Netbook for the wife

Stereodude

Not really a
Ok, so I now have 2GB of RAM and a 500GB HD in my netbook.

Mwahahahaha... :evil:

;)

PS: And a special thank you to Samsung for not including an XP disc or any sort of disc to restore the system from. :mad:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Interesting, but you have to expressly add a WiFi module & an AC adapter. I'm going to guess that once configured similar to an Atom-based machine the price isn't any better. The idea of using AAs is neat and gives you better power independence v. a proprietary Li-Ion battery but the proprietary battery probably gets better energy/weight and uses less space.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Interesting new MSI Wind U115. Atom Z530, 8GB SSD + 160GB HD (runs off the SSD, activates HD as needed), 3 cell battery w/optional 9 cell (up to 18 hour run time) at just over 3 pounds. Once the price is released I'll compare it to the 6 cell U123, possibly with a 60GB Vertex to replace the HD.

I admit to being a little skeptical about an 8GB SSD; it seems small if someone would consider later upgrading to Windows 7. I think 16GB SSD + 120GB HD would have been a better mix.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
So now that you guys have had some time with your Netbooks would you recommend one for someone to do internet stuff and light Office work?

Is there a current consensus on the optimal model?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I admit to being a little skeptical about an 8GB SSD; it seems small if someone would consider later upgrading to Windows 7. I think 16GB SSD + 120GB HD would have been a better mix.

FYI

It's worth noting that while Microsoft claims any version of Windows 7 will run on current netbooks, Intel is not making such claims. In fact, Anand Chandrasekher, Intel's head of Ultra Mobility, recently said that Intel will be releasing new Atom processors in the second half of 2009 that will support Windows 7 Starter and Basic editions
http://www.cio.com/article/490588/Windows_Ultimate_on_a_Netbook_See_How_it_Runs

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
So now that you guys have had some time with your Netbooks would you recommend one for someone to do internet stuff and light Office work?

Is there a current consensus on the optimal model?

Is there an opinion on the Dell products?

ddrueding

Fixture
I really like mine, but would want something with the dual-core atom, a lower power chipset, and a bigger battery. Also get something with a 2.5" SATA drive, so you can swap it out for an SSD easier. The usability of these things revolves around the ability for it to boot and load a browser as quickly as possible.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Howell, the guts of the machines don't really vary all that much. I'd suggest going to a retail joint like Best Buy and playing with the models on display, focusing on the screens & keyboards. For me, the Wind became the obvious choice based on the keyboard layout & feel. So I've concentrated on them. That said, I haven't bought yet and likely won't for a little while.

And as dd & Merc mentioned, make sure any model you choose can be set up with a 6 cell battery. The extra weight is trivial but the added run time is not.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
To me the biggest difference between netbooks is how the keyboards are set up. I hear the new Eees are better but man the old ones have teh suck.

ddrueding

Fixture
I get to order one this afternoon for a friend. He would like one with a built-in cellular card, at least a 6-cell battery, and a decent screen.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I stand by my original review last year. As promised, I bought an MSI Wind this year (back in February). I don't get to see it much because my daughters fight over it, but it seems to run Visual Studio okay, and as I said, it's a much better design than most other netbooks.

Having lived with the Acer for six months, I can say it was terrific value, but as Merc has warned, I'm not convinced by the quality. Could well be a software issue, but very occasionally the wireless networking seems to fall into a black hole. And I'm about to do my second full reload in six months to solve problems. Mind you, it's only 10 minutes with a USB drive, but I don't think I should have to do it at all.

Compared to the MSI Wind, I think the Acer Aspire One is highly competitive in most ergonomic aspects, and blows the former away when it comes to touchpads. I've seen so-called reviewers moan about the shape of the Acer touchpad, but it's actually very good, whereas the MSI is just terrible. Also, the Acer's glossy screen is a really good idea on a low-power laptop.

It was easy to upgrade the MSI to 2GB RAM - I didn't bother with the Acer, it's running a compact version of Linux and really doesn't need more than 512MB.

It's worth remembering that I bought well with the Acer, and it ended up costing almost exactly half the MSI. So I'm inclined to feel generous. :)

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I'm not convinced of the whole netbook idea at all. My idea of an ultraportable runs to something like the HP DV2z, slightly larger than the 10" Asus, but thinner. It also boasts a 12.2" LED screen--1200x800--discrete graphics, standard peripherals. OK battery life won't be near as good, but for my needs, it would be a lot more usable. Oh, the z version comes with a dual core Neo.

Single core DV2 review
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/16783

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Has anyone had to support one of these suckers? I seem to have just ordered an Ideapad S10-2 for a customer....

time

Storage? I am Storage!
My idea of an ultraportable runs to something like the HP DV2z, slightly larger than the 10" Asus, but thinner. It also boasts a 12.2" LED screen--1200x800--discrete graphics, standard peripherals. OK battery life won't be near as good, but for my needs, it would be a lot more usable. Oh, the z version comes with a dual core Neo.

I understand where you're coming from, but you're comparing apples with pineapples. I'm going to deliberately ignore the 10" Asus, because it's oversized, overweight and overpriced.

Comparing the HP DV2z with the MSI Wind, the Wind is nearly 2.5" (25%) shallower - which means you can actually use it on public transport such as trains and planes. That's a huge advantage, offset by the limited vertical screen size.

The Wind weighs only 2/3 as much as the DV2 and takes up only 55% (ignoring battery protrusion) of the space (volume).

It also has two RAM slots to the DV2's one (good luck finding that 4MB SODIMM), Bluetooth, and a true megapixel webcam.

The DV2 default graphics is - correct me if I'm wrong - no better than the Intel 945G crap that netbooks sport. And as you say, if you opt for the 'dedicated' graphics options, battery life gets clobbered.

Of course, the AMD Neo is a huge plus technically, but in a growing world of Citrix and VM servers, I'm no longer as impressed by workstation CPU power.

AFAIK, all current netbooks have LCD backlit screens.

Finally, the DV2, even in base configuration, costs at least twice as much as the MSI Wind.

I'm actually a huge fan of the Lenovo X series, which collectively are a far, far more deserving candidate for the "ultaportable" moniker. But they're even more expensive.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
(-) AFAIK, all current netbooks have LCD backlit screens.

(+) AFAIK, all current netbooks have LED backlit screens.

:oops:

ddrueding

Fixture
I managed to toast my Acer AspireOne (too much tinkering; must have opened it up at least 30 times). Now I'm looking for another one. The best out seems to be the MSI Wind U123, but I noticed it still has a 945 chipset. Wasn't there something better coming Real Soon Now?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The U123 is my current leading choice, although I don't expect to buy anytime soon.

If you really want something with better performance characteristics, RDP from the Wind to a faster machine. :)

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sorry to barge in, but I am also in search of a netbook. I want one with 3 USB ports, XP, NLT 1GB RAM and ideally a 2.5" HD that can be replaced. I will be using the netbook for travel, and stuffing it in the checked luggage. Applications will be Breeze Downloader Pro, Breeze Browser Pro and DPP. I might install an old version of PS (6.0?), but would not do any real work on it. How fast/slow is the CPU compared to the one in a old sub-notebook such as the Pentium M 900MHz (Bananias?).

The cost should be less than $500, since it may be a throwaway item after 12days of field use. I would bring my primary notebook, but they are no longer made and I could not bear losing it at this time. :sad: Which netbooks are currently the best for my intended purpose, or are there none? I can wait until mid-August if necessary. Thanks.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Sorry to barge in, but I am also in search of a netbook. I want one with 3 USB ports, XP, NLT 1GB RAM and ideally a 2.5" HD that can be replaced. I will be using the netbook for travel, and stuffing it in the checked luggage. Applications will be Breeze Downloader Pro, Breeze Browser Pro and DPP. I might install an old version of PS (6.0?), but would not do any real work on it. How fast/slow is the CPU compared to the one in a old sub-notebook such as the Pentium M 900MHz (Bananias?).

The cost should be less than $500, since it may be a throwaway item after 12days of field use. I would bring my primary notebook, but they are no longer made and I could not bear losing it at this time. :sad: Which netbooks are currently the best for my intended purpose, or are there none? I can wait until mid-August if necessary. Thanks.

I don't know what you should buy, but when you throw it away I'll take it instead. I'll even pay shipping and handling!

Stereodude

Not really a
Most of them meet your requirements. I don't think you'll find the 1.6gHz Atom that much faster than a Pentium M 900MHz though. However, I find my netbook to be plenty quick.

FWIW, I like my Samsung N120! :mrgrn:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Maybe the U115 w/8GB SSD & 160GB HD. It runs of the SSD & uses the HD for storage. Seems it would meet your requirements. The U123 that DD mentioned above should do OK as well. While the N280 in the U123 has a higher bus speed than the Z530 i nthe U115, the Z series CPUs apparently have some more advanced tech in them.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I understand where you're coming from, but you're comparing apples with pineapples. I'm going to deliberately ignore the 10" Asus, because it's oversized, overweight and overpriced.

Comparing the HP DV2z with the MSI Wind, the Wind is nearly 2.5" (25%) shallower - which means you can actually use it on public transport such as trains and planes. That's a huge advantage, offset by the limited vertical screen size.

The Wind weighs only 2/3 as much as the DV2 and takes up only 55% (ignoring battery protrusion) of the space (volume).

It also has two RAM slots to the DV2's one (good luck finding that 4MB SODIMM), Bluetooth, and a true megapixel webcam.

The DV2 default graphics is - correct me if I'm wrong - no better than the Intel 945G crap that netbooks sport. And as you say, if you opt for the 'dedicated' graphics options, battery life gets clobbered.

Of course, the AMD Neo is a huge plus technically, but in a growing world of Citrix and VM servers, I'm no longer as impressed by workstation CPU power.

AFAIK, all current netbooks have LCD backlit screens.

Finally, the DV2, even in base configuration, costs at least twice as much as the MSI Wind.

I'm actually a huge fan of the Lenovo X series, which collectively are a far, far more deserving candidate for the "ultaportable" moniker. But they're even more expensive.

I wasn't comparing, I wouldn't even consider a netbook. They don't work for me. For others sure. Peoples needs vary. But I think there is an element of "new toy" with netbooks. I've watched 8 SAP consultants at work with their netbooks over the last four months. Early on, there was great enthusiasm (they'd just gotten them), especially with wireless internet. But now, there is a lot of squinting and cursing the limited screen and tiny keyboards getting in the way of "work". One of them ditched his Eee for (I think) a HP DV6 or similar, 13.3" screen, dual core Pentium or so and (I think) 1366x768 screen, larger keyboard. He is much happier and the others are looking on enviously. I've looked at the dv6 described above (or something similar) and a dv2 side by side, and the dv6 is getting into the notebook territory in size and weight. The dv2 is significantly thinner, lighter and smaller. But, the heat generated by it is not insignificant. One was using WMP to play back a video (~40-45% CPU continuous and the heat coming out the vent was very noticeable). Oh and the Radeon graphics are much better than Intel GM450 or whatever they are using at the moment.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'd never suggest a netbook for corporate use unless the user had very light-duty needs.

Your SAP consultants were using the wrong tool for the job. One clue is netbooks ship with the Home version of Windows. That should say something about the target market and about the machines capabilities in a business environment (I have business apps, for instance, that won't run on Home versions of XP). And if I were going to stare at a screen for hours each day and needed to concentrate, I'd never opt for a small screen on the portable unless I'd be using an external monitor most of the time. What other bad decisions are these guys making?

IMO netbooks fit the bill for light to medium duty browsing, light duty office apps, listening to music, and limited video playback. In a pinch they'll work for just about anything but only temporarily.

The draw for me is a device I can take places where having even a laptop might be inconvenient. Sure I've got a notebook from work but it's nearly 8 pounds and when I take it, it goes in a backpack with charger and other accessories. Also, as a company resource, I'm obligated to use the locking cable. Not to mention it doesn't really boot up all that fast. It isn't really what I want to take to the coffee shop to use while enjoying my brew or, even, to set on my lap at home to look up sites while watching TV.

Maybe a sub-notebook would do but the netbook formfactor and price appeals to me. Screens smaller than 10" are not comfortable for me to work on for any length of time; machines with larger screens start to pack on the pounds and dollars. I realize netbooks are disposable machines but that's fine.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I am interested in seeing the new ultra-thin netbooks that are on their way. I believe Asus and MSI will both be shipping machines with form factors in line with the Lenovo X300 at a substantially lower price. If I had any interest in a netbook for myself, I'd prefer to have one as small and light as possible.

ddrueding

Fixture
So far the best use for my netbooks has been up on a tower aligning antennas. I was lead-climbing a free standing tower that near the top was about a foot across. At the top, clipped in, I needed to align the antenna I had just mounted. With the wind starting to blow a bit and the tower swaying, a laptop would have been a bit too bulky.

I could have used a faster boot time, though. It seemed to take forever (I am scared of heights).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
So far the best use for my netbooks has been up on a tower aligning antennas. I was lead-climbing a free standing tower that near the top was about a foot across. At the top, clipped in, I needed to align the antenna I had just mounted. With the wind starting to blow a bit and the tower swaying, a laptop would have been a bit too bulky.

I could have used a faster boot time, though. It seemed to take forever (I am scared of heights).

Aren't you the CIO at a mid-sized company? What in the hell are you doing climbing towers?

ddrueding

Fixture
Don't ask anyone else to do what you aren't willing to do yourself. Setting up the wireless WAN is one of my pet projects, no one else really believes in it.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak

What, no pix? How tall a tower?

The newly updated MacBookAir would have suited you (faster boot on W7 :) w/256GB Samsung SSD), one of the faster smaller laptops for it's size...they even dropped the price a little :p

Last time I tried to get DSL, the guy from the Teleco pulled a ruggedized Panasonic up the wood tele pole, about 20-25ft I would guess, using a rope, IIRC. And when he was done, he lowered it back to the ground same way. Pretty bulky and heavy if you ask me, screen was nearly impossible to see in the sunlight on a bright Fall day...was an older model I suspect, but *no* LCD is really going to be very visible under such conditions.