New here...

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
It's telling me that I can't edit my profile.

Anyway, I lurked some on some old threads, namely:

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php/5327-Vomit-Box-A-lesson-learned?

and

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php/1477-Help-me-with-a-vomit-box-upgrade

as well as some newer ones, like

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php/9965-Windows-8-1

I must say, my new favorite people are mubs and Mercutio. Seriously, you guys know your stuff. I think with time I will come to feel at home here.

ddrueding

Fixture
Welcome to the community ;)

We are a fairly small bunch, but some of the users are massively knowledgeable. I suspect your profile will open up with time. Probably one of the SPAM filters...

Handruin

Administrator
It's telling me that I can't edit my profile.

Anyway, I lurked some on some old threads, namely:

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php/5327-Vomit-Box-A-lesson-learned?

and

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php/1477-Help-me-with-a-vomit-box-upgrade

as well as some newer ones, like

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php/9965-Windows-8-1

I must say, my new favorite people are mubs and Mercutio. Seriously, you guys know your stuff. I think with time I will come to feel at home here.

Welcome to SF. If you decide to stay around for a while and add more posts, eventually the options to edit your profile will be available along with posting URLs unmoderated. Those restrictions are precautions to slow down spammers from getting their crap onto the forums.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
As Dave said, welcome...

Also, if you do Folding@Home or interested, SF has it's own team (in case you weren't aware). Coug is attempting to get new people on board at this time, so expect him to mention it.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Welcome to the forum sedrosken!

Most forums have restrictions for new users; this is pretty common. As Handruin pointed out, restrictions are eased as your post count goes up.

I'm surprised (and somewhat flattered) that you think me knowledgeable. In my opinion, I know less than anybody here, and am constantly learning from the experts that grace this board with their free and unstinting help.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Why do you run & hide, you little monkey?! No need to be afraid of telling the truth. Silly goose. C'mere, let me give you a real big hug and hoist you on my shoulder.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Thanks everyone!

Please tell me the "enter a captcha to post" thing will go away with more posts too?

I can see that just getting really annoying.

I have no idea what folding at home is, but I will look into it shortly!

I'm 15 and I've tinkered around with computers for about 6 years. I started with learning how to reinstall Windows when I was 9, and moved on to hardware when I was 11 or 12. My specialty lies with Pentium 3-era hardware, basically anything that can reasonably set itself up (jumpers or DIP switches I can do with proper documentation).

My first guinea pig was a Dell Dimension 4100. God, was that thing heavy! It must've weighed at least 35-40 pounds! It was a donation from someone at my middle school, and because it was so old, literally no one but me had any use for it. It had a Coppermine Pentium III @ 866 MHz and 256 MB of PC133 SDR RAM. The CD drive, HDD, FDD, and graphics card were all busted. I replaced the broken crap with a DVD-ROM/CD-RW, a 160 GB HDD (not exactly a period piece but I had to take what I can get), a nondescript Sony FDD, and an nVidia GeForce MX 440 (again, not a period piece, but... You get the picture). I installed XP on it, which ran okay until I installed SP3. After that, it was like running 98SE on a 386SX-16. Watch it crawl. Anyway, I bumped the RAM up to 512 MB and all was well once again.

My current Frankenstein is:
Pentium 4 1.9 GHz (4 x 100 MHz FSB)
1 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce MX (no 440 here)
WD800 Caviar HDD (80 GB)
Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM
nondescript FDD
and HOLY CRAP a Dynex Enhanced Wireless G Card!

All of this runs Windows 2000 with the unofficial service pack 5 and update roll up 2 (also unofficial) installed. Surprisingly my wireless works with Win2k! I run K-Meleon with flash player... 10.2, I think... And Java 6u31. I can even watch YouTube videos on it, provided I watch them at 240p. 360p if I let it sit and buffer.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Welcome to SF.

... and some of the users are ... well ... at least I'm good looking. G'day sedrosken.

I'm not even good looking!

Welcome to the forum sedrosken!
... I know less than anybody here ...

LOL. Not by a long shot. I'm the kid listening to the group of grown ups talk. I'm sure I'm less knowledgeable than you. Heck I just upgraded to win7 from XP THIS year.

Handruin

Administrator
In my opinion, I know less than anybody here, and am constantly learning from the experts that grace this board with their free and unstinting help.

I'm sure I'm less knowledgeable than you. Heck I just upgraded to win7 from XP THIS year.

You're both selling yourselves too short. You're both more knowledgeable than you think.

I highly recommend taking 20 minutes and watch this nice TED talk which basically says, fake it until you become it. It's a great positive message.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks everyone!

Please tell me the "enter a captcha to post" thing will go away with more posts too?

I can see that just getting really annoying.

I have no idea what folding at home is, but I will look into it shortly!

I'm 15 and I've tinkered around with computers for about 6 years. I started with learning how to reinstall Windows when I was 9, and moved on to hardware when I was 11 or 12. My specialty lies with Pentium 3-era hardware, basically anything that can reasonably set itself up (jumpers or DIP switches I can do with proper documentation).

My first guinea pig was a Dell Dimension 4100. God, was that thing heavy! It must've weighed at least 35-40 pounds! It was a donation from someone at my middle school, and because it was so old, literally no one but me had any use for it. It had a Coppermine Pentium III @ 866 MHz and 256 MB of PC133 SDR RAM. The CD drive, HDD, FDD, and graphics card were all busted. I replaced the broken crap with a DVD-ROM/CD-RW, a 160 GB HDD (not exactly a period piece but I had to take what I can get), a nondescript Sony FDD, and an nVidia GeForce MX 440 (again, not a period piece, but... You get the picture). I installed XP on it, which ran okay until I installed SP3. After that, it was like running 98SE on a 386SX-16. Watch it crawl. Anyway, I bumped the RAM up to 512 MB and all was well once again.

My current Frankenstein is:
Pentium 4 1.9 GHz (4 x 100 MHz FSB)
1 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce MX (no 440 here)
WD800 Caviar HDD (80 GB)
Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM
nondescript FDD
and HOLY CRAP a Dynex Enhanced Wireless G Card!

All of this runs Windows 2000 with the unofficial service pack 5 and update roll up 2 (also unofficial) installed. Surprisingly my wireless works with Win2k! I run K-Meleon with flash player... 10.2, I think... And Java 6u31. I can even watch YouTube videos on it, provided I watch them at 240p. 360p if I let it sit and buffer.

Hopefully you're no longer seeing the reCAPTHA or nagging stuff. I know it's invasive but given the persistence of spammers it's necessary to reduce the noise and trash that they post. It's a short-term pain for a long term gain.