Recommendation for New Desktop PC

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Howdy-
My old manager is looking to get a new PC (desktop machine) and asked for some advice. I'm looking for a Desktop system (w/o monitor) for around $750-$850. 8GB RAM with about ~500GB SSD. What is the best manufacturer these days of a pre-made system that comes with Windows 10 & maybe MS Office too?

The system will not be used for any gaming (discreet GPU not necessarily needed) but it would be nice to have a decently capable CPU for system longevity/usefulness.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You might look to see what you can do in an Intel NUC, given his modest needs. I'd probably direct him to Office 365 if he wants 2016, or else pick around some of the usual suspects to find an Office 2010 license if he doesn't care about getting the latest version. In this case the NUC might actually come out cheaper, given what CUK wants for a ThinkCentre M93.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
His needs are modest but he feels he needs a powerful machine / CPU. That's why I'm looking to a fast-ish processor and a nice SSD. If he got a NUC I think he'd feel it's under powered no matter what I told him was good enough. I like the CUK idea but their Lenovo's don't have SSDs as far as I could see, at least none of those that would be in his price range.

ddrueding

Fixture
All the manufacturers seem to still think that SSDs are a premium item and price accordingly. You'd probably be better off buying one without, a separate SSD, and a drive cloning tool. But that is effort and complicates warranty work.