Computer Cases

bahngeist

What is this storage?
I have two that I acquired a couple years ago, and in general am quite satisified with the design and build quality. My impressions aren't much different from the many reviews that are available via the web. Points about the case I find worthwhile noting are:

The case is well finished and there are few sharp edges; it is reasonably quite deep, and this combined with the pull-out motherboard tray makes it a dream to work in apart from the fact that the motherboard stand-offs are easy to mangle when removing. I find that tray to be somewhat flimsy, however, but that is no great concern.

Since I have an older iteration there are no front USB or similar outlets, but I believe this has been rectified in newer versions. A good cooling feature is that the principle hard-drive enclosure sits in front of two 80 mm. intake fans; and there is a control for reducing/increasing the speed of those fans, but unfortunately you have to remove the front bezel to get to it. Installing a PS that has a downward facing fan is somewhat tricky, but no great hassle either. I don't regard the removeable plate that the PS attaches to of any particular value, but some may find it to be a good feature.

Apart from those few detractions, I wouldn't hesitate getting another one if the need arose.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Actually, since this thread has a very general title: Has anyone found anything new and wonderful in the world of cases, lately?

I've largely used the same case for the last three years, the quiet and well-constructed Compucase 6812, but I've been told by my supplier that it's been EOL'd and I won't be able to get any more very soon.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I have been using Apex G series cases, and they work very well for my needs, plus the price is very nice. However, their appearance is a bit lack-luster, and I know of some customers that would like to use something more flashy, hence my interest in the Lian Li PC60. I'm also interested in the Lian Li PC6070, but the cost is a bit prohibitive. It just occurred to me, that using the word flashy is open to interpretation. I was thinking more down the lines of: professional, formal, clean, expensive - sort of the subtle 'hey, I'm special' approach versus Thermaltake Xaser cases which literally fit the flashy description - yuk. No lan party gurus on my customer list at the moment.

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
I actually just picked up a Coolermaster Wave Master, and I am very impressed. It is pricey, but it has excellent quiet cooling, 6 3 1/4 bays, 4 5 1/2 bays, removable motherboard tray, and a lot more.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
That is a very nice looking case BooST, but as you mentioned, it also carries a heavy-weight price tag. Nonetheless, I'll keep that case on my radar screen - thanks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've worked in inexpensive Apex cases before. IIRC they usually have Allied brand PSUs, nonremovable drive trays and in several places it's possible to deform parts of the various panels and enclosures with pressure from one's index finger.

Is the G-series built to a higher standard?

ddrueding

Fixture
I can put up a word for the Antec P160 (the version without the window, TYVM). Though the front might be considerd a little flashy, the blue LEDs can be disabled quite easily, and the "fit and finnish" is A+. The case is a dream to work in and has all the things I've grown accustomed to as well as some nifty features:

Removable MoBo tray
Drive Rails for 5.25"
Independant drive trays for 3.5"
Removable rack for exposed 3.5" drives
120mm fan mounts
Aluminium construction

Plus a bunch more. The price ($100 w/o PS) is high.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Below a nice case I saw at CompUSA for $50 (no PS). Notable features:
  • (1) 120mm Exhaust fan at rear with (2) 80mm Intake fans at front
  • USB & Audio on Front at bottom (behind a litte door)
  • The ribbed section at the lower front bezel removes easily exposing the filter (no tipping of the case required to remove it)
  • Solid steel construction with a nice durable finish
  • No flimsy doors to deal with (ala Antec 3700)

If I were in the market for a case today, I'd probably buy that one because it is big, lets me choose my power supply and has a nice 120mm exhaust. Plus it seems like a good value for a solid well made case.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=300256&pfp=BROWSE

300256_f.gif

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
I've worked in inexpensive Apex cases before. IIRC they usually have Allied brand PSUs, nonremovable drive trays and in several places it's possible to deform parts of the various panels and enclosures with pressure from one's index finger.

Is the G-series built to a higher standard?

Indeed, they are better than your description, plus the 3.5" tray is removable. I also like that they provide 4 external 5.25" bays for a mid-tower. I haven't had a single PSU failure from the Apex cases I've sent out in the field for the past 3 years. The 80-mm fan that comes with these cases is horribly loud, I usually replace them with a nice Vantec Stealth case fan (inexpensive and quiet (double bearing)).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
ddrueding said:
Drive Rails for 5.25"

Ewww, drive rails are the bane of my existence. Never will I buy a case with drive rails. Is it really so hard to just screw the drive into place?

ddrueding

Fixture
timwhit said:
ddrueding said:
Drive Rails for 5.25"

Ewww, drive rails are the bane of my existence. Never will I buy a case with drive rails. Is it really so hard to just screw the drive into place?

Considering that my last migration (from an Antec Sonata to the P160) involved compatible rails, it was massively easy. Also good for doing a PS swap, or changing the master/slave config, or recabling, or any of the other things OCD people do on a semi-weekly basis :eek:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Clocker said:
Below a nice case I saw at CompUSA for $50 (no PS).
That's actually a Compucase (now under their HEC brand) 6919 in black.

I normally use the HEC 6A19:

6a19_b.jpg

Despite being shorter, it adds an extra HDD bay (4xCD+2xFDD+5xHDD) and replaces the twin 80mm intake fans with a second 120mm fan.

On the downside, you do have to lift the front very slightly to get your fingers under and unclip the filter cover. You don't get as quite a tank-like feel as you do with the 1.0mm steel of its bigger brother (but it's still a very solid and heavy case).

For the last year or more, the ones I have seen have added Firewire to the front USB and audio. Offsetting that is the fact that these ports are at the bottom of the case, which is often annoying.

Combined with front and rear 120mm fans, that huge front grill guarantees copious airflow. They're essentially 'screwless' cases with the option of locking screws in various places, i.e. hard drive cage and floppy cage slide out after flipping levers, but you can add screws for extra security. Cards are held with clamps. They supply specially designed screws that ensure the grommets on the hard drive anti-vibration mounts are not crushed.

Finally, they come in double-skinned packing boxes.

Supplied with a twin fan HEC PFC PS, they are hard to beat. Impossible at that price point.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If you look closely at these cases, they all look like Antecs. Is there one company making these cases for multiple sellers?

Bozo :mrgrn:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Antec doesn't make cases. Their products are rebadged and come from more than one manufacturer, such as Chieftec.

Compucase (HEC) manufactures cases and power supplies (in different factories).

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
That HEC 6A19 appears to be a clone of the Antec 3700 series (or vice-versa) except the HEC doesn't have the flimsy front bezel/door. Definitly a nice case!

Handruin

Administrator
I love my drive rails. It's not to say they are all great, but the two Antec cases I have work great with drive rails.

BooST

I'll look into that, I plan on getting a couple of the Supermicro hot swap SATA enclosures, and it would be great to be able to fit both of them + an internal optical drive

Thanks

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm using the Antec 3U enclosure almost exclusively, and it has room for both the Supermicro SATA hotswap on the right and a standard DVD burner on the left. This is my standard config and I've built over a dozen of them.
11-129-138-05.JPG

ddrueding

Fixture
BooST said:
I'll look into that, I plan on getting a couple of the Supermicro hot swap SATA enclosures, and it would be great to be able to fit both of them + an internal optical drive

Thanks

A couple....ahh....er....nevermind.

You want one of these.

Gilbolt

What is this storage?
ddrueding,
How well clear of the CPU cooler does that second hard drive rack stay? (The 3.5" rack attached to the center crossbeam).

Have you ever had any trouble fitting large coolers up against that with any of the motherboards you've installed?

ddrueding

Fixture
Gilbolt said:
ddrueding,
How well clear of the CPU cooler does that second hard drive rack stay? (The 3.5" rack attached to the center crossbeam).

Have you ever had any trouble fitting large coolers up against that with any of the motherboards you've installed?

Of the CPU cooler? I'm not sure I understand the question. If you are speaking of the 4U rack linked by BooST, I have no experience. The 3U version that I linked to has nothing above the motherboard tray to the top of the chassis, leaving plenty of room for every cooler I've used.

BooST

The 4U Version has plenty of room for heatsink mounting, even with the crossmember, I'll take a picture for you...

BooST

Here she is... my baby :D Notice the Hot glue on the top HDD... Stupid weak sata data connectors

[Picture converted to URL - Mod]

Gilbolt

What is this storage?
BooST,
Thanks for the photo; it's the best description possible. There's certainly tons of space.

The perspective of the shots on NewEgg gave me a significantly distorted impression of the layout. It looks that dual CPU boards would also be fine, as long as the heatsinks weren't too tall.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
OK, I hate to be the stupid one, but what are the 7 white things with thumbscrews? They look like PCI card hold-downs, except they seem to be too far toward the front of the case to be useful for any normal-sized card.

PS: Very neat looking system, Gilbolt. Nothing like the way my machines look.

BooST

LoL Tea - I think it's ugly right now, I had to un-tie down and get rid of some cabling work when I switched MoBos, and yes, the white thingys are PCI card hold downs, but I think antec made them for ONLY full length PCI cards, as you can see, it won't touch the 3ware card that is in there, however when I had the Promise Fastrax S150 SX4 in there it would hold it down nicely.