Firefox 3.5 is out.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Seems OK. Memory use is down a bit. A bunch of my extensions don't work, but that just means it's time to turn off compatibility checking. I like the standards-based video. Anything is better than Flash.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Seems 10-20% faster for me. Certainly noticeable. Particularly when much of the page has been cached.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
My Comcrap connection varies so much I can't tell if it's faster on page loads or not. Rendering does seem pretty snappy, though.

Mercutio

Now there is 3.6. Will it ever reach 8 or 9?

Meh. I've been running 3.6 for a couple weeks on at least a few machines. I can see an improvement in page rendering on pages that have a bunch of scripts (Fark and CNN are both in this category), and personas are kind of fun to play with.

I don't like that new tabs are added immediately to the right of the original tabs. I like them going to the end of the tab bar.

Also they changed the name of the thing you have to turn off to disable Addon compatibility checking, which was momentarily annoying for me.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Meh. I've been running 3.6 for a couple weeks on at least a few machines. I can see an improvement in page rendering on pages that have a bunch of scripts (Fark and CNN are both in this category), and personas are kind of fun to play with.

I don't like that new tabs are added immediately to the right of the original tabs. I like them going to the end of the tab bar.

Also they changed the name of the thing you have to turn off to disable Addon compatibility checking, which was momentarily annoying for me.

^Massive bloatware, starts off @~100MB of ram usage, then quickly heads towards 200MB after 4 or so youtube tabs/windows r d/l'd.

same 'ol mem leaks like all the browsers it seems, says I have 400MB of free ram but then after so many days I get slowdowns/OS X 'beachball' spinning in FF...need to quit the browser & restart it or better yet, restart the computer to get a 'fresh' bunch of RAM...it's like the RAM is a hard drive that becomes fragmented, lol

I like the older beta of Safari 4.0 :D

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually much prefer the new tabs next to the existing. If it only did this when the new tab was opened there when right-clicking on a link, that would be fine, too.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
One idea I would like them to steal from IE is the color of the tabs, tabs that are spawned from the same pags all have the same color. Easy to group a cluster of tabs together like that.

Stereodude

Not really a
I actually much prefer the new tabs next to the existing. If it only did this when the new tab was opened there when right-clicking on a link, that would be fine, too.
Maybe I'm dense, but what's different about the tabs? They seem the same to me.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Control-T and the new tab button behave as before, but if you click a link on a page that opens a new tab (say, the link in Merc's sig), the new tab is opened adjacent to the current tab, not to the far right.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Well I see one bug in the display. Click a link to go to another page in the same tab and if the title bar is longer than the "Loading..." text, the text that was there before (the old title) is only overwritten with the "Loading..." portion; the text of the old page title after that is still visible.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Is it just me or does the memory usage SUCK now? This page is the only tab I have open and FF 3.6 is taking 664M of memory! Also now it can't keep up with my typing. It starts off fine but over the course of a day it turns into a lag/memory hog beast now.

Mercutio

Is it just me or does the memory usage SUCK now? This page is the only tab I have open and FF 3.6 is taking 664M of memory! Also now it can't keep up with my typing. It starts off fine but over the course of a day it turns into a lag/memory hog beast now.

14 open tabs, 328MB RAM used. Do you perhaps have a bunch of flash shit going on?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I had Pandora running earlier and I am sure there were some flash sites I have visited earlier in the day but as I typed that this site was the only open tab and this site is slim. Seems that when the tab closes it doesn't get released ever and just piles up over the day. I DO have the undo closed tab plugin but I have had that forever and that doesn't keep things running in some magical background anyway. Anyway I just closed it and reopened it and now down to 82M and very snappy quick again. Hmm.

Mercutio

Hm. On the other hand, Firefox is using 1.3GB of RAM on the machine I'm sitting at and I only have about 50 open tabs. That seems a touch excessive, especially since I just rebooted a couple weeks ago.

Mercutio

And after a reboot and reload of all 44 tabs, Firefox memory use jumped as high as 460MB during mass page load and dropped to 320MB once all the tabs finished loading.

So there's an issue there somewhere.

Mercutio

That's light for me. Some of my machines have had some of the same tabs open since before Firefox 2.0 was released. 80 - 100 open tabs is not atypical.

Over the holidays I went around and did what I was meaning to do with those tabs on a lot of machine so that I could actually close them. This took about two solid days.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah that is exactly what I am talking about. I only had this one tab open, this page, and it was running about 160MB. Close FF and reopen it and let it open this page and now it is only running 58MB or so.

I don't so much care about the memory usage but I notice some sites just get all slow, video has problems playing back stuttering etc. Never noticed this before.

I shut the computer off over night but now I am finding I need to close and reopen FF a couple times a day. Merc is only a little worse than I am, my desktop is filled with shortcuts to sites I want to read later, generally that is my saturday morning.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Not using it here because it is (at the moment) still incompatible with the one-and-only-utterly-essential Firefox extension, Handy Extra Stuff, without which the interface is just too horrible to contemplate. (My thanks to Merc, by the way - I'm pretty sure it was Merc, someone here anyway that recommended it to me years ago.)

Meanwhile. I'm stuck with 3.5x. No big deal. I've installed 3.6 on a heap of customer machines. It seems to go OK, still significantly slower than Opera, but that's no surprise. Running without extensions, it isn't all that far behind once open - noticable but not too much and clearly faster than IE8 - , but still takes a lot longer to start up than Opera.

And then, of course, we get to the Achillies heel of the Firefox design philosophy: you need lots of extensions to get back the important features they left out of the factory build, and this (a) takes a lot of administrative work per system, (b) must have a performance impact, and (c) presents a significant security risk. Read for yourself.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/05/malicious_firefox_extensions/

Still, I'll be upgrading my systems to 3.6 when the essential extension becomes compatible, and continuing to use Firefox for about 10% of my browsing. Why? Because although I have two better browsers (one noticeably better and the other very significantly so), it's good to stay in touch with what's on the market, and it can be very convenient to have a different browser with not too many windows/tabs open at any given time,. notably for web development work where you often want a "clean" browser that has no memory of the page you were on a few moments ago before you made the change you want to test. (For example, to close and restart Opera I might have to consider 100+ tabs, where I rarely have more than two or three Fox tabs open at any time. Or I can simulate a new, first-time visitor to my page using Firefox by doing a global delete of all the passwords and cookies and etc, and the only price is that Tea has to type in her Storage Forum password next time she comes here. If I did the same thing in Seamonkey or Opera, I'd have a heap of work to do (or else have to buggerise about with saving and restoring backup user files).

So despite my niggling dislike of Firefox - sorry, but the UI is just too dumbed-down and clunky - it continues to play a modest but useful role in the Tannin household.

I sometimes wonder if it's worth playing with Chrome, but the very brief look I had at it a while back left me feeling that it as an even more spartan UI tha Firefox, so I didn't bother.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Not using it here because it is (at the moment) still incompatible with the one-and-only-utterly-essential Firefox extension, Handy Extra Stuff, without which the interface is just too horrible to contemplate.
Is Firefox incompatible with the extension, or the extension incompatible with Firefox?

I use Mr. Tech Toolkit to force compatibility with new versions, and haven't run into trouble yet.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
btw, I think I fixed my pausing problem by using the flash uninstaller and then reinstalling it. Nuking the mozilla folder didn't fix it.

Also 3.6 appears to not be compatible with vmware2. Not really happy about that at all, using IE8 for that atm.