LG V10 available with intro deal - 200GB micro sd, 3000MaH battery, charge cradle

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My phone got a minor Android version update over the weekend that re-set almost all my personal settings. It also reinstalled system apps I had removed, re-set my dialler preference, removed most of my custom sounds and deleted the two daily alarms I have set. It also lost its bluetooth pairings. All of that is inconvenient but fixable.

More importantly, my phone now seems to go into a deep sleep mode at night where it's not receiving email or other push alerts I should be getting. They still come in on my tablet, but I should be hearing the alerts from both devices, not just one. Since my phone is the device that is normally connected to speakers at night, I sort of rely on that to let me know if I need to deal with something important. Once I wake up the phone by turning the screen on, all the messages, IMs and alerts pop at the same time. I'm not in Do Not Disturb mode, so I'm not sure what setting if any I need to change in order to make my phone work the way I want it again.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
More importantly, my phone now seems to go into a deep sleep mode at night where it's not receiving email or other push alerts I should be getting. They still come in on my tablet, but I should be hearing the alerts from both devices, not just one. Since my phone is the device that is normally connected to speakers at night, I sort of rely on that to let me know if I need to deal with something important. Once I wake up the phone by turning the screen on, all the messages, IMs and alerts pop at the same time. I'm not in Do Not Disturb mode, so I'm not sure what setting if any I need to change in order to make my phone work the way I want it again.

I'm pretty sure my phone does this also. What if you plug your phone into a charger, does it still happen?

Handruin

Administrator
My phone got a minor Android version update over the weekend that re-set almost all my personal settings. It also reinstalled system apps I had removed, re-set my dialler preference, removed most of my custom sounds and deleted the two daily alarms I have set. It also lost its bluetooth pairings. All of that is inconvenient but fixable.

My previous HTC One had similar battery-saving features that disabled the radios when a certain period of inactivity happens thereby giving better idle battery life. Those were baked into HTC's customizations but I was allowed to disable them if I didn't want the phone to go to sleep. I don't believe my V10 does any of this because it drains battery pretty quick overnight even when nothing much is happening.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm pretty sure my phone does this also. What if you plug your phone into a charger, does it still happen?

My phone sits on a charger at night. It wasn't doing it prior to the most recent point upgrade. It also retained all my settings through a major version change (from L to M), but not whatever the hell just go rolled out.

I don't see any settings other than the one for leaving 802.11 on while the screen is off.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Seem to remember something about Flip being the culprit. Apparently it's constant checking on a number of different internet connections, also can really eat up your data.
In particular stock market checks.

Handruin

Administrator
After roughly 20 months of use my LG V10 bootlooped and has died. I've found on reddit that some have had success with getting this issue repaired for free even outside of warranty. I'm going to attempt this and see if I can get the phone repaired to have as a backup.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My LG G5 developed a ton of issues right around the 12 month mark. I replaced it with a Samsung S8+. I'm done with LG for now.

ddrueding

Fixture
Not sure how long I've had my G5; I got it right as it came out. And now that my wife is on Google Fi, I have a spare G5 to swap to. Won't be changing phones anytime soon.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm still using the G4 though with a geriatric double capacity battery.
I don't know what I would buy after it is done. Few phones have removable batteries now.

Handruin

Administrator
I am likely setting myself up for more disappointment but I replaced my V10 with the LG G6. My V10 died a day before I needed to travel so I made a bit of a snap decision with minimal research. I wasn't really looking to replace my phone. My decision was weighted on the recently-reduced price and now LG is offering an extended warranty putting it at 2 years but each person has to register for the extension on their own and it's not well advertised.

The one major thing I wished the G6 had was the Snapdragon 835 but even with the 821 it's far snappier than my V10 ever was. I realize Samsung bought up the supply so it wasn't possible for LG to put it in the G6. The LG V30 is likely the phone I actually want but it's not scheduled to be out until late August.

I didn't care for the longer body style layout of the S8+ with the button on the back and Bixby button might drive me bonkers, but otherwise it looks like a great phone.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I've only pressed the Bixby button maybe four times in the 3 or 4 months I've had my phone. After having 2 LG phones die before 2 years I'm done with them.

Lena

What is this storage?
I've only pressed the Bixby button maybe four times in the 3 or 4 months I've had my phone. After having 2 LG phones die before 2 years I'm done with them.

I tend to think that it depends on the model. From my experience the LG V20 is a very good phone while the LG g5 is not so good. Funny thing is that both are priced pretty close.