News: XP SP2 is out

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yup.

All you XP-using freaks can now have 460MB worth of updates to install.
You can grab the file off a bittorrent site if you're brave, or MSDN subscriber downloads if you're lucky. It's not on Windowsupdate yet.

If anyone's willing to host a 460MB file, I do in fact already have it.

Handruin

Administrator
I could probably host it on SF for a short amount of time for the locals. I'd rather not publicize it because the file is so large. I can give you FTP access if you want to spend the time uploading.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Personally, I'd like to read some reports about this new service pack first before installing it myself. I've read the usual PR hype, but I'm more interested in actual experience with this piece of software.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I can host it for about 20 people (this month) once I get it.

C

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
One thing I read today is that IBM is advising against installation on their 400,000 desktops. Supposedly they will have a custom version done to work around some already known problems. The problems, BTW, are WRT some IBM internal apps and not general purpose stuff.

Personally, I'll wait a month or so before giving it a try. I've kept up with other sec patches so I'm not too worried about it.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually it's only about 270Meg.

Been running it for about 2 days without problems. But....I did make a backup of the system first. : :eek:

Bozo :mrgrn:

Handruin

Administrator
Santilli said:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

s

See up about 4 posts... theSwede beat ya to it. :bstd:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Ohter than security, which I don't care much about, is there any reason to spend two days downloading SP2?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Some reason Windows firewall XP didn't work in SP1. Said something like
dependent services weren't started, etc.

I might have tweaked em, but I don't remember what I tweaked.

Installing SP 2 has allowed me to enable the firewall, which is comforting, since all my research shows that any other firewall avaliable is generally sucktacular. I hope Windows version works.

On the otherhand, doesn't the very concept of

"Windows XP Firewall" seem to be an oxymoron?

Self-contradiction?

How about something like:

"A patch for the screen door?"

s
:wink:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
To you slipstreamers out there...do you have to apply SP1 and then SP2 to create the slipstreamed SP2 CD or can you just apply the SP2 update?

Thanks,
C

SteveC

Storage is cool
Clocker said:
To you slipstreamers out there...do you have to apply SP1 and then SP2 to create the slipstreamed SP2 CD or can you just apply the SP2 update?

Thanks,
C

You just use SP2. It includes all the fixes from SP1.

ddrueding

Fixture
If we're logging SP2 experiences, it installed on my machine without any issues and without breaking anything.

I think it upped my ram consumption at desktop from 80MB to 110MB though...doesn't matter as I have a 'couple gig in there....

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How many extra megabytes are taken after the installation is complete? My C: partition is getting crowded.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I slipstreamed SP2 into my WinXP CD and installed it on my Compaq Armada M700 laptop (P3 500, 512MB). I'm having no issues and my WG511 (802.llg) Netgear PCMCIA card is also working great. The WinXP wireless configuration is working fine too (don't need to use the Netgear utility).

I'll do my desktop machine within a week or so as I get time.

ddrueding

Fixture
About that "no issues" thing I said earlier.....nevermind.

I'm pretty sure it is to blame for my remote desktop failure. Though it's enabled in the firewall; perhaps it just changed the IP/name enough to confuse my router...we'll see when I get home.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm also waiting to install SP2. I don't want to kill my machine right now.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i updated my 3 machines on the weekend. No problems except for I tried to use the firewall and ran into problems so I went back to a firewall -less network.

There's also a patch to help fix the TCP connections limit that SP2 imposed, I ran that patch on my box that does file sharing.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
It should not be a suprise that a lot of programs/apps are broken by SP2. They were originally developed for a platform that has holes galore. Now that many of the holes have been filled and a modest firewall has been added, I would expect a lot of apps and programs to require an update themselves to work properly or at least for the firewall to be configured to work properly with them.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have XP on exactly ONE computer.

I am supremely pissed that it keeps fucking telling me to install antivirus software.

Hi, Microsoft, last time I checked, AV software was OPTIONAL.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc-
Just go to Control Panel-Security Center and tell it you are configuring your own AV software. The messages will then go away.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, nevermind, XP caused exactly zero issues on all my machines. My DynDNS client was the culprit after all.

I don't run antivirus software either, and a simple checkbox removed the warning after the first occurance.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com