Justified?

Is our resident alien Pradeep justified in calling in sick Monday to inspect and adjust his new 47&q

• Definitely!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear a skirt and pantyhose so I say no way!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Is our resident alien Pradeep justified in calling in sick Monday to inspect and adjust his new 47" HDTV?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I hope that it was Tea who voted "no" and not one of "the guys". The thought of Tea wearing pantyhose is scary enough. :eek:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Bill, considering what we are in proximity, what's the big deal :?: :wink:

s

Handruin

Administrator
ddrueding said:
What if I wear pantyhose, but still want Pradeep to enjoy his new toy?
"Definitely" still applies...just keep the other part a secret. :dwarf:

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
Then again, maybe there are more females that frequent this forum than expected. :wink:

And what about those of us that don't wear pantyhose but feel Pradeep shouldn't call in sick? Rather stuck in No-Man's-Land, no?

(I must admit that I took off from work early to take delivery of my 27" HDTV, but we have flexible hours and I just made up the time later. :D)

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mickey said:
And what about those of us that don't wear pantyhose but feel Pradeep shouldn't call in sick? Rather stuck in No-Man's-Land, no?
Exactly. :D

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi said:
I just telecommute when I'm expecting deliveries. Call forwarding and VPNs can be wonderful things.

I have VPN capability but productivity is not high over dial up speeds.

P.S. You guys are nuts :mrgrn:

Del is scheduled for between 1 and 3, I have to leave at 2.45. So hopefully I'll be here for the arrival of my new baby.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Pradeep is perfectly justified in taking a day off. Our jobs are not our lives (well, not most people, anyway)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd say, if you expect to not go to work but want to get paid, use a vacation day. I don't think it is right to lie to your employer about being sick (especially if you get paid for sick days, like I do). If you don't have vacation time, ask for a day off without pay for 'personal' reasons.

We don't have a specified amount of sick days at my work. Why? Because we found that if somebody had (let's say) 12 sick days per year allotted to them, they miraculously got sick exactly 12 days per year. If I'm sick more than three consecutive days, I need to have a Dr's note or something to show why I'm missing so much work. Other than that, there are no real limits.

I don't remember calling in sick to work, ever, and I don't think new toys are a legitimate reason for lying to your employer about it. Guess I sound like a prude...

Clocker

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Clocker said:
Guess I sound like a prude...

If you do, count me in also. I have a technically oriented boss who's really into high-tech toys. He'd encourage me to take a day off to wait for a delivery like this.

Handruin

Administrator
This is probably the reason why my work doesn't have unlimited sick days, or ANY sick days for that matter. We're given 5 personal days... With this, if I ever want to stay home, it would be for personal reasons regardless if I'm sick. At the same time, I do use them up before the end of the year or they will be lost.

<rant>Since people come to work sick on a regular basis, I occasionally have to use them as actual sick days. </rant>

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Well rest easy, no lying was required. Delivery men arrived promptly at 1.15pm, giving me a good hour to drool before going to work. LOTR EE first disc looked great, all that detail that's impossible to see on a 25" 4:3 set. And that's just with the S-vid, haven't got the component cables yet. I'm going to let it burn in for a week or so before calibrating it. Should have got one years ago. And best of all there's a detachable shelf on top of the TV for a center channel speaker :)

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been a contractor/consultant for quite a few years, never really taken a "sick day". I've had days where I do everything by RDC and cellphone from bed, but a day without work has always been a day without pay.

Congrats on the TV, BTW.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
BTW, saw a news report yesterday that said the prices on plasma sets should be halving themselves over the next year as supply and demand are finally getting in sync. Not that this was really news to me. Prices on this kind of gear has been steadily falling for some time now.

Personally, when the need arises I'll go for a 50+" on-wall LCD/plasma type set or a ceiling-mounted projector. I'd like the projector but it would mean losing the ceiling fan in the family room so the on-wall set is what I'll likely wind up with. Better WAF with the on-wall.

The time to buy hasn't come yet. I still find image quality on most plasma sets to be somewhat lacking, although this may be due to source material. And I'll likely upgrade the speakers in the HT before getting the new set. But any move to upgrade is a year or more off unless something breaks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'd just like to point out that:

1.) LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) is going to hit the market in a very big way in the near future. Intel is throwing a lot of R&D into it, and that can only be a good thing for ALL the different screens on the market.

2.) Unlike a projection TV, I can watch my DLP set during the day with curtains open. That's also true of Plasma of course, but my DLP set was half what the Plasma version would've cost.