Hello.

James Kein

What is this storage?
Hey.. I am wondering how to go about advertising or letting people know about this system I am selling...

I have an older PC.. an OmniTech... running Windows 98, however I can put Windows 98 SE on it, or even 95b if someone wants...

I origonally perchaced it at a pawn shop in Fond du Lac Wisconsin.. they wanted 200 for it, but I got it for 130 dollars. Since then I have upgraded it lots. It's origonal specs are as follows:

/24 Megs of RAM (EDO)
/2Gig HD
/standard Floppy
/Standard CD-ROM 1x
/the BIOS are Pheonix
/it came with a 28.8K Modem
/also has a Video Card, not sure what type, but it goes:
-640 x 480 up to 32bit
-800 x 600 up to 32bit
-1024 x 768 up to 16 bit
-1152 x 864 up to 256 colors
-and 1280 x 1024 up to 256 colors
/also a Yamaha Sound card (in MoBo)

now has

/24 Megs of RAM (EDO), HOWEVER - if I am paid in advance I would be happy to upgrade the RAM to 64megs... but obviously I'd need the money to do so first...
/30 Gig HD
/standard Floppy
/Standard CD-ROM 1x
/the BIOS are Pheonix
/a LinkSys eithernet network card (10/100), but I can also put the 28.8K modem back in
/also has a Video Card, not sure what type, but it goes:
-640 x 480 up to 32bit
-800 x 600 up to 32bit
-1024 x 768 up to 16 bit
-1152 x 864 up to 256 colors
-and 1280 x 1024 up to 256 colors
/also a Yamaha Sound card (in MoBo)

I'd do a clean install of windows and put on some cool programs... upgrade to the latest ver of IE6, put on Winamp, add on Jezzball and even a DOS ver of Frogger.. also I'd preinstall MSN IM, AOL IM, ICQ and Y! IM... ummm.... and I'd leave on all the cool sci-fy type backgrounds and strange yet cool BGs... that type of stuff... and I'd run windows update before selling it also... ;)
oh, and I'd also be able to partition it however they wanted with my disk patitioner... and if they are in the area I am I'd be willing to give free support and mantinance on it :mrgrn:

so how do I sell it?

I was thinking about 300 dollars because of all the stuff I have done to it... I fixed it lots.. the Floppy drive that's in it now is a diff one b/c the old one bit the dust...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It would be interesting to know what's the CPU/motherboard chipset. I'm certainly not in to buy it. I ask simply out of curiosity.

Sol

Storage is cool
James Kein said:
I'd...put on some cool programs... MSN IM, AOL IM, ICQ and Y!

Firstly I'd advise against putting any software on it that is not entirly nessasary. Those system specs are quite low and all the software you describe would make it run woefully slow.

James Kein said:
I was thinking about 300 dollars because of all the stuff I have done to it...

Sadly what you have done to it makes little difference to the final price, only what you have to sell. And unfortunatly what you have has a market value of quite a bit less than $300.
The Hard drive is probably of some value being presumably quite a recent addition, other than that however, there isn't much to recomend it. A 266 is to slow to run much more than basic wordprocessing type applications and even then only older versions at reasonable speeds.

The most likely buyer may fall in to two categories, an elderly person who knows nothing about computers but wants to type up their social club newsletters or somone after a box to turn into a firewall or ftp server.
The system might apeal to a family after a cheep PC but thier needs would likly out grow it before too long, with kids wanting to play games etc.

In any case the 30GB HD seems to be overkill for the system and maybe you'd do better trying to sell the machine with its original 2GB and sell the 30 seperatly.

As for the sale itself I would look to advertise in a local paper. Somtimes you can get free clasified adds on a cirtain day or under a cirtain amount. A local sale is to be prefered obvoisly as it would be more expensive to send the box than is likly to be worth your while.

Of course I could be entirly mistaken as I have little idea of the value of things in the US, but I suspect that most of what I have said will hold true.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I think you'd get more $ if you sold that system in parts. You can get a much newer decent celeron system for close to $300 so you're asking way too much IMO. Especially for a used system.