Need suggestion for good free web based email

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have a hotmail account that I have had for years and except for the joke lists and some personal contact stuff it is unusable due to all the spam and the way a contact has to be setup already to allow it to go to the inbox.

I will be moving very soon and I need a web based email that won't make itself unusable due to spam.

I was hoping Google mail would be up an running by now, guess not though.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Yahoo just increased their webmail storage space to 100MBs, plus they don't count what's in the Bulk Mail folder against the limit.

timwhit said:
Anyone know how to get an invitation?

You can try Gmail swap.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I've been using Gmail for a little while. I like it. 1 GB is very nice. I would offer you one of my invitations, but they've all been earmarked or used by friends and family. Maybe Google will let me offer a few more out - at first they allowed me to offer 2, but then they added 3 more.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Adcadet said:
I've been using Gmail for a little while. I like it. 1 GB is very nice. I would offer you one of my invitations, but they've all been earmarked or used by friends and family. Maybe Google will let me offer a few more out - at first they allowed me to offer 2, but then they added 3 more.

If you get more that would be sweet.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
People who have Gmail accounts get invitations to hand out. I think that this is a way for Google to keep control of the user growth.

I just opened my account, so, I should get some invitations to give out in a week or so.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I'll keep ya guys posted. Like I said, I've got a few (3, though I'm pretty sure 1 will be taken later tonight) that I've earmarked for family and friends - if they turn it down I'll bring them here.

Opening up a Blogger account might help. That's how I got my original account.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
my biggest complaint about Gmail is the lack of IMAP support, though with the unique way it handles conversations ("threads" is what I think it calls them) and lables I'm not sure a regular email client would integrate well. The threads method works very well with conversations that go many emails deep as long as both people stay on topic. I can only imagine the horror of trying to find that little piece of important info buried in dozens of little mindless emails. Perhaps that's where the searching comes in handy.

I have yet to see an add. Granted, I have only emailed a few people. I mostly use it to email myself large (>10 MB) documents to print at school.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yahoo's service is pretty sweet. My 50MB account morphed into a 2GB account earlier this week. Too bad it's not free.

Myrealbox.com also offers great service.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Going to investigate fastmail.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I would be interested in signing up for G-Mail. If any of you have an invitation that you would like to extend to me sometime in the future, I'd greatly apprecaite it.

Clocker

Handruin

Administrator
I just got an invite today and signed up. So far it works good, I like the interface. If I get invites (which I think I should), I'll let you guys know. It'll be first come first serve for those who are interested. :)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
People act as if there is some magical limit on the number of Gmail accounts, and that if they don't get in soon, they never will....

Handruin

Administrator
sechs, I never believed there was any kind of magical limit...but unless you want a name like sechs234187d, you might want to register one earlier. I don't think it will be that difficult, but regardless...it's fun to try out new things, why be negative about it.

If I get any invites, I'll post them with a challenge so there is a fair chance for anyone who is interested.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually, a login name like that is far less likely to get random spam, which is a good thing.

The way that many people act, however, you'd think that Google was giving out flakes of gold.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
sechs said:
Actually, a login name like that is far less likely to get random spam, which is a good thing.

The way that many people act, however, you'd think that Google was giving out flakes of gold.

What, did you guys not get your quad zeon machine, free toaster, and $20,000 US savings bondwith your gmail account?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
one of the people I offered a Gmail account to a while ago got 5 invitations to offer. So more are coming . . .

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Just got my very own Gmail account on ebay. I don't even know if I will use it all that often. I just was really curious to see how it works.

Someone send me a message: timwhit at gmail.com

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I think the coolest thing about gmail is how fast it is. That's the problem I always have with Yahoo mail is that it is incredibly slow. Plus there are ads everywhere. The text ads on Google are not annoying at all either which is a bonus.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ever heard of YahooPOPS, timwhit?
Or, if you have a paid account (with a 2GB limit!), just using Yahoo's POP3 server?

Oh well. I'd take an invite, but I know full well that my nick is one that gets chosen very quickly anyway. :(

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I normally use the pop3 mail from my domain timwhit.com, but I was just comparing the speed of yahoo's and google's webmail.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
timwhit said:
I normally use the pop3 mail from my domain timwhit.com, but I was just comparing the speed of yahoo's and google's webmail.
Yahoo's webmail seemed to be at least several times quicker now since their most recent change within the last two weeks.... I just used it last week as I had to log in through webmail in order to get YahooPops working again...everytime Yahoo changes something (which fortunately isn't very often) it buggers Yahoopops (well actually, YahooPops just keeps reporting that there is no new mail on the server....
after a couple of days of no one sending me their love, I usually just check YP's forum to see what's up and ususally there's already a thread which informs that you have to log into Yahoo via webmail to click some dumb authentication this or that and all will be well with YP afterwards).

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I just want to pop back in and say that fastmail.us is pretty nice. No BS at all and works slick. Thanks again.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Looks like free hotmail is getting a 250MB limit soon....and it works with OE which is nice.

Hotmail will announce plans to offer more space to customers. In a bid to rival Google's upcoming Gmail, MSN plan to give free customers as much as 250meg of email space. MSN will also announce a plan to have a "plus" paid version of Hotmail for $19.95 a year which will include 2gig of email space.

Free Hotmail Service:

250meg storage + 10meg attachment limit
30 day expiry if no activity
Antivirus scan & clean

Hotmail Plus Service:
Annual fee (prize varies per country) expected to be $19.99
2gig of storage + 20meg attachment limit
No expire date
No uneeded graphics or ads
Access to pop3 settings
Antivirus scan & clean

Adcadet

Storage Freak
does this mean Hotmail will now come standard with 100-times more spam than before in order to fill up the 250 MB limit?