Building own Router - Advantages ?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I picked up one of these ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135364 ) for $19AR so I decided to throw it in the old Bitfenix ITX case I have for a project PC. I also threw in a spare 8gb or RAM and a 120GB SSD I already had.

Was considering making the machine a router with either Untangle or Smoothwall or something else (recommendations?). But then I started to wonder what the true advantages of building your own router really are. Would you guys recommend it or not, and why?

I saw the ArsTechnica article and they seems to only focus on speed. Speed is good but my RT-N66U is already fast enough. I'm looking for capability (obviously the homegrown router doesn't have wireless).

Thanks!

Handruin

Administrator
You may also want to consider trying pfSense as an option when building a firewall/router. That motherboard only has one NIC so you'll likely need to get another so you have a dedicated WAN and LAN ports for this project.

I looked into doing this also because I wanted more features than what typical consumer routers offer but after searching for parts and figuring out what would perform the best I decided against it and to go with Ubiquiti as a dedicated firewall & router as an appliance. I think from a learning perspective this can be useful and it may perform well but I don't know much about that AMD chip to give feedback on it's capabilities as a router.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
At home, my network runs through a VM with Untangle as the router OS. I could set up a router a whole lot of different ways and overall I don't think it makes much difference for anything I'm doing, it's just that I already had the Untangle VM set up.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought there would be more interest in this topic! I have a 2nd NIC so I will just play with whatever is easiest first and report back...

Mercutio

It's fun to play with, but at the end of the day, it's a router in a low demand environment. Unless your requirements involve complex encryption or QoS needs, probably just about everything will do what you need.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've done untangle, smoothwall, and PFSense. They all do the things that routers need to do. Unless you have a very fast connection or specific interesting needs it is likely that a standalone router will do just as well with less power consumption.

I'll be running a VM for my firewall soon, but only because the VM server will be running 24/7 anyway.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Do the DIY routers offer much with respect to control over content filtering and being able to monitor usage etc?

Mercutio

They certainly can, if that's a module you need. I've not needed to investigate. I believe Untangle has its filtering module set up as part of a subscription package, but your standard-issue OSS system can probably run Squidguard if you want a free option.