Netbook for the wife

ddrueding

Fixture
There is no cellular service where I work/live, except that provided by the company's provider (Nextel). The repeaters that give service up here only work for Nextel; not even regular Sprint phones work. The only Wifi capable Nextel phone came out recently, and I now have one.

Stereodude

Not really a
Anyone ever speed tested the wired network capability of their netbook? :???:

Mine seems dismal. If I can believe the performance application, it's copying data over my network at 2.3Mbyte/sec average. Task manager shows 77-80% network utilization and CPU usage is about between 15-20%. :frowner:

How can ~20Mbit/sec be 80% network utilization of a 100Mbit/sec link, and why does it use so much CPU? :arge:

ddrueding

Fixture
I did speed test the HDD of my netbooks, and they all sucked. The worst was the Intel 8GB SSD in the Acer AspireOne, but the spinning disk in my first Wind U123 wasn't much better.

Don't both those use the standard NIC on a 945 chipset? Do you think it could be a driver issue?

Stereodude

Not really a
Mine uses a Marvel something or other for wired Ethernet. The 500GB spinning disc I put in it is not slow, so that's not the problem.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just finished voiding the warranty on my own U123. 2GB of RAM and a 30GB Vertex with a customized (nLite) build of XP Pro. Thing absolutely flies.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What is the RAW conversion speed for 16-bit TIFF files?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I bought a netbook the other day, an ASUS thing. It was quite unplanned, we had just left of a 14-day trip when my 13-month old Thinkpad died, completely without warning, and just 3 weeks out of warranty. It was either drive 300km to Adelaide and buy something (anything) or turn around and go home.

So I bought the first one I found in stock at the first computer shop I got to, an ASUS with a 160GB HDD and 1GB RAM.

First impressions:

Nice sharp screen for text, bad colour for photography (not that I expected much).
The 1024 x 600 res is horrible! 1024 x 768 would be lots, lots, lots better.
Excellent battery life
Excellent keyboard, given the size.
Horrible touchpad; very difficult to do anything without plugging in an external mouse

Overall, decent value for not much money. I'll keep it as a permanent spare.

Back home, I discovered that it was going to cost between $1000 and $1600 to fix the Thinkpad (An R Series with 2.4GHz CPUs), and in the end I bought a new one, a T400. Nice machine, but bloody dear considering it's no faster than the old R Series one.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Holy crap. I see that most of the netbooks are similar in display resolution. :(

ddrueding

Fixture
That is the biggest sacrifice with netbooks IMHO. 600 pixels isn't really much for anything. I expected the CPU to be really lame, but so long as you avoid doing CPU intensive stuff (like converting RAW files), you don't even notice it. The keyboard is fine and the touchpad isn't bad, if a bit small.

It hibernates the 2GB of RAM in under 10 seconds and resumes to a non-hourglassed desktop in 15 seconds. Firefox 3.5 with 5 add-ons loads in just over 2 seconds, and the battery gauge says I have another 8.5 hours left (9-cell).

Stereodude

Not really a
It seems like most of the new 11.6" netbooks have a 1366 x 768 screen. There are also a few 10" models with the 1366 x 768 screen like the Dell Mini 10 and HP 2140.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Keep that R handy, Tannin. There's a pretty decent shot that you'll be able to find a used replacement board for far something more like AU$500. Assuming the board is what's dead.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
There are also a few 10" models with the 1366 x 768 screen like the Dell Mini 10 and HP 2140.

The standard Dell 10" screen is in fact only 576 lines, not even the 600 that's standard on other netbooks. The "HD" screen is an option, but frankly, with pixels only 3/4 the size, you'd need a magnifying glass to use one. It would be lke shrinking a 10" screen down to 7.5".

I agree that the main limitation with netbooks is the limited screen height - unfortunately, that's what enables them to be so usefully compact. Perhaps something like a hinged screen is the answer? :)

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
~~
Perhaps something like a hinged screen is the answer? :)

Wasn't there some hoo haa a few years ago about flexible/rollup displays? Maybe made with OLEDs? Anybody know where they are at with those things?

Stereodude

Not really a
The standard Dell 10" screen is in fact only 576 lines, not even the 600 that's standard on other netbooks.
There are a few others with 16:9 screens instead of 16:10 screens. The Lenovo S10 and the HP 2140 are two more.

Stereodude

Not really a
I think small LED-based projectors will beat the roll-up displays to this market segment.
However the latter will be infinitely more useful than the former. Projectors don't work well in ambient light, and they need something flat and uniformly neutral colored to boot.

ddrueding

Fixture
The guy belaying me was wearing a hard hat. I was using my personal climbing gear, and gave my belay a quick training on what to do. We were safe, provided the tower stayed up.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Or this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulsbo_(chipset)

New chipset + GMA500 graphics for Intel Atom platforms. IIRC, the new Dell Mini's are using these.

IMO, nVidia Ion seems like a better platform (performance wise) for most netbooks, considering Ion can handle most Hi Def 1080p codecs in hardware... ( http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_ion_linux&num=1 )

Apparently a lot of netbook purchasers are dissatisfied with the performance, expecting notebook performance. Expect to see more CULV based devices being pimped by Intel, now Atom is recognised for the cpu sloth it is.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmmm, I'm not convinced that CULV will offer that much better performance than Atom when you're trying to keep power usage in the same ballpark.

Frankly, Atom offers (far) more performance per watt than just about anything else out there. Castrating a Core 2 to bring it down to the same level is - IMO - not a good idea. In fact, Intel has stated that future CULV may not be based on Core 2.

I was going to suggest looking at AMD's Neo, but then I saw some benchmarks and realized how far off the pace AMD is on this. :( Performance is somewhat better than Atom but power consumption is not in the same ballpark at all (as I understand it, it's several times greater, versus only a few times for Intel's CULV).

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm perfectly happy with the performance of Atom. I wouldn't mind some more speed, but not with a loss of battery life. With the right other components, it is a fast boot and fast app loading little monster.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
We were safe, provided the tower stayed up.

Hmm, then the top of the trees must have been nearly 50ft. I seriously doubt that antenna is engineered for the weight of 2 people. Needs guy wires, a strong wind could have made it collapse from the weight of 2 people on it- especially someone might weight :D.

Apple's mkt cap is now ahead of Google, based on skyrocketing stock price...sure wish I had some money to buy a few thousand shares when they hit bottom just a short while ago.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/07/22/cook.on.apple.netbook/

"Some customers [...] become disappointed and disenchanted after they buy one of these," said Cook, "I think some of the netbooks that are being delivered or many of those are very slow, have software technology that is old, they don't have a robust computing experience, they lack horsepower, they have small displays and cramped keyboards. I could go on and on, but I won't.

Cook insinuated a netbook would not be in line with Apple's business model, stating, "That kind of thing I think many people will not be happy with and we're only going to plan things where we can deliver something that is very innovative and that we're very proud of."

Apple has openly complained of poor netbook hardware and has insisted it will not enter the netbook market on numerous occasions. An Apple touchscreen netbook would be a significant addition to Apple's product line up, providing users with a less expensive alternative to the MacBook Pro line.

Until better processors come out, the recent sealed (higher capacity) Li-Poly idea being embraced by Apple for their laptops is where the max runtime is going to be. Up on an antenna, that could collapse at any minute; runtime isn't so important, a bright LED backlit screen *is*. Think dd should go buy one of those unibody, stiffer MacBook Air, put a Vertex Turbo SSD in it, and run Winblows RTM 7 from that...charge it off to company, they can afford it.

Someday, sometime in the future, we'll get those always promised brighter/more vivid colors OLED screens

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I wound up ordering three MSI Wind U123s this week for different people, each one was someone whose notebook had died and each one will keep someone from buying some shitty $400 Toshiba or Acer slug.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
DV2 looks good but I will wait for Congo to release. Then it will be a desktop replacement.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm probably most interested in an 11.6" Ion / Atom powered system, or perhaps even a 11.6" CULV Core2 system. Long term the 1024x600 resolution screen on my Samsung N120 has turned out to be a deal breaker for me. I find myself not wanting to use it due to the limited screen real estate. I also find that web surfing on it is pokey. Admittedly, that's probably due to the extra CPU cycles sucked up by NoScript, Adblock, and all the other Firefox extensions I'm running, but still...