I have an admission to make...

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tannin and I drift into and out of the habit. We hang around for a few weeks and post a bit, then we just lurk for a while, then we don't bother at all for a while. Then one day, for no particular reason, we get the urge again and post four or five times a day again for a few weeks before we get bored and drift away again. Just now we are having a no-visit phase. Haven't been there for several weeks.

Largely, this has to do with priorities. Work, social life, reading books, Storage Forum and possibly even sleep all usually have a higher priority than SR, which in turn usually has a higher priority than several other forums I visit from time to time.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Same sh*t, different pile, as they say. :)

SF is a little more close-knit, as people tend to know each other better.

Sometimes there are decent threads on one forum that are not on the other, so it may pay to do a quick scan of SR's board every now and then just in case.

Then again, some threads just are not representative of their titles, as we have proven many times before on SR. We have also carried on the tradition here at SF with the most recent example being the "what do we all look like?" thread turning into a discussion on dual CPU setups :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The best thing to do is to wander over to look to see who is post and who is staying online.

That and I always look for support questions to answer. Piyono and Bikeman always have interesting questions. :)

I hit 1000 posts there two weeks ago. No one noticed, which said to me that not enough of the one-time regulars have been passing through to bother with the traditional 1000 post topic.

Mercutio

That's not the point. I really don't care about post counts (yes, I post a lot. I have lots of free time. Even when I'm working), except insofar as the fact that part of the culture of SR either vanished or stopped paying attention.

At least most of the newbies remain fairly civil. In that respect SR is much better than some forums I've been to.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Congrats nevertheless Merc!!!

I'm sorry to hear no one noticed. The friendliness and people paying attention to others was part of why I in the first place stayed at SR.

cas

Learning Storage Performance
James said:
I no longer even visit SR's forums. Am I missing much?
There are bright posters like Sivar on StorageReview, who are not members here.

Because of its more public nature, SR also has a number of knowledgable posters who drop in on occasion like honold, Proteus, and the developers of TotalCopy.

Of course, it also has hordes of newbies, and a much lower SNR.

My SR:SF post ratio is about 15:1, which probably contibutes to SF's higher SNR ;)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I still visit a couple times a week, but all the posts in the Computer forum just seem like they should be in Tech Support (Which no longer exists) The marketplace is utterly useless now that replies aren't allowed. And the B&G over there doesn't really get all that much traffic, compared with over here.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Storage Rewho? .. Oh yeah, that. Haven't been there since April or so when I needed to compare a couple of drives. Haven't touched the forums since probably February or March. No real plans on going there either. No time & even less desire.

- Fushigi

Handruin

Administrator
Before all the major events at SR, I was visiting countless times per day. Now I may stop by 1-2 times a week. I've thought about their money situation from the past, and I sometimes wonder if they had done some precations before they got soo deep in the money pit, that they wouldn't have been forced into a position to call it quits. Weren't they spending 1000's per month on 2 dedicated servers? I don't know actual their user statistics, but I think they could have survived with possibly 1 server saving them a good chuck of change. They also funded a counter-strike server which I used, but could have done without if it meant the survival of SR. Then they purchased the temperature equipment and I think audio monitoring equipment.

I just wonder if something else went down that none (or very few) of us know about.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I come here first and then go over to SR. I post when I have something to post. I mostly look in the computers section for questions to answer but the questions tend to be so basic these days I figure there are at least 10 newbies who could answer it. I might poke my head in to correct any mistakes.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I still visit SR maybe ten times a week on average, but here is definately my first stop. It's sad for E&D, but I no longer feel at home at SR as much as I do here. I mostly post there (rarely though) more by duty than by anything else. Duty because I feel this web site has helped me a lot in the past by creating a great community (whicch is mostly here nowadays) and provided great reviews too. A significant part of my computer knowledge comes from SR, mostly from the forum but also from the articles.

I hope they will survive and that I'll find more interest in their forum in the future, although I think I'll always be here more than there from now on.

P.S Damn! A conjunctivitis is painful. Trully aweful, don't try this at home. I did, not recommended. Wish I could unplug the damn nerve responsible for that pain until it heals.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
conjunctivitis is more annoying that painful, at least that's how it affected me. I just wanted to keep itching it but I knew that I shouldn't.

Did you get it in both eyes or only one? Get some Opcon A it helps with the redness and makes it itch a lot less.

simonstre

What is this storage?
A conjunctivitis can be severe enough to blind an eye. I have at least 2 per year, and they vary in intensity. The worsts are coming in August... they can make one of my eye so buffy that I can't open it. Believe me, this kind of conjunctivitis is VERY painful.

- The Allergical Man.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I stopped visiting SR a long time ago. Once in a great while I'd stop in and post. For some reason, Eugene won't even return my e-mail so I guess I'm done with SR for good.

C

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
timwhit said:
conjunctivitis is more annoying that painful, at least that's how it affected me. I just wanted to keep itching it but I knew that I shouldn't.

Did you get it in both eyes or only one? Get some Opcon A it helps with the redness and makes it itch a lot less.
Only in one eye, but it was enough, thanks. Annoying yes, but painful too as I couldn't let my eye open at all. Now I'm feeling better.

Wow, if even Clocker doesn't visit SR anymore, it's not good news for them. I've always saw you as one of the most enthousiastic SR fanboy in the past, so if you leave them, there'll only be Sean and PW left in that category. Glad you're here thought.

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
I stopped visiting SR a long time ago. Once in a great while I'd stop in and post. For some reason, Eugene won't even return my e-mail so I guess I'm done with SR for good.

C

I have to say the same thing. I've written to Eugene several times, and he rarely (twice I think) returns an e-mail to me. Another issue I had was that I didn't even receive a thanks for the 3 times I donated money. I know this was discussed before and a few thought it was silly, but I have different values. If someone donates to your cause, I feel it is worth the 10 seconds to kick of a message that says thanks. I would have sent more, but I get the impression they don't need it...no one from SR has said otherwise to me. Just my $.02

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't understand the guy. His aloofness does not help his cause one iota.

But then I also don't understand what he's doing with his days. Maybe he doesn't have drives to review, but the message board hardly gets touched as well. On the strength of these indicators alone, I suspect SR's in trouble.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
By the advertisements at Storage Review, it is obvious that Eugene is getting help from Seagate. Let's see how this affects Eugene's entire project.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
Clocker said:

C

I have to say the same thing. I've written to Eugene several times, and he rarely (twice I think) returns an e-mail to me. Another issue I had was that I didn't even receive a thanks for the 3 times I donated money. I know this was discussed before and a few thought it was silly, but I have different values. If someone donates to your cause, I feel it is worth the 10 seconds to kick of a message that says thanks. I would have sent more, but I get the impression they don't need it...no one from SR has said otherwise to me. Just my $.02

I agree, Handruin. I threw $55 in the SR donation jar and never received a thank-you. Sure, a 'thanks' note was posted somewhere on the front page at some point, but I never received any type of e-mail message or anything like that. I'm sure there were not so many donation jar contributors that a personal thank you could not have been sent.

Late last year, I traded several e-mails with an SR regular that was an attempt to open my eyes to some of the 'issues' with SR management. Now my eyes are opened. What a pitty. I thought Eugene and I had a nice little friendship going. We chatted on ICQ relatively frequently more than e-mail. He hasen't acknowledged my ICQ messages (I sent several a while back) either.

Davin is a different story IMO. Although it has been a while, we still occasionally communicate. He sure as hell has help me out on several occasions and I think I can count on him in the future. I hope he is doing well. Maybe my SR donation wasn't a waste after all...

C

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
Handruin said:
Clocker said:

C

I agree, Handruin. I threw $55 in the SR donation jar and never received a thank-you. Sure, a 'thanks' note was posted somewhere on the front page at some point, but I never received any type of e-mail message or anything like that. I'm sure there were not so many donation jar contributors that a personal thank you could not have been sent.

Late last year, I traded several e-mails with an SR regular that was an attempt to open my eyes to some of the 'issues' with SR management. Now my eyes are opened. What a pitty. I thought Eugene and I had a nice little friendship going. We chatted on ICQ relatively frequently more than e-mail. He hasen't acknowledged my ICQ messages (I sent several a while back) either.

Davin is a different story IMO. Although it has been a while, we still occasionally communicate. He sure as hell has help me out on several occasions and I think I can count on him in the future. I hope he is doing well. Maybe my SR donation wasn't a waste after all...

C

I might have been more of a sucker, I donated $150 total. :-? While SF was begining, I had a few chats with Davin on ICQ. For the last few months we haven't spoken. I sometimes wonder if anyone is home at SR. Davin is probably onto other adventures in his life. My understanding is that he is part time at SR and now has a job somewhere?

I also never heard back from Eugene on those product of the year logos. At least he could have told me they sucked and didn't want to use them.

If anyone is curious, they are still in the same location on SF (which was handruin.com at the time)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Those logos are excellent Handruin. How did you get good at Photoshop like that. I'd like to be able to do stuff that nice. I play with 'Elements' but the shapes and stuff you create are cool!

C

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
Those logos are excellent Handruin. How did you get good at Photoshop like that. I'd like to be able to do stuff that nice. I play with 'Elements' but the shapes and stuff you create are cool!

C

Thanks for the encouragement. I know my way around photoshop, but I still have a lot to learn. When I look at my work, and then see what others have done, I feel like my designs are pathetic. :) I've been trying to figure out photoshop since version 3, I've done numerous searches and read plenty of ideas and also experimented with different things.

If you want I can send you my links of web design if you want to look through them. I recently been hanging out at http://www.gazaldesigns.com/forums/ There are a few people with awesome design skills on this page. I was going to ask how much it would cost for a nice SF logo. (shhh...) ;) This guy in particular has a nice logo, and a nice site:

www.CrucialLimit.com (warning, macromedia in use here)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I need to create a cool logo for my group at work...

SDDA
Structures, Durability & Dynamic Applications

I'll check that site and see if I can get some tips/ideas...

Thanks H,
C

P.S. $150... Wow! I thought I was generous!

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
I need to create a cool logo for my group at work...

SDDA
Structures, Durability & Dynamic Applications

I'll check that site and see if I can get some tips/ideas...

Thanks H,
C

P.S. $150... Wow! I thought I was generous!

If it wasn't so late here, I could try and create something for you. When do you need it by? If I make something you like, it's all yours, you can take credit. (unless it makes you millions) ;)

Check these sites for other help: (listed in no specific order of importance)

http://www.pixeljunction.com/

http://www.solardreamstudios.com/tutorials/css/

http://www.spoono.com/tutorials/photoshop/ (I found a few good tips here)

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/design/graphics/

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I gave a little more again, if it makes you feel better, guys. But I have not regretted it for a moment. Eugene and Davin brought me a great site, some wonderful friends, and several good years. Indirectly, they made this place possible. So my donation wasn't personally acknowledged, and hasn't (or may have not) saved SR? No matter. It's still cool. I got a lot from SR and even if the place were to close tommorow, I'd still be happy to think that my little contribution at least gave Eugene the chance to enjoy a well earned beer and pizza or two after his years of hard and unrewarded work. No regrets.

(Actually, if you stop to think about it, I bet that you guys feel exactly the same way.)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah. I'm just pissed at what he's doing now. If he'd at least give some type of response, I'd feel differently.

C

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tea said:
(Actually, if you stop to think about it, I bet that you guys feel exactly the same way.)

True Tony. I've sent my fair share of money to Eugene, and his contribution to the hard drive industry is unmistakable, and unrepeatable. There may be debates about his methods of benchmarking, or his business practices, but that doesn't diminish the valuable resource that he has been to us all.

BR

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin-

Don't bother. I'll do something in time. For now we have an acceptable logo created by someone else....

I want to learn it and do it.

C

Handruin

Administrator
Tea said:
I gave a little more again, if it makes you feel better, guys. But I have not regretted it for a moment. Eugene and Davin brought me a great site, some wonderful friends, and several good years. Indirectly, they made this place possible. So my donation wasn't personally acknowledged, and hasn't (or may have not) saved SR? No matter. It's still cool. I got a lot from SR and even if the place were to close tommorow, I'd still be happy to think that my little contribution at least gave Eugene the chance to enjoy a well earned beer and pizza or two after his years of hard and unrewarded work. No regrets.

In fact I do feel the same way. SR is the only site I've ever given money to. My feelings are exactly the same, in that I've learned so much, and had the chance to meet great people. In my previous post, I was sharing a feeling, and it is part selfish, I do admit. I felt as though SR should be a 2 way street sometimes, in that they wouldn't have been so great without many of you. The forum was the added touch IMHO. Yes they have their reviews, but the support from the members was my #1 reason for coming back.

I'd also like to think that there was some reward in the years of Eugene's hard work. A long time ago I sent him a message thanking SR for a great site. (Also no response) I wasn't trying to kiss butt, the site really made me happy to visit and learn, and I hoped that a nice note once in a while would make Eugene and possibly Davin, feel rewarded in a small way.

Mercutio

I gave SR $20 twice. Not so much, really. But I also pay for salon.com, $300/year to NPR, $50 a year to the classical music radio station, $100 to the local women's shelter... so $40 wasn't bad. I got a nice note the first time I donated, nothing the second time. I'm not in Eugene and Davin's circle of correspondence - Eugene asked me some questions about Linux back when I was te only advocate on SR - but nothing else. Frankly, as fantastic as the work that's been done in drive reviews at SR is, SR's forum membership contributes ENORMOUSLY to the content that's available there. If we cost more in bandwidth than we provided in ad revenue, or if the forum DIDN'T provide useful content, it should've ended a long time ago. The fact that it hasn't been is, in a way, a recognition of value.
It's very difficult on one hand to see the obvious loss to SR's forums that's evident in this thread. Now it's like my parent's house. I stop by from time to time, but I don't want to live there. SR's forums were an oasis.
The other side of that is we have enormous value here, and we've come a long way in a short time. It's great when an old-time SR regular jumps in and breathes fresh air, and better when someone completely new shows up. It's good to be small enough to appreciate both.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I got a little note when I made my donation and I contributed before we knew the ship was able to pull up. Sort of a thank you for all the work done in the past now go pay some bills.

Although I'm certainly not in a circle of regular correspondence either, I get a note whenever I point out a typo or broken link.