Folding@Home

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That picture reminds me how much time has passed. Last time we saw a picture of Mark, he was more brownish than whitish. Same happened to me in the same period. My black hairs are scarse on my head now, while I was half-and-half last time I sent a picture of myself (not on the forum).

Anyone showed signs they recognized the project outside your online contacts when you went outside wearing the t-shirt?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I switch for a new job and a new city, but most of my stuff stays at my old place (I'm renting two locals). I don't know how much this will affect my production in the upcoming month or two, but I'm sure it will.

ddrueding

Fixture
So you use your employer's computers/electricity to fold?

My computers, my boss' electricity. I'm used to consulting, and setting up my own work environment. As such everything in my office I bought (computers, chairs, florescent tubes, acoustic panels, tools, etc).

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I meant Coug. Anyway, pretty ballsy *if* your spending their electricity without their consent.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Nope. All the computers I use to run the FAH Client are mine and are at my old location. My new job is in another city 300Km away and I stay there during the week, but return back to my old place in the week-end. If something happens during the week with my computers, it won't be fixed before the next Saturday.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
My PPD should drop some: I'm transferring a couple of GPU's to testing a new alpha project that gives no points ...

ddrueding

Fixture
My performance won't last long. I just got the check for machine "Work1"....another couple days and they'll take delivery. If we're lucky they'll want to wait until after the weekend.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Obviously, something happened with my computers and most of them stopped folding. This won't be fixed before Early Saturday. So much for filling the gap until Mark resumes his full contribution.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think it's because of new GPU units with tremendous points rewards. I've enjoyed some success too although it pales compares to yours. Only 43 members worldwide produced more points than you yesterday and only 38 teams outproduced us, as a team (we did ~1.7 million points yesterday).We've had rougher days...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Those high-scoring p8902's were never supposed to have been released and have been shut off. You should be back to relative normal shortly. Unfortunately, I never got one.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Fucking power outage. Due to a strong thunderstorm, in which there might have been a tornado, I've been out of electricity from Friday 6pm untill maybe 2:30am this morning. The internet came back less than half-an-hour ago. There are still outage every now and then, so I'll wait until later today before I restart the FAH client on all my systems.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mark doesn't show for you because he's outproducing you, so at your current beat, you would never catch him. Dave currently is the only one with a realistic chance to overtake MArk in the foreseable future. I would too, if outages and equipment failures or various incidents wouldn't plague my production.

Last edited:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
People (including you DD) have before massively outproduced me before. As long as I keep producing at what I normally do, I'm happy. I assure everyone that I do not need to be #1. DD, Coug, Handy, or whomever you are all welcome to it. All you have to do is produce more points than me. I encourage an arms race.

Handruin

Administrator
People (including you DD) have before massively outproduced me before. As long as I keep producing at what I normally do, I'm happy. I assure everyone that I do not need to be #1. DD, Coug, Handy, or whomever you are all welcome to it. All you have to do is produce more points than me. I encourage an arms race.

I hope in the next 6 months or so I'll be able to contribute more. I'm got both my main systems running 24x7 but I don't have as much graphics power as the rest of you. One of the easier things I could do is pop a graphics card in the photo editing box I just built. That should give me a small boost in PPD.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The meteo man says there will be thunderstorms today, tomorrow and Thursday here. I'll be there untill early morning hours, so I'll be able to restart my computers in case of an outage this evening. However, if there's an outage tomorrow, my production will be screwed for the entire week as I won't come back home before Friday evening. I hope the electrical grid will hold on. It didn't during the last few weeks (hence my erratic contribution).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The meteo man says there will be thunderstorms today, tomorrow and Thursday here. I'll be there untill early morning hours, so I'll be able to restart my computers in case of an outage this evening. However, if there's an outage tomorrow, my production will be screwed for the entire week as I won't come back home before Friday evening. I hope the electrical grid will hold on. It didn't during the last few weeks (hence my erratic contribution).

Are you on a work assignment during the week lately?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I work at another city during the week, but I havent moved my stuff yet so I come back during the week-end to my old place.

As a matter of fact, I lost power for a second about five minutes after posting my previous message. My sole, under-powered UPS died two weeks ago. To be safe, I would need to buy two bad ass UPS and it would cost me north of 300$. I would rather not spend that money right now, but I might have to if my computers keep shutting down during the week when I'm not there. All of them are simply plugged to power bars for the moment.

Handruin

Administrator
I work at another city during the week, but I havent moved my stuff yet so I come back during the week-end to my old place.

As a matter of fact, I lost power for a second about five minutes after posting my previous message. My sole, under-powered UPS died two weeks ago. To be safe, I would need to buy two bad ass UPS and it would cost me north of 300$. I would rather not spend that money right now, but I might have to if my computers keep shutting down during the week when I'm not there. All of them are simply plugged to power bars for the moment.

I think you can set the BIOS to have your computers turn back on after a power failure. Just setup F@H to start on boot.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I think you can set the BIOS to have your computers turn back on after a power failure. Just setup F@H to start on boot.

You also have to setup Windows to login without asking for a password (assuming GPU folding). If only SMP then you can configure it as an auto-starting service and you don't have to login.

Handruin

Administrator
You also have to setup Windows to login without asking for a password (assuming GPU folding). If only SMP then you can configure it as an auto-starting service and you don't have to login.

I was trying to help with an alternative that is a lower cost option compared with spending hundreds on one or more UPS units.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I agree with you, but he still has to know and be willing to reconfigure Windows not to use a password if he is GPU folding or reconfigure folding for service mode for any machines just CPU folding.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You can install the original Tweak UI from MS and use it to auto login with a password.
Most of the motherboards I have used have a setting called 'Last State'. This will restart the computer after a power outage.

Handruin

Administrator
You can install the original Tweak UI from MS and use it to auto login with a password.
Most of the motherboards I have used have a setting called 'Last State'. This will restart the computer after a power outage.

That's the option I was referring to, thanks Bozo. I couldn't remember what it was called in the BIOS.