grasp of technical detail than Le Carre, if not the razor-sharp observation of human nature that makes Le Carre the greatest of them all.

Which of these five great Clancy thrillers is my favourite? A very tough chioce. Debt of Honour and Executive Orders follow the progress of Jack Ryan into high office, first as National Security Advisor, then as President. In the first Ryan deals with a most unlikely war (the US against Japan!) and Clancy's grasp of detail makes it almost credible: only when it comes to his dramatically convenient but entirely unconvincing handling of naval air power must we, as readers, will a suspension of disbelief - this is the great thing about Clancy: most of his unlikely scenarios are so well dovetailed into his narrative, and so carefully researched and true to life in detail, that we need not try to "believe" in them for the sake of an exciting read, we are swept up and carried away on the flood of his narrative. But in Debt of Honour, while he carefully removes the US Pacific Fleet carriers in a sufficiently convincing way - very far-fetched but acceptable for the sake of his story - the absurd way in which all the remaining US carriers are simply ignored because they are in the wrong ocean just doesn't wash. That, after all, is the whole point of having those incredibly expensive nuclear-powered military airbases: a Nimitz-class carrier is, above all else, mobile. It can, if it needs to, travel almost a thousand miles a day.

(Work it out: assume a cruising speed of 30 knots (their actual top speed is classified, but it's certainly more than 30 knots, and the whole point of nuclear power is that you never run out of fuel - you can crack on flank speed and keep it up for as many hours as you like - weeks if need be). 30 knots is about 35 miles per hour: at 24 hours in the day, that's 970 miles (if my mental arithmetic is to be trusted). A nuclear-powered carrier, in other words, can get from anywhere, to anywhere in two or at most three weeks. The plot of Debt of Honour, in short, is complete nonsense. But no matter: it's a great read.)

In the follow-on, Executive Orders, Ryan becomes President, and is immediately faced with a nighmare situation involving the obligatory Arab plotters and carefully grown cultures of Ebola Virus. Chilling stuff. In the meantime, Ryan proceeds to totally overturn the traditional role of government, eliminate corruption, lower taxes, increase national productivity, abolish crime, and pretty much every other political fantasy that Clancy has ever had. Oh, and save the world again. Oddly enough, it is more convincing than Debt of Honour, and it's easy to sit back and accept the broad rush of Clancy's right-wing fantasy revolution from the top. Partly this is because Clancy is so obviously enjoying himself, partly it's because he sugars the pill with his usual dose of detailed, high-tech tension, and partly it's because we have long since grown used to adding a suitable grain of salt to the politicial opinions of our paper heros - hell, as a kid I grew up on Biggles, and there is enough jingoistic White Man's Burden stuff in a page or two of W.E. Johns to launch a battleship - but mostly it is just because Clancy writes so well, and manages - just - to stay within the bounds of things he knows. His characters are better rounded than in earlier works, and if Ryan himself is a little hackneyed, and Ryan's sidekicks (his wife, the Secretary of State) little more than caricutures, his minor characters can be compelling: Clancy's portrayal of the Secret Service guards is especially fine. All in all, another great Tom Clancy, and the last of them, if I am any guess. Most authors run out of things to say eventually, and while in Executive Orders Clancy is still able to motor along in high gear, you can see that his creative tank is almost empty.

The Hunt for Red October was his first book, or so I understand. If so, it is simply astonishing. How on earth did Clancy manage to produce his best-crafted, most beautifully detailed work first, when he should have been just learning his trade, just getting up to speed? The detail is superbly drawn, absolutely riveting. Hell, this book was so good that even turning it into a movie couldn't ruin it! It's not my personal favourite, but, all things considered, it probably ought to be. I imagine that most good judges rate it the best Tom Clancy of them all.

Red Storm Rising was my introduction to Tom Clancy. As you know, I read a lot of history. I like to think that I'm a good judge of truth and myth. I am practiced at sifting the truth from the conflicting stories that people tell, at spotting the false assumption, the glib generalisation. And it was reading Red Storm Rising that made me a Tom Clancy fan overnight - literally overnight: I started it late one afternoon, had perhaps one hour's sleep, read more in the morning, went to work for the minimum possible time, rushed home and finished it just before complete exhaustion claimed me and I slept the clock around. Clancy is like that. He does it to everyone. But the thing that gripped me about Red Storm Rising was his magnificent grasp of history: the astonishingly deft way he wove heroism and incompetence together, his unique sense of balance between the inoxerable march of historical necessity on the one hand, and the bizarre and coincidental on the other. Only a rank amateur or a great master would dare have his grand sweep of history altered by small, near-chance events from time to time, and whatever else you might think of Clancy, when it comes to writing history, is is certainly no amateur. I still marvel at the way he got his balance exactly right.

In this monumental work of tightly disciplined imagination, I could easily find my favourite Clancy. Almost, I do. But, for me, there is one that is still better: The Sum of all Fears. Start with a lost Israeli nuclear weapon. Add a fanatical Arab terrorist, a dissafected East German physicist, their backers and supporters, and have them wind up setting it off at the Super Bowl. Now set all that against a background of the Cold War and the threat of Mutually Assured Destruction and the nuclear winter. For all Clancy's regular, almost miraculous, ability to chill with fear and spellbind with superbly researched detail, The Sum of all Fears is in a class of its own: the very, very best of a writer who, even at his worst, is head and shoulders above his competition.

Mercutio

I must not be "everyone". I really dislike Tom Clancy. Even his "best" (Clear and Present Danger and Hunt for Red October) weren't interesting enough for me to finish.

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Nothing wrong with that, Mercutio. Everyone has their own tastes. I find Clancy interesting because I like political thrillers and the technical detail that he goes into. I know plenty of friends who just can't get into it, and get bored with all of the detail.

OTOH, I dislike Charles Dickens literature. Yes, I know that they are classic works, and there are people out there that rave about his writing. I have read several of his works, and I just find them plain dull. But many people enjoy his style. There are as many writing styles and selections for reading as there are people.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Dozer said:
Nothing wrong with that, Mercutio. Everyone has their own tastes. I find Clancy interesting because I like political thrillers and the technical detail that he goes into. I know plenty of friends who just can't get into it, and get bored with all of the detail.

OTOH, I dislike Charles Dickens literature. Yes, I know that they are classic works, and there are people out there that rave about his writing. I have read several of his works, and I just find them plain dull. But many people enjoy his style. There are as many writing styles and selections for reading as there are people.

If you don't like Dickens then you won't like my favorite classic author - Hugo.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I like Dickens, but I often find myself wishing for an editor. The main body of his novels is one thing, but those bizarre outbursts of Victorian sensibility (some of Nancy's scenes in Oliver Twist, for example) are quite horrible.

I've never read Hugo. I'm sure that I should, though I barely ever touch fiction these days.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The carriers can indeed cruise around for a couple of years flat out, the problems is that most of the escort ships that comprise a carrier battle group are still gas powered, and therefore need to be supplied on route.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I agree Tony, Sum of All Fears is one of his best. The movie is quite good too, tho it can't compare to the imagination in this case. To think that if the guy who was building the bomb wasn't killed early, World War III would have begun. And the tank battle in the streets of Germany. Fantastic!

Mercutio

My minor degree is in English Lit, and I've never met a Dickens fan. Hugo, yes, and Goethe, even Thomas Hardy, but not Dickens.

Bleak House is the only work by Dickens I've read. I have dim recollections of a cast of dozens and an attention to detail that today would be described as obsessive. The man was paid by the word and boy oh boy does it show.

An author I particularly enjoy is David Sedaris, particularly in the tiny volume "Holidays on Ice", although all his books are exceedingly funny.

Also Neal Gaiman, who just won a Hugo award for "American Gods".

I buy a lot of collections of comic strips (appreciation of the form). Lately I've found Darby Conley's "Get Fuzzy" books, Matt (the Simpsons guy) Groening's "Life in Hell", and Patrick McDonnell's Mutts.

If I might go so far as to suggest a few other non-traditional titles, "the Watchmen" by Alan Moore is frequently mentioned as the greatest graphic novel ever produced, while Kurt Busiek's "Astro City" comics (available in bound form at large bookstores) manage to somehow capture all the joy and wonder of super-hero funny books, and do so from page one, while still being amazingly literate. Kurt Busiek also worked on a set of comics collected as "Marvels", re-tellings of familiar super-hero stories through the eyes of ordinary bystanders.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
When I read Dickens, I liked him alot. I found I could imerse myself in the characters and settings. Unfortunately, I don't remember much of the details anymore. I went through a phase where I would read the complete works of one author all at one time. Dickin's, Sir Aurther Conan Doyle, and Edgar Alan Poe were all recipients of this treatment. I don't do that anymore because I found that all the stores tended to jumble together to the point that I couldn't even recite the basic plots without confusing them. I really should re-read them so that I cognitive knowledge of them again.

I have to admit that the only comic-book series that I have really liked was the Astericks series.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I picked up a copy of Sum of All Fears today. I have to finish Trainspotting and Crime and Punishment before I can start this though. I'll let all the Clancy fans know if it is any good after I read it.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Pradeep said:
The carriers can indeed cruise around for a couple of years flat out, the problems is that most of the escort ships that comprise a carrier battle group are still gas powered, and therefore need to be supplied on route.

Quite so, Pradeep. However, in Clancy's setting, it is the Pacific Fleet carriers and only the carriers which are disabled: their escorting destroyers and frigates are untouched. So, once the Atlantic and/or Mediteranian fleet carriers reach Pearl, it's business as usual. The Pacific Fleet has carriers again and can proceed to beat up the enemy, same as usual. The only tricky bit is providing sufficient escorts for them to get there. This is a managable task. Indeed, the logistics of organising some sort of escort from, say, the UK to Pearl at zero notice would make a great story. One worthy of an author of the calibre of ... er ... Tom Clancy. :)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Crime and Punishment is wonderful. Not in the slightest bleak - the Russians have a genius for producing works that, from outside the cover, threaten you with terminal depression and terrible ordeals, and yet wind up being just plain fun to read: moving, entertaining, gripping, and even very funny in places. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is like that too. So, for that matter, is a good deal of Shostakovich.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Tannin said:
Crime and Punishment is wonderful. Not in the slightest bleak - the Russians have a genius for producing works that, from outside the cover, threaten you with terminal depression and terrible ordeals, and yet wind up being just plain fun to read: moving, entertaining, gripping, and even very funny in places. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is like that too. So, for that matter, is a good deal of Shostakovich.

I am reading it for a Russian literature class I'm taking but it is quite good so far. I'm also going to be reading Anna Karenina in the next couple of weeks, supposed to be a good read too.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Hey Tony weren't you going to write a novel? I distinctly remember you saying it at least a few times.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Yes Tim. I'm afraid it (a) won't be suitable for publication in a family context, and (b) isn't going anywhere fast at present. I haven't worked on it for a year or so, though I'll go back to it eventually, no doubt.

On the other hand, I just wrote a novel-length thought-post in the Iraq thread , will that do in the meantime?

slo crostic

Just finished reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and it is the best book I have ever read. The whole concept of babies gestating in bottles and then being conditioned to suit a particular role in life is mind-boggling. Most of the ideas portrayed in this novel could never be reality but there are quite a few references that make you wonder. It's good to keep in mind whilst reading this book that it was written in 1932, more than 70 years ago, and so many of the issues it raises are still relevant today.

9.9/10

fool

Tough question Tim. It’s always difficult to second guess someone else’s taste.
So I guess I’ll just list a few favourites and hope you find something of interest therein.

Primo Levi. The Periodic Table
The Wrench
The Drowned and The Saved.
If This Is A Man.
This guy had the most beautiful style. Very simple, very clear and almost heartbreakingly humane.

Samuel Beckett. Murphy
Me, I love Beckett, but he’s one of those authors you either love or hate. In light of which I’ll only recommend Murphy as A; its relatively short and B; its at least an order of magnitude easier to read than any of the other novels. So if you don’t like it you wont have wasted too much time.

Flann O’Brien The Third Policeman.
The Poor Mouth.
His like shall never be seen again. If I wished to start an argument I’d say that when the magic realists stole O’Brien’s style, their biggest mistake was that they left out the sense of humour.

Neil Gaiman &Terry Pratchett. Good Omens.
You will laugh out loud, so hard you get stomach cramps, at least once every forty or so pages. I’d also recommend Pratchett’s discworld stuff. Just about the funniest writing around right now, sort of like LOTR with jokes.

Speaking of LOTR, I never really got into them. For epic, mythical, heroism and such I’ve got more pleasure from The Nibelungenlied and Wolfram Von Eschenbachs Parzival. Both translated by A.T. Hatto.

John Brunner. Stand On Zanzibar
If you can find a copy buy it. A truly fantastic bit of SF.

Tolstoy War and Peace.
Once you get into it, (took me about thirty pages), just about as rich an experience as I’ve ever had through reading.