Folding@Home

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
G@H is dead, long live F@H!

I'm starting this thread so that all information about F@H can be gathered into one place.

Cougtek has made a team for us (Team number : 10047) and the client can be downloaded from the front page.

I've allready begun crunching with my XP1800@1633MHz.

Let's not waste cycles!

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Version 3.0 isn't available yet, download the 2.19 instead. The stats system of the client 3.0 isn't supposed to change from the client 2.19, so your work won't be lost.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I have no idea Buck, Folding@home is only a few hours less new to me than it is to you. I think both projects are about as old so the level of maturity of both should be more or less equal.

The next few days should be enough to answer your questions.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Which of the 3 fiules are you supposed to use??

CLOCKER

CougTek

Serial computer killer
The first one if you want all the graphic interface, or just the text-only console if you only care about speed (1-3% faster).

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I don't know what it is about these background apps, every time I instal one it crashes my system. Nothing crashes my system! Except Genome@home (until I disabled the United Devices one, which now runs only as a screen saver). And nor Folding@home, the graphicl version of which crashed twice running after first install. I'm not sure about the first time, but the second time it was definately not running UD as an active process.

So, I downloaded the console version. 1/4 the size too. Clever little app: it picked up my username and team from the failed graphical version and got right on to business.

Console version for me from now on.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I wish I could afford one of these to increase my F@h stats :roll: And it would be nice if RocketCalc would develop a similar cluster with Palomino (or Thoroughbred) instead of PIII. Lot of crunching power for the price though.

One thing that's sad about clusters is the power consumption (this one needs 1724W combined PSU power). Maybe a cluster of the upcoming Athlon SFF could bring the eated power down a bit (or at least the CPU power/power consumption ratio).

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
That's very good indeed...
And for the moment, Clocker is underclocked!! :p :mrgrn:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
You have to answer "no" to the question "Ask before connect to network" (during the setup).

I think Tea's machine is physically disconnected from the 'net. I think Tea wants to have a -nonet feature like in the Genome client....

Clocker

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I just looked at Statsman Genome@home page and someone needs to inform both Sol and Dozer that we have switched project. Two of my boxes are still running the Genome client, but they are fairly unproductive and won't add much to my stats. I'll install the F@h client on them soon.

I figure the same should happen to Doug's and Bartender's systems still crunching the Genome.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hmmm, having trouble with the 3b client. I't can't get any work from the servers. I'm behind a firewall, but port 80 stuff works ok.

Maybe in the next beta....:(

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Are you sure that you have entered the correct team # (10047)? Because that stats engine is quite efficient. It seems to update at least once an hour.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Confirming what Coug says. I uploaded the results and in less than half an hour I saw myself NOT in the last position... :)

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Coming out of the gate Handruin takes the lead. Bartender is running a close second. Cougtek is desperately holding onto third as Cliptin closes the gap with a steady pace. In the rear The_JoJo and Clocker race neck and neck with Prof.Wizard providing some competition for the two. P5_133XL finally gets his running legs going and approaches the pack. Sol is running behind as he stumbles out of the gate. We have a mechanical failure with gate 10 preventing Tea from starting the race.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
There is no -nonet functionality with Folding@Home I believe? Or have they fixed this with ver 3.0?

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hi everyone!

Could you all please post what kind of hardware you are running the client(s) on?

My stuff:
XP1800@1633MHz 512MB
Celeron 500MHz 128MB
P2 333@375MHz 196MB

Thanks!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Athlon Thunderbird 1400C
Athlon XP 1600+
Intel Pentium III 1.2 Ghz Tualatin

All terms, conditions, and information to change without notice.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
  • Single Pentium 3 1Ghz 133 FSB, i810E chipset, 256MB (in an old AT case!)
  • Dual Athlon XP 1700+ in a Tyan Tiger MPX S2466-4M (w/ fixed USB)

That is it for me right now.

C

CougTek

Serial computer killer
*Athlon XP 1500+ at 1.436GHz (comparable to a 1600+) on a Soltek SL-75DRV2
*Athlon classic 500MHz on an Asus K7M

Next week I'll add :
*Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz on an ECS K7S5A (this config should work, but it does)
Pentium III 733MHz on a GigaByte Apollo Pro 133A

* Note that this system is running 24/7

Handruin

Administrator
*Althon T-Bird 1.2 GHz (about 23 hours a day)
*PIII 1GHz
*PIII 1GHz
*Quad PIII Xeon 500MHz

* Denotes machine running 24x7