MIA members

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Going over the members list I noticed quite a few regulars haven't posted here in a while, sometimes a long while. Anyone know what happened to:

Cougtek
Fushigi
Howell/Cliptin
Prof. Wizard
flagreen
James
SteveC
honold
Jan Kivar

That about covers all those with >200 posts who haven't been here for several months or more. I know honold and Prof. Wizard had a going out of sorts a while back so we probably won't see them again. I'm a little surprised about all the others, though. Are any of them having personal issues as I did for a while? And to come to think of it Tannin/Tea hasn't been here for a few weeks, but that may be because of another trip to the outback.

On a rather morbid note, has anyone here made arrangements to somehow post a message on any boards you frequent in case you pass on? I know on Candlepowerforums at least two regulars died in the past year that I'm aware of. Thankfully they had friends/relatives to post the unfortunate news.

ddrueding

Fixture
Tannin is indeed on another long photography trip. The others I'm not so sure about.

Lost6200 (Eric) has mentioned a few times of interest in a post-after-death arrangement of sorts. For me, if you don't see me for more than a month, it means I'm dead ;)

LOST6200

Storage is cool
On a rather morbid note, has anyone here made arrangements to somehow post a message on any boards you frequent in case you pass on? I know on Candlepowerforums at least two regulars died in the past year that I'm aware of. Thankfully they had friends/relatives to post the unfortunate news.

I didnto find any atomatic way to accomplish that. Notthat anywone will carem but bhoew to verify tthe functionality?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Coug got mad after one of his posts was modded. Something about the World Cup, IIRC. Coug isn't responding to my e-mails, either (I have his real address and stuff).
Howell lurks, I think, but no longer posts. He got annoyed one day and left.
We're too liberal for Flagreen.
I don't know where Fushigi, James, Jan Kivar or SteveC went, or why. I miss all four of them though.
Prof. Wizard can staple his dick to the floor and light himself on fire. I'd feel bad about wasting the staple.
honold chose to return to SR and not visit here.
James moved on ages ago.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't think James died, there was never any mention of it that I remember (but I don't know how we would know). I think he just got sick of drama and never returned. He has been gone for many years now.

Prof. Wizard and honold never wanted to be here in the first place...they always argued with people and felt like everyone was against them (I can't really remember). You can find their last messages if you want to see what happened. I don't want to bring back the drama they created so I'm not even going to look for their posts. :)

I also think Coug is mad (like merc said) because I modded his inappropriate post. I have the original saved if there was ever any question, but for the few who saw it will agree it was inappropriate. It is a shame too, because I like Coug...I just think he went over the line with that post. I don't think it warranted him leaving, but whatever makes him happy. I don't like most drama so I try not to play into it for anyone.

Howell seemed to be annoyed with the posting of a female picture and just up and quit. He asked for his account to be deleted, but I did not do so. Sad to see him go...he was insightful and a good chap. It may have been more than that post. I think people in general look for a final reason to make a change in their life (be it quitting a forum or whatever) and that could of been his.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Everything is an illusion. Everything is transient. :king:

True, with the exception of the most indestructible material known to mankind.

I am, of course, thinking of the chicken at the average fast food restaurant.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I think people in general look for a final reason to make a change in their life (be it quitting a forum or whatever) and that could of been his.
That's probably true. So far I've registered on I think seven forums. Four of them are train related and I hadn't posted much to any of them for a while even before my father passed on. I just needed a break from the train stuff. The other three are SF, SR and Candlepowerforums. I haven't posted at SR for a long while but I may again sometime in the future if it suits me. I actually spend a lot more time at Candlepowerforums than here simply because that's my main area of interest now, and also a likely source of potential future income selling products to fellow members. I can't say I would entirely quit any forum. I may not post there for months, perhaps even a few years, but if it suits me to start posting again I will. This place is as much a group of friends as it is a place to share some common interests so I felt compelled to return as soon as I could. Right now SR has no such attraction. Most of the people whom I grew attached to there have long since left. Some came here, others just disappeared into cyberspace. Fact is people change, move on, etc. I suppose it's unrealistic to expect that any of us, or even this site, will be around forever. Same goes for every other forum I frequent. The Internet as a whole is still relatively young. Who knows if some websites are destined to become institutions in time? We're all part of a great experiment here.

For what it's worth I've consistently spent a longer span of time with the people on this site than I have with most of my "real world" friends.

ddrueding

Fixture
For what it's worth I've consistently spent a longer span of time with the people on this site than I have with most of my "real world" friends.

I doubt you are alone in this category; I know its true for me. I spend more time here than I do working, more time than dancing, more time than...well, everything but driving and pleasing the woman. ;)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Tannin is indeed on another long photography trip. The others I'm not so sure about.

Lost6200 (Eric) has mentioned a few times of interest in a post-after-death arrangement of sorts. For me, if you don't see me for more than a month, it means I'm dead ;)

What about jail or prison? One could be incarcerated for months or years and not post.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
What about jail or prison? One could be incarcerated for months or years and not post.

Well I was thinking more along the lines of reasons because of 'driving' (accident while flirting @100 ;) ) or 'pleasing woman' :eek:wneddnce:(what a stud/ladies man, and especially with those jealous husbands) could both result in being in the hospital with broken bones/hands such that internet access would be off the table for a month or so, lol. Of course jtr knows I'm already dead :p, so it doesn't matter if I don't post again. Then again, I could just get fed up with all the annoying BS of people I don't like, dealing with all the s*** here in the USA, being tired of the rat race; just chuck it all and disappear into some back country town in China, were people are still impoverished like some African nation (never mind the ever expanding economic juggernaut of the East coast urban areas in China), never to speak to an English speaking person again.

ddrueding

Fixture
Jail and prison are places where I don't plan to be again, TYVM. And you can still use your laptop in the hospital during visiting hours, but they take it from you at night. (At least that's how it worked for a friend when he lost his leg).

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Jail and prison are places where I don't plan to be again, TYVM. And you can still use your laptop in the hospital during visiting hours, but they take it from you at night. (At least that's how it worked for a friend when he lost his leg).

Not if you have broken fingers/hands, or other incapacitaing injuries, unless you have ViaVoice or some other voice activated dictation software.

"this doll is a virgin" LMFAO, from tonight's Boston Legal epi. (it's and inside joke...maybe only valid to me).

LOST6200

Storage is cool

They let me use the notebook last tiem sufferin in th hopitas but no tthe cel phnoe. Must go to toilets are secretely use the cllophone. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
I don't think he has either. I figured he moved on to other things.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I got some PMs from Blake in late October. He wanted me to look at a friend's resume. Unfortunately, the forum software kept mangling the URL or something, and I never got to see it.
Nonetheless, he's been by.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Going over the members list I noticed quite a few regulars haven't posted here in a while, sometimes a long while. Anyone know what happened to:

Cougtek
Fushigi
Howell/Cliptin
Prof. Wizard
flagreen
James
SteveC
honold
Jan Kivar

That about covers all those with >200 posts who haven't been here for several months or more.

Probably should go in a long SR post, but I've said it before...anyone, can anyone get me a Startrek style phaser? Really should have keep that 'Starwars' anti missle program going that Ronald Regan started.

Pedestrians and transit vehicles/or trains, etc don't mix well. Those with the 'power' pay no attention to us human powered machines. Every friggin time I go walking for exercise, at any given lighted/signal controlled intersection, some A-hole nearly runs me down. It's like I am a bowling ball pin, there for their entertainment to try to knock down...dead *argh*!!!

If only all pedestrians were equipped with vehicle elimination phaser guns, for obvious offenders (not accidental missed vision, but those clearly that see you, drive right at you, while talking on their friggin cell phones, driving on handed). Could over the next few decades, dramatically reduce the need for "infrastructure" road building/improvements by reducing all the bad drivers out there :D

ddrueding

Fixture
In San Francisco, when I lived there, there was a major problem with cars killing pedestrians. The city decided that the best way to stop it would be to paint the chalk outlines of those killed permanently onto the street where they fell. There was one on my walk to work, and it certainly got my attention. One day, there was a second outline next to the first...who would be that stupid?

Walking is the same as riding a motorcycle; operate as if invisible. It is the only reasonable approach.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
In San Francisco, when I lived there, there was a major problem with cars killing pedestrians. The city decided that the best way to stop it would be to paint the chalk outlines of those killed permanently onto the street where they fell. There was one on my walk to work, and it certainly got my attention. One day, there was a second outline next to the first...who would be that stupid?
We did something similar here on a few of the worst streets. Instead of a chalk outline, they put up a sign saying a pedestrian was killed here. The thing that annoys me most are the politicians who'll harp on the number of pedestrian deaths without distinguishing between those who were killed crossing legally (or maybe hit by a car jumping on the sidewalk) and those killed by their own negligence. I've seen so many pedestrains cross without looking, with their back turned to traffic, and often after emerging between two parked SUVs. Seeing them or avoiding them is often impossible in such situations. IMO they shouldn't even be counted among the statistics if they caused their own deaths. Same thing with cyclists. Some are unfortunate victims but many tempt fate with their riding habits.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
Probably should go in a long SR post, but I've said it before...anyone, can anyone get me a Startrek style phaser?

I've got one, and this is not one of those toy phasers. This is a real-deal lethal phaser that can do the full spectrum of Stun up right on up through Kill.

These things are not toys! I mistakenly lent it to these f%$king idiots for their video -- used at the 3:08 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wddY7qCn-ig

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Think you might get a lot of false positives using one service below ;)

Another yahoo AP link which will be dead in a few weeks, so CnP the whole thing (sorry if the P breaks don't match the original, it's a PITA to do them manually):

Deaths of gamers leave their online lives in limbo

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090314/ap_on_hi_te/tec_death_online

NEW YORK - When Jerald Spangenberg collapsed and died in the middle of a quest in an online game, his daughter embarked on a quest of her own: to let her father's gaming friends know that he hadn't just decided to desert them.

It wasn't easy, because she didn't have her father's "World of Warcraft" password and the game's publisher couldn't help her. Eventually, Melissa Allen Spangenberg reached her father's friends by asking around online for the "guild" he belonged to.

One of them, Chuck Pagoria in Morgantown, Ky., heard about Spangenberg's death three weeks later. Pagoria had put his absence down to an argument among the gamers that night.
"I figured he probably just needed some time to cool off," Pagoria said. "I was kind of extremely shocked and blown away when I heard the reason that he hadn't been back. Nobody had any way of finding this out."
With online social networks becoming ever more important in our lives, they're also becoming an important element in our deaths. Spangenberg, who died suddenly from an abdominal aneurysm at 57, was unprepared, but others are leaving detailed instructions. There's even a tiny industry that has sprung up to help people wrap up their online contacts after their deaths.

When Robert Bryant's father died last year, he left his son a little black USB flash drive in a drawer in his home office in Lawton, Okla. It was underneath a cup his son had once given him for his birthday. The drive contained a list of contacts for his son to notify, including the administrator of an online group he had been in.
"It was kind of creepy because I was telling all these people that my dad was dead," Bryant said. "It did help me out quite a bit, though, because it allowed me to clear up a lot of that stuff and I had time to help my mom with whatever she needed."

David Eagleman, a neuroscientist at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, has had plenty of time to think about the issue.
"I work in the world's largest medical center, and what you see here every day is people showing up in ambulances who didn't expect that just five minutes earlier," he said. "If you suddenly die or go into a coma, there can be a lot of things that are only in your head in terms of where things are stored, where your passwords are."
He set up a site called Deathswitch, where people can set up e-mails that will be sent out automatically if they don't check in at intervals they specify, like once a week. For $20 per year, members can create up to 30 e-mails with attachments like video files.

It's not really a profit-making venture, and Eagleman isn't sure about how many members it has — "probably close to a thousand." Nor does he know what's in the e-mails that have been created. Until they're sent out, they're encrypted so that only their creators can read them.
If Deathswitch sounds morbid, there's an alternative site: Slightly Morbid. It also sends e-mail when a member dies, but doesn't rely on them logging in periodically while they're alive. Instead, members have to give trusted friends or family the information needed to log in to the site and start the notification process if something should happen.

The site was created by Mike and Pamela Potter in Colorado Springs, Colo. They also run a business that makes software for online games. Pamela said they realized the need for a service like this when one of their online friends, who had volunteered a lot of time helping their customers on a Web message board, suddenly disappeared.

He wasn't dead: Three months later, he came back from his summer vacation, which he'd spent without Internet access. By then, the Potters had already had Slightlymorbid.com up and running for two weeks.
A third site with a similar concept plans to launch in April. Legacy Locker will charge $30 per year. It will require a copy of a death certificate before releasing information.

Peter Vogel, in Tampa, Fla., was never able to reach all of his stepson Nathan's online friends after the boy died last year at age 13 during an epileptic seizure.

A few years earlier, someone had hacked into one of the boy's accounts, so Vogel, a computer administrator, taught Nathan to choose passwords that couldn't be easily guessed. He also taught the boy not to write passwords down, so Nathan left no trail to follow.

Vogel himself has a trusted friend who knows all his important login information. As he points out, having access to a person's e-mail account is the most important thing, because many Web site passwords can be retrieved through e-mail.

Vogel joked that he hoped the only reason his friend would be called on to use his access within "the next hundred years or so" would be if Vogel forgets his own passwords.

But, he said, "as Nathan has proven, anything can happen any time, even if you're only 13."