I had some visitors this morning...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
...before I went to work. Now I know why I like living in Michigan...

deer_1m.jpg

deer_2m.jpg

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
You can see deer in most states... There used to be a small group living in one of the parks in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup. I like wildlife as well. I occasionally have deer run past the store, heading between the Defense Langage Institute (DLI) and the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS). Both have large forrested areas, and my store is in between.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'll have to get a bow and pick one off from my bathroom window when my neighbors aren't looking. :diablo:

Handruin

Administrator
Sorry for the hijack, I'm just pokin' some fun. Glad to see you have some wilderness in your area. :)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
GRUMPSTERS :excl: :excl: :excl: Funny, but I love, and feel for animals more then I do for most, or, nearly all humans.

I'm a sick puppy...
s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
When my folks had the house in Bezerkely, and I used to drive through Tilden Park every night, I used to see some sort of wildlife every night.
Skunks with tails in the air, like they just don't care...
Racoons all the time, likewise deer...

In our front yard, we had a little pond. One night, it was 32 degrees, I had the kel-lite out, and we had racoons humping in the pond. If you want death, you should have looked at the(stop: feral cat just jumped on my lap, in the middle of typing this, and stuffed her face in mine, since I wasn't paying attention to her;-)

eyes of the male racoon,...dead? I would be in ribbons, for dinner...

In that same house, we had a creek that ran down a couple properties away. The deer, just like above, came down the creek, jumped over a couple lots, and high fences like they weren't even there, and came in to eat our crops in the yard. No problem.
We had a mother deer give birth under our porch. God, I miss that house, and living with my mother...
:cry:
She's now in a home, thanks to step dad, and not much I can do about it...
s

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
No hijack complaints here...just saying this could get very interesting! :wink:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Now that I can get my resident super sportsman hunting permit this year I will certainly be out with the bow, as well as the blackpowder and shottie. Tho I have to do a bow hunters education course which is a PITA.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Did 4 games at St. Mary's College, last night. Pulling out at about 11:30.
The person in front of me veers way out of their lane. Standing in front of me is a 4 point buck, who goes bounding off onto the soccer field...
s

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Yeah...sure you weren't. You know what comes next - soon we'll be seeing all your neighbours on the news describing how they all thought you seemed to be a quiet well mannered buck who kept to himself. Its always the quiet types.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I didn't mean to turn this into an "all about Buck" thread. :wink:

s

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
I've seen fairly impressive herds of white tail deer (10 ~ 40) almost DAILY in my neighbourhood for many years. And, this is within city limits of the 4th largest city in the USA. I've even seen a few coyotes in the daytime on rare occasions -- no doubt after the deer.

I've had deer in my yard too many times to count. I've often walked down sidewalks within a few meters of them as they grazed in weeded lots on acorns, pecans, and whatnot, without them even looking up.

Probably the most memorable deer encounter was on a windy Friday afternoon at dusk during September of 2001 or 2002, when I bicycled by a wooded area near my house where about 80 to 90 half-grown deer (not a single adult around) were all laying down taking a rest and chewing their cud. None acted paranoid as I stop to take a look at them, with some lying right up to the sidewalk. I rode back by about 20 minutes later and they were all gone -- disappeared back into the jungle.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
So was Sheriff John Brown aiming to shoot you down?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
What ? Nobody likes Bob Marley? Okay, I'll give it a go myself....Let me just make sure I'm in tune first....Me me me meeeee......Well I guess that's about right. Okay then, here we go:

<loud, several octaves off key and obliviously tone deaf>

I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy

All around in my home town
They're trying to track me down
They say they want to bring me in guilty
For the killing of a deputy
For the life of a deputy
But I say:

I shot the sheriff, but I swear it was in self-defense
I shot the sheriff, and they say it is a capital offense

Sheriff John Brown always hated me
For what I don't know
Every time that I plant a seed
He said, "Kill it before it grows"
He said, "Kill it before it grows"
I say:

Freedom came my way one day
And I started out of town
All of a sudden I see sheriff John Brown
Aiming to shoot me down
So I shot, I shot him down
I say:

Reflexes got the better of me
And what is to be must be
Every day the bucket goes to the well
But one day the bottom will drop out
Yes, one day the bottom will drop out
But I say:

I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy, oh no
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy, oh no

</loud, several octaves off key and obliviously tone deaf>

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Oh, I caught the reference easily enough. I'm old enough for that. Just didn't feel the need to comment. :)

My morning visitors usually consist of a rabbit or two. Our dog loves to chase 'em but she'll never actually catch them.

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
We freaked a little when we got the first notice that they would come at 2am to arrest him. My former step-father was a constable so I know they do actually come at 2am. Fortunately for us he isn't a big enough criminal to warrant a 2am wakeup call.

Strange thing is the sheriff didn't ask for any ID from me when I told him the guy no longer lived at my house. He just asked for my name.

I should also mention that we had to sue this former resident to get them to pay for a new roof which was in the home sale contract thing.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The Sheriff probably knew what the other bloke looked like. But tell me, they send out a notice to a criminal that they're coming to get him, ensuring he has enough time to disappear??

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
...probably some law. Or maybe they'd rather not ketch someone off guard if they think he is likely not to run and not dangerous (somebody didnt pay a ticket or missed court for example). Those that are dangerous are probably brought in swiftly and get no notice. :)

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
Well it depends on why he is being served. In this case he is just not showing up for court. It could be because all the requests to show up at court have showed up at our house and we've written return to sender - no longer at this address on all of them.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
We just had 4 doe and what I'd guess to be a two year old buck walking though this eveinng (about 8:30PM). They stuck around about 45minutes just munchin away on what they could find in the field just behind my house. They're getting to be quite regular visitors. I'll have to start throwing out some carrots for them or something. It's amazing that I can go out on my deck at about 12AM and, in the dark I can hear/see one muching away on something about 20 feet away. They don't even care I'm there...except when I shine them with my spotlight (which I don't do any more).

I just picked up a night vision spy camera on eBay so I can enjoy watching them without going outside and possibly cramping their style... I think it should work pretty good since they are generally pretty close and there is some moon light available...

C