great hosting deal...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i got this on wednesday

Hi Blake A Hudson,

We have now completed the move to our servers in the new data centre, the data centre is based in
Atlanta, US. The new servers have Quad (4) Intel Pentium 4 XEONS 3.0GHz, running 2gb of RAM and
scsi raid harddrives.

Connections to the new servers at the data centre are much improved from our old data centre, so speed
will improve.

The new details you will need to make a note of...

Server Name. ZEUS
Server IP: 63.247.74.131

Access CPANEL via http://www.anime-jennie.com/cpanel
WebMail via http://www.anime-jennie.com/webmail

The DNS propogation is taking place, it will take upto 24 hours to complete this stage, their will be
no downtime in the switchover for DNS, but please refrain from updating your website during this
period as you maybe updating the old site on the old servers.

If you have an issue with POP3 authentication when attempting to download, simply change the password
and it will sort itself out, this problem rarely crops up.

Regards

Shaun Anderson
xcensus solutions

Handruin

Administrator
Sounds like a very expensive machine. :eek: How many clients will they put on that server?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
maybe I can ask them. I believe the old machine was a single p4 with a decent amount of RAM, and 8MB cache ATA disks. This is definately an upgrade.

The larger images on my site load instantly for me... so I'm pleased.

Handruin

Administrator
That kind of machine sounds like a consolodation effort. I'll take a look at how many people are on our server...I think it's close to 100 and we are a dual PIII 933MHz with 1GB ram.

A quad 3GHz is crazy-fast for a web hosting machine. I've never seen anyone offer that, most are dual Xeon's. Rachshack has dual xeon 2GHz for $259 per month. I can only image what that box must cost.

I can see why they named that machine zeus.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I worked on a "Zeus" today. It was a dual Xeon 550 with 1GB RAM. I'm sure at one time it was a pretty nice machine but I was decommisioning it for a 2.8GHz dualie that I named "Cronus".

Greek gods are passe. Every once in awhile I run across the germanic pantheon or (more likely) Apostles or somesuch biblical thing. No one is ever creative. Celtic dieties, or Sumerian, US Vice Presidents, characters from Shakespeare... even Greek obscura (I use Muses then Furies and Fates, myself).

I'm still likely as not to find that someone has given servers as prosaic a name as "AcmeAcct" or worse yet "3rdFloor". Poor bastards. If we named battleships like that, no one would ever join the Navy.

Sigh.

Handruin

Administrator
At my last job, they named the servers after minerals. (emerald, topez...etc.) At my current job I'm not sure how they name the servers. In our labs we use a convention derived from the network switches or router (not sure where it comes from, but I don't think it's the DNS server). The IP address is converted into a name such as (name+last ip) losam, losan, losao.

Example is losan147 = 172.23.146.147, or losam147 = 172.23.145.147.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I used to name the print servers I managed after cats I knew / had known.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
rrcccnnn

where

rr = region (AM, EU, AP)
ccc = city (CHI for Chicago, etc.)
nnn = 3 digit number - not a part of the IP addr

Boring but does give location info easily. There are over 160 servers in AM alone.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi said:
rrcccnnn

where

rr = region (AM, EU, AP)
ccc = city (CHI for Chicago, etc.)
nnn = 3 digit number - not a part of the IP addr

Boring but does give location info easily. There are over 160 servers in AM alone.

This scheme is pretty common I think. Ours were cccaaann
Where aaa= app,exc,prt....
Overall I like it better than naming after moons or cats or ex-girlfriends.