Got a New Car....A Little Stoked

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hey Guys! I'm a bit excited today. We turned in the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT I've been driving for the past three years and bought a new vehicle. I know it isn't a Porche like most of you drive but for me this has turned out to be a great deal.

The car comes off the same W-Platform that my Pontiac GP was on except it has a unique rear suspension. Also, the interior components are much better in the Olds than in the Pontiac. Besides the great deal I got on this car, the 3.5L (215HP/230FT-LB)) DOHC V-6 got me into this car. It likes to rev a lot more smoothly & freely than the push-rod 3.8L (200HP/230FT-LB)) V-6 in my GP. It also sounds so very nice to my ears. Since it is based on the 4.0L V8 found in the Old Aurora, it also featers a steel timing chain (rather than a belt) so it never needs adjusting. Also, it can run w/o any coolant (albiet at a reduced level of performance). So I think it will be a great car and I'm excited we got it.

What I'm REALLY excited about is the deal I got on it. Here it is:

MSRP $25,600
+ TAX
- My GM Discount
$23,900

Let the Rebates Begin!!! :
-$1,500 Oldsmobile Loyalty Rebate (my wife has an Alero)
-$500 GM Loyalty (because I'm getting another GM vehicle)
-$2,000 GM Overdrive Rebate
-$1,765 Discount for Using my GM Credit Card
-$750 Bonus my Wife gets from her work for buying GM

Grand Total Out the Door: $17,385!!

PLUS: Because the Oldsmobile brand is going away, I got the 5 Year/60K Bumper-Bumper (no deductible) warranty for FREE. That would cost about $1,400 if I purchased it. Below is what my car looks like. I got the bronze mist exterior with the tan cloth interior. Since it is the GL (mid-level) just about everything except leather, sunroof & OnStar.

PhtoBeautyshot4.jpg

http://www.oldsmobile.com/intrigue/home.html

The bad part of this story: I'll be driving it on the weekends. Since I got the last new car, the Intrigue will be my beautiful weife's daily driver. I get the hand-me-down Alero (hey, at least it is paid for!!!) :)

Clocker

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Congratulations Clocker, I’m happy that you got such a nice car and such a good price. By the way, we do not all drive Porsches; some of us drive old Turbo Diesel vehicles. Getting a timing chain was a good idea, but don’t be fooled, they do require adjustment. The chain, even a double-chain configuration, will stretch after a while, but it is minimal, and as you rejoiced, much better then a belt. If the car you show is the same color as yours, I like it.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks BUck. The chain is said to last for the life of the vehicle. I'm sure they have a self-tensioning mechanism like any modern engine....

That is the same color as mine, btw.

Thanks again!

C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Porsches aren't for me anyway.

ME? I drive a Crown Vic. I love it. Amy's in a Contour... Not exactly glamor vehicles, either one.

Funny thing, Kev, I participated in three days of serious focus-group testing about end-of-lifing Oldsmobile, shortly before GM announced they were killing the line... My statement through the whole experience was that I wanted a warranty to end all warranties in exchange for buying a car I knew wouldn't be made again.

Maybe something I said contributed to the price you got on your new car. ;)

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
. .I had been test-driving some of these on occasion -- a Rickenbacker 4003 "Fireglo" model bass.

. .Then, just a few weeks ago, I finally found one that I liked a bit more than the others and drove it out the door at a usually-hard-to-get discount price.

. .Post-Christmas inventory time is the best time of the year to buy primo items that didn't sell during Christmas.

. .
Rickenbacker_4003_Fireglo.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . .Rickenbacker 4003 "Fireglo" Bass

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Sweet ride Clocker, those things are nice. And you paid what a 2 year old one would have cost.

I just bought a '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara about 3 weeks ago. It is great to drive over curbs smash through big snow piles and basically do everything that I could never do in a Mustang.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Stereo-

You're from around here. Please don't tell me you drive a Ford or DCX vehicle!! :) I'd feel bad for you... ;-)

HellDiver

Learning Storage Performance
Porsches, right. You wish! A measly Civic coupe here, and as you can see the others who posted replies insofar aren't PCA members either!

Congrats on the new wheels, mate!

Stereodude

Not really a
Clocker said:
Stereo-

You're from around here. Please don't tell me you drive a Ford or DCX vehicle!! :) I'd feel bad for you... ;-)
Nah I drive an import. I've had enough GM vehicles to last a lifetime. My Dad and uncle retired from GM and my other uncle still works for GM. There's still no love for GM in the family.

Stereodude