Folding@Home

Mars

What is this storage?
Actually - I was hardcore CS and an avid reader of SR way before the SR CS site started - I was a hardware enthusiast long before gaming took over. I have since retired the game though - I wonder how I ever found the time for it - I feel lucky now if I get a moment to catch up on my favorite hardware sites ;)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mars said:
Hi Guys - Been an SR reader for a -long- time. Never realized so many of you had migrated over here. I found your team interesting - I added an Athlon XP 2000+, a PIII 733, and a Duron 800 to your group today ;)
Wow, and they say nothing is free in this world... Thanks for your contribution. It's always nice to add new players to our team, especially when they come out from the blue like you did. Don't be shy to post in the forum too. New blood is one thing we need.

Handruin

Administrator
Mars said:
Hi Guys - Been an SR reader for a -long- time. Never realized so many of you had migrated over here. I found your team interesting - I added an Athlon XP 2000+, a PIII 733, and a Duron 800 to your group today ;)

Nice! :aok: Glad to see you stop on over Mars! Thanks for contributing to the team and I hope to see you stick around the site.

Mars

What is this storage?
Thanks for the generous welcome. I found myself eyeing one of our test servers today at work - its a two node cluster, each node driven by dual PIII 1 GHZ's, runing Win2k server in active\active configuration...

Then I remembered that long, long talk I had with my IT manager after he found SETI on them a few weeks ago ;)

simonstre

What is this storage?
Just added a P4 2.0 ghz. It's a notebook, so I can't overclock it, but at least, it crunches for us.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Good work simonstre!!!

A 2.0GHz notebook.....jeez, makes my XP1800 seem...old and slow?

Where are the times when the desktop computers ruled over the notebooks ;)

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
The JoJo said:
Good work simonstre!!!

A 2.0GHz notebook.....jeez, makes my XP1800 seem...old and slow?

Where are the times when the desktop computers ruled over the notebooks ;)

I just added a 1.8Ghz P4 at work. Oh, yeah and I got some work. :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Simonstre's notebook is awesome BTW, or so he told me. It's a Compaq 1510CA (almost like the American version 1510US, but with slight differences), with a 15" SXGA+ display, 512MB PC2100 RAM, 40GB HDD (only a 4200rpm thought), a CD-RW/DVD combo drive and a surprisingly fast Radeon 7500 32MB.

The 1510 is a great bargain these days, if someone is in the market for a laptop. It's both stiffer and lighter than Dell's current similar offerings, while cheaper than anything decent from Toshiba and IBM.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
James said:
This thread may hold the record for the longest on-topic discussion at either SR or SF.
It's probably because this thread fills the duty that should probably belong to an entire division of the froum. Besides, it's still early to talk about records. The AtC last from April 14th 2001 untill the database lost on December 29th of the same year. That's 8 months. This thread is only two months old.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
and hopefully it will continue! let me steer it back on topic then...

apolagies for dropping off in W/U production over the last week or so. i've taken the quad-cpu box out of F@H service for the moment. i need to have some load testing performed on it. it should be back in service in a few weeks.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
CougTek said:
James said:
This thread may hold the record for the longest on-topic discussion at either SR or SF.
It's probably because this thread fills the duty that should probably belong to an entire division of the froum. Besides, it's still early to talk about records. The AtC last from April 14th 2001 untill the database lost on December 29th of the same year. That's 8 months. This thread is only two months old.
It's harder to keep a thread on-topic than just going... It's great it has gone so far.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The China Thread, insofar as it was a one-size-fits-all massive giant of a thread devoted to anything and everything off-topic, never once went off-topic. Except, perhaps, when that bounder (whoever he was) started to discuss hard drive performance matters. But that was OK. It didn't last for long and there was some suggestion that even his posts were on-topic - seeing as the ultimate off-topic thread could not, by definition, itself be off-topic. I'm not sure the argument was ever settled.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(Woops! Sometimes I just don't think. Sorry. Can I make some sort of restitution by discussing my own fall from folding grace and subsequent return to a modest but still decent level of productivity?)

(If you must.)

Well, I started to get pretty discouraged a while back. The Workshop Nazis (that's you, Tannin, and your friend Kristi) took most of my machines away, and my two home machines were crippled by the intermittent web connection, not to mention the crappy Stanford servers. Add to that the tedium of walking round the much-diminished cruncher farm, plugging in a monitor here and a network cable there, stopping and restarting the multiple copies of the console client in the hope that one or another of them could upload its results and download fresh work - quite often a vain hope - and the dislocation of bloody Tannin constantly selling my crunchers and forcing me to build new ones .... Put it all together and I got discouraged.

Two things came along to change that. First, the resurgance of Team Austechinfo. No way we are letting those ... those ... those Australians get in front of us. Gods! It's bad enough having humans in front of us, let alone Australians as well.

Secondly, cable. 24-hour, reliable internet access. Whoohoo! I have almost tripled my production - and that's using a mere two machines, as compared to four before. It's only two machines at present, but although I don't think I'll get to match it with the Clockers and the JoJos of this team anytime soon, at least I'm pulling my weight again.

And what's more, we are now within spitting distance of Team MacRumours.com - a team that used to out-fold us consistently. I don't dare mess up Kristi's workshop too much as a regular thing, but if need be I can always be called on for a short burst of extra productivity. I could sneak in a week or three of running the cruncher farm again, in case of need. In fact, I was planning to do just that to stave off Team AustechInfo the other week, before you guys (I'm particularly referring to the new blood that has recently enriched this place and added extra crunchers to the team) all; came to the party.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I mistook on-topic with active, sorry.

On another subject and just to keep this thread on-topic, I have now entered the top 1000 F@H crunchers. This means I can see my progression in the java version of statsman and compare myself to others more easily. Right now, I'm the 246th fastest cruncher, worldwide, based on the weekly production. JoJo, Cliptin and Clocker are of course, slightly ahead, although I think only our venerable Cliptus is within the first 200 group.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
The JoJo said:
Clocker is about to hit 1000 work units, congratulations!!!!!

Oh wow! I didn't even notice that! I've been looking at the score instead.

Thanks!

C

SteveC

Storage is cool
I'll see if I can get my sister to add it to her laptop, however I'm not sure if she has it on long enough to finish a WU in the alotted time. Do you still get the points if it takes longer than that?

Steve

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Damm, I'm probably down to 4 computer now...

:(

Should I take the extra step and upgrade to dual...the question I've been thinking about for years. Now might be the time, as I don't upgrade as often as before.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Table sorted by week total
Table.gif

Xtreme Systems is becoming a threat. As shown on the table, they are ahead of team Austech in both week and day totals and also are beating us in day total.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Bartender said:
Thank you for the table Groltz, it certainly encourages us to do more. Regrettably, my contributions have become meager, if only I could afford a farm of fast systems.

I feel the same way. If/when I ever get called back to work I intend to build a second machine for backup and crunching FAH.

Mars

What is this storage?
Well, my Duron 800 was replaced today with a XP 1600+. which means of course my PII 266 servers gonna get replaced with... a Duron 800 ;)

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
To top things off, there were power issues in my neighborhood, so the electricity kept going off. Things are back to normal, so crunching has resumed.

When the power goes out, my cable modem, router, wireless access point, and PDC need to come up in a certain sequence, otherwise nothing works right.

Sol

Storage is cool
I'm finnaly back in crunching form, One of my house mates has also joined the team, although I don't know if he'll be on the forum at all.
I've found that the folding client doesn't effect games at all so I can run it all the time that my PC is on with no problems.

Still a pretty megre addition with only one machine not even going 24/7 but I spose every little bit counts.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
But it is a pretty powerful little machine just the same. And great that your housemate has joined us.

(By the way, Sol, that little job you are doing for Tannin, the switch arrived this morning, so you can do it anytime you want.)