HTPC Cases: The next wave

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Ahanix posted their new D.vine 7 on their website last week, and it may interest some.

Pictures of Silverstone's next releases, the LC11 and LC10, have been floating around for a while (almost 2 months), and have garnered some enthusiasm. Some more pics can be seen here. However, I kind of suspect that these may be subject to change given that 1) SS took them off their webpage a long time ago and 2) the pictures of the inside of the LC11 that I recently saw just don't seem to be consistent with the outside shots (i.e. drive cage placements). Some criticisms that I would level against these models (meaning your entitled to disagree from my personal tastes...this time) are that:
- I don't like the exposed 4 USB ports on either model. I would have much prefered that they placed them and the firewire and audio ports all together... on the front...behind a door.
- I wish Silverstone would end their obsession with 60mm fans in their full size ATX cases. I do, however, commend them for using 80mm fans in the pint sized LC11
- the LC11 could really do with a VFD in the top left, and the logo shifted to bottom right for balance (that is, after they hide all the external ports behind a door at the bottom left)....now that would look shveeeet.
- I don't really like the look of the LC10 - dude, what's with the square buttons? Personally, I think the LC10 is a step backwards (or maybe sideways) given the earlier LC03V design.

I'm hoping that Arisetec (also formerly known as Kanam, also known as Accent), will deliver a winner. Of the current crop of htpc cases, I think I'm warmest towards their HT-400. I'm also fond of the similar styling found on both of Ahanix's D.vine 6 SQ and D.vine 5. Yet all of the above cases have their share of problems. For example, the HT-400 has some internal design inefficiencies and other faults, some of which are nicely summarized in the conclusion to this review. These particular Ahanixs are $$ and mATX only. If your interested, a few insights on them can be garnered here for the D.vine 6 SQ and here for the D.vine 5. Given the various shortcomings and the dollars-to-stupidity ratio (or is that stupidity:dollars ?), I kind of think that the most worthwhile current canidate is the Silverstone LC03V, as reviewed here and here (minus the VFD...the only difference the V designation adds), as well as the earlier views seen here (once again sans VFD).

There are a few other "big" players too; Antec, Coolermaster, some others and perhaps even more enterantstoo. In regards to Antec, they've become exceptionally good at producing vapourware, and those htpc products that they actually have brought to market have proven to be are grossly underventilated (I, of course, don't know this firsthand, but that's what the grapevine will tell ya). Coolermaster, despite being one of the first ones in on the htpc game, have yet to really get beyond first base. All their designs seem to be repackaged same old same old. Plus, they've also had several no show cases (pardon the pun) of their own; which is fast what their their latest (and may I add, uninspiring) is turning out to be.

Anyways, as space is always at a premium and heating is always a concern in htpc cases, I'll tell ya'll one thing I would love to see implemented by someone:
Take one centrally located hole in the floor, add one cup of ducting (illustrative purposes only, as ours would sweep a complete 90 degrees...Home Depot is probably crawling with such things), stir in one (gasp!) horizontally oriented drive cage, add some more ducting between the rear of the drive cage and the side of the chasis, top it off with a touch of silent 80mm type cooling, and then let it vent while using. There, I hope you enjoyed my fancy-smancy recipe. Hope all the links work.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I do note that Hauppauge, after telling me in *two* different email queries, is finally offering their PVR-250 in a half-height PCI card.

That makes finding a decent HTPC case about a billion times easier.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm seriously considering building my next system based on one of those Antec Aria cases. But, if I end up putting this thing on my desktop, I'll need to make sure it is very quiet. Also, I need more than just a couple USB ports out back. Getting a new monitor with a USB hub in it (current 19" is over 5 years old) might help alleviate that problem..

C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I like cases that blend in with my home theater rack. Shoeboxes don't cut it in that regard, and they really don't support enough drives IMO to make a decent stab at being long-term video storage (note to amateurs: 500GB only sounds like a lot until you get used to having that much).

The HT400 is easily my favorite of the CityK's as well. I tried a $$$ Silverstone case and really didn't care for it - it was too $%^%$ing loud.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
CityK said:
LC11 seems interesting... I'd remove the USB ports though (or put them under a flap as mentioned), and put a detachable 5,25" cover, with the options of bare cover/5,25" CD/DVD (like Lian-Li)/VFD mount.

Personally I feel that there is little need for a CD/DVD drive in a pure HTPC. Most HTPC cases would look very different if the manufacturers wouldn't need to make room for a 5,25" device. Even a slim drive would change things a lot.

For me, HTPC would be more or less a DVR/video player/MP3(=audio) player. I'd like it to be small (some HTPC cases have more depth than width), pro looking (no damned USB etc. ports) and very quiet.

Cheers,

Jan

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mercutio said:
I do note that Hauppauge, after telling me in *two* different email queries, is finally offering their PVR-250 in a half-height PCI card.

That makes finding a decent HTPC case about a billion times easier.
That's the "Baldwin" or "model 30xx" of the 250 for MCE. I didn't think it was available from Hauppage yet. Thought you still needed to beg them or get it via an OEM.

clocker said:
I'm seriously considering building my next system based on one of those Antec Aria cases.
I was initially very intrigued by the Aria, but when it came out I kind of soured on it. I think it needs a lot of reworking. Hopefully they (whomever makes it for Antec) will improve upon the concept and release a newer model.

Another hurdle, however, remains the dissapointing selection of mATX boards....really a dearth there IMO.

Also, I need more than just a couple USB ports out back. Getting a new monitor with a USB hub in it (current 19" is over 5 years old) might help alleviate that problem..
I actually like the fact that I have a hub on my monitor....didn't think I would ever use it, but as it turns out, I have on a couple of occassions. Its convinent and a nice touch/bonus.

Jan Kivar said:
put a detachable 5,25" cover, with the options of bare cover/5,25" CD/DVD (like Lian-Li)/VFD mount.
That's a good idea.

Personally I feel that there is little need for a CD/DVD drive in a pure HTPC.... For me, HTPC would be more or less a DVR/video player/MP3(=audio) player. I'd like it to be small (some HTPC cases have more depth than width)
I imagine many people would want something similar. But, at the same time, there are many who want a HTPC for the DVD playback. In regards to size, I appreciate a smaller case too, but given thermal and expansion needs, I don't mind the larger cases as long as they don't (heightwise) dwarf your typical A/V reciever. Anything over 17 inches in depth I start to frown upon too.

Most HTPC cases would look very different if the manufacturers wouldn't need to make room for a 5,25" device. Even a slim drive would change things a lot.
Don't forget the 3.5" form factor for HDDs. Just think of the possibilities if opticals were shrunk to say 3.5 and HDDs to Savio size....HTPC and SFF imaginations abound!

pro looking (no damned USB etc. ports)
That's why I'd want a cover flap....but by the same token, just look at how many A/V receivers have exposed composite ports (Yuk!)

and very quiet
Can't agree more with that one!!

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
CityK said:
pro looking (no damned USB etc. ports)
That's why I'd want a cover flap....but by the same token, just look at how many A/V receivers have exposed composite ports (Yuk!)
Yea, but a regular receiver has so many buttons and dials/knobs that the RCA/S-video connectors seem to blend in.

A two-part computer would be nice: Front-end part, with the tuner(s) and A/V connections; and the back-end part with the drives in. The front-end would be diskless, booted from network (most likely the back-end unit being a TFTP/BOOTP/DHCP/storage server).

As mentioned, CoolerMaster has also a new line for the desktop; Cavalier 2/4. With or without the tacky analog VU meter... 8)

Cheers,

Jan

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I want three things that don't currently occur on SFF cases.

I want a balanced retractible handle: One that does not interfere with its flatness either on top; sides; or front; sticking out the rear is ok. One of the great benefits of a SFF is it's portability. Lets use that!

A docking station - For that matter it would not be unreasonable to have something like a docking stations like they do for laptops. Emphasize the portability.

I want the ability to stack them without fear of them all falling down. some form of interlocking system would be good: Something like feet that match depressions in the tops.

This emphisis on portability means other basic design characteristics need to change too. Some shock mounting!!! Exterior materials that can tolerate some denting/scratching and still look OK and of course still remain totally functional. All ports need to behind doors/flaps to keep debrie from entering and bumps from damaging them.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Sorry about the above post: For some reason, I thought you were talking about SFF and not HTPC: A totaaly different market.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Silverstone is showcasing some new enclosures. You can even use the LC15 to tell time....but only if its a sunny day.