LG V10 available with intro deal - 200GB micro sd, 3000MaH battery, charge cradle

Handruin

Administrator
I'm interested in picking one of the LG V10 now that it's coming available in the US. Their intro deal is offering a 200GB micro SD card, an extra 3000MaH battery, and a charging cradle until Nov 15th which is a nice set of options on a new phone.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Yup. I'd be sorely tempted if I didn't only need my phone to do, like, six things. Heck, a cheap Windows Phone could accomplish everything I need. That's going to be my next phone, by the way. Why spend the extra money on a decent Android handset when a cheaper Windows Phone works just as well for what I use it for? I used to use my phone for a lot, but in recent months it's devolved into just needing to call people, text people, do some quick internet browsing, watch YouTube, listen to music, and last longer than five hours on battery.

But yes, back to the topic -- this is a very good phone. Most of the people I know who have LG phones are very satisfied with their purchases. This introductory deal just sweetens the deal further. If I had the cash and the need for a new phone that can do just about anything, this would probably be it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I still haven't been able to buy a fully functional replacement screen for my G4. None of them have had a functional light sensor.

Mercutio

Yup. They've been out since this spring. Of course that leads to the obvious question "Why 200GB and not 240?" and I don't have an answer for that.

Handruin

Administrator
Does this replace the G4?

My understanding is that it does not replace the G4. It supplements it with a larger screen and a few other changes (more ram, more internal storage, second screen, additional shock resistance) and costs about $90-$100 more than the G4 currently.

Handruin

Administrator
I picked up the phone Friday morning and I've had a couple days to play around with it. The change in design from my last few phones means it'll take me a little time for me to get used to the volume and power button being on the back of the case. I find myself trying to push the power button and volume rockers that were previously on the top and side of the phone.

Overall the build quality of the phone is really nice. I'm happy that this phone ventured away from an all-metal back case like my HTC One M8 had. That case was super slippery so I've always used it inside a case. This phone I don't feel the need to put it in a case just yet. The back feels nice and it offers nice grip.

The size of the phone is noticeably larger than my M8 but that was to be expected. What did surprise me is that I did not notice much if any increase in weight with the V10 weighing in at 192 g (6.77 oz) and the M8 is at 160 g (5.6 oz). This might be because the M8 has a case the the V10 doesn't. With the increased size it will take a little time to adjust to positioning and holding of the phone. I don't think it'll be an issue though. LG does offer a mini-screen option which is easy to access by swiping from left to right across the virtual buttons. The mini screen is position-able and resizable. I don't know how much I'll use it but it's nice they thought of it for times when you may want to use it single-handed and if you have small hands.

The screen is very nice on the phone. Everything looks very sharp and the colors are very nice. The additional second screen at the top is interesting. I'll find it useful for a few things like music, flashlight, and notifications when the main screen is off but otherwise I'm not sure how much use I'll have with it. Only time will help me realize the usefulness of it.

The camera and 4K video recording seems very good so far with limited use. The visual quality is much-improved over the M8 and any other phone I've every owned. My understanding is the camera is the same as is included on the LG G4 so there isn't much if any changes from there except possibly software changes for managing the photo app. I don't have a G4 to compare the software there. One thing I did learn is that the V10 allows for much higher bitrate of 4K video when compared to the G4.
The 16MP rear camera now is able to record in full manual mode at 4K UHD 64Mbps on its highest bitrate setting. Unlike LG G4’s 4K recording at 30Mbps, the V10 records at more than double 64Mbps. This is the highest bitrate for 4K video recording on a smartphone so far, much higher than Note 5’s 48Mbps. -- Source

Performance-wise it seems decent. I admit I wasn't blown away or anything in terms of the processor speed and basic UI responsiveness with the snapdragon 808. This phone is definitely faster than my previous M8 but I wouldn't say it's revolutionary. I do notice some choppiness in some apps but I am unsure if that's because of the app or because of the 4K screen resolution (or both).

Speakers on the V10 are no where as good as the speakers on the M8. I don't use them often but the few times I did it was nice to have the extra clarity and volume from the M8.

I did find the inclusion of the Nova Launcher along with a couple others a nice surprise for terms of customizing the UI more to my liking. If you don't care for LG's software implementation the phone also has Nova Launcher pre-installed along with the Google Now launcher.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm a little tempted by one of these V10s. I currently have a LG flip phone (VX8600) from 2006 with texting and data turned off as part of a 4 line family plan.

Now I've heard that carriers no longer provide discounts on phones and you buy them at full price, and that the sort of family plan I have now aren't available any more either, so I have no idea how this all works or how much it would cost me. Probably too much to tempt me.

Handruin

Administrator
Did carriers ever really give a discount or was it just hidden in the monthly costs? When I switched over to the newer plan style about 2 years ago it seemed like sticker shock because the cost of the device was now transparent but once you see the monthly bill go down by $30/month and the price of the phone calculated it makes sense. This time around I did not pay for the device in full and rather decided to use the 0.0%/month plan for paying for the phone monthly to work off their money. The phone is $700 but if you decide before Nov. 15th to get the promo it feels like a better deal with the 200GB card and extra battery. With the 4K video and 16MP camera the 200GB micro sd card seems worth it. I've played around with recording some 4K video and I'm fairly impressed with it given it's a mobile phone. LG G4 owners also have the same camera so they already know this (except for the higher bitrate on the V10).

The LG V10 has a 32-bit ESS Tech Sabre DAC built in when connecting devices to the headphone jack (another thread discussing it here). That's why I wanted to consider some better IEMs in the other headphone thread. I can load on some FLAC files and have a decent portable audio device. Compared to my HTC One, the audio does sound better when played from this phone. The bluetooth integration with my car also works a lot better. The One always had some weird problems with disconnecting and not playing music. So far this phone just seems to work and respond great.

Handruin

Administrator
Small update but it looks like LG made good on their offer and I received the free battery, 200GB micro SD card, and a charging cradle for the second battery. It took about a month after getting the phone for the special offer to arrive.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Small update but it looks like LG made good on their offer and I received the free battery, 200GB micro SD card, and a charging cradle for the second battery. It took about a month after getting the phone for the special offer to arrive.

Have you noticed any audio quality differences from your previous phone? The v10 is supposed to have a serious upgrade in audio out quality.

Handruin

Administrator
Have you noticed any audio quality differences from your previous phone? The v10 is supposed to have a serious upgrade in audio out quality.

Yes, I talked about it two posts up from yours. The phone has a Sabre DAC inside and sounds really good with my Grado PS500's directly connected.

Mercutio

The LG G5 has a QHD display, removable battery (now 4000mA vs. 2800 on the G4), card reader and apparently some kind of internal expansion port. Neat.

In other news, the SD card and waterproofing are back on the Samsung GS7.

ddrueding

Fixture
One of those will be my next phone. I love the G4, but the accessories and compatibility checks available to the Samsung products is amazing.

Mercutio

Having recently taken apart an S6, all I can say is if you even think you might have to take apart your phone is don't go with the Samsung.
Rear glass should be fucking illegal.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The LG G5 has a QHD display, removable battery (now 4000mA vs. 2800 on the G4), card reader and apparently some kind of internal expansion port. Neat.

In other news, the SD card and waterproofing are back on the Samsung GS7.

Does the new Samsung have a battery this time?

LunarMist

No type-C connector, no replaceable battery. Boo.

I suppose I will buy another LG at some point if they are the only company still making phones with replaceable batteries.
I don't want type C, just the regular socket. :( I have too many damn types of cords to carry around anyway (USB 2.0 mini, USB 2.0 micro, USB 3.0 micro, USB to 3.5mm, etc.) and the weight/bulk adds up.

ddrueding

Fixture
Type-C is the new regular socket. You will live long enough to have to make at least one more switch. This is also the first new connector of all the ones you listed that has an actual advantage; it is fully reversible. It can also handle more power and faster data while in theory being more durable and being rated for more insertions, but the only part I care about is being reversible.

LunarMist

Are people so blind or something not to be able to see the cords? :(
So I should cancel my 1DX II?

6530585248.jpg

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'll probably get the LG G5 when my contract expires in July. My LG G3 just got the Android 6.0 update last week. I don't think Samsung ever supported their devices that long.

ddrueding

Fixture
My G4 got the same update at the same time. Interesting.

The 1DX II is a fun looking camera, but I'd be using the network connection over the others.

Stereodude

Not really a
My G4 (T-Mobile) still has 5.x. It's working fine for me. I feel no compulsion to run out and replace it with a G5.

Handruin

Administrator
My LG V10 still has 5.1. Funny how earlier LG phones got the Android update before their most-recent phone...sigh.

Handruin

Administrator
Rumor is that the delay with the 6.x upgrade is due to the V10 having the second screen on top and this has caused development delays.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
T-Mobile says Marshmallow is available for the G4, but I haven't seen an update for it yet.

Have you gone in and manually checked? I've also had to clear a cache from one of the system libraries before to get an update to show up.

LunarMist

Did you update the G4's OS? I fear than mine has received the update due to the huge data usage compared to previous months. It wants to update something, but I keep clearing that notice.
The phone is working fine, so I don't want to screw it up.

Stereodude

Not really a
Did you update the G4's OS? I fear than mine has received the update due to the huge data usage compared to previous months. It wants to update something, but I keep clearing that notice.
The phone is working fine, so I don't want to screw it up.
Yes, it seems exactly the same as before. I'm not sure what the point was.