Best movie you've seen

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Battlefield LA OK to good

Kind of exactly what you would expect in a invaded by aliens in LA movie, except the aliens didn't have boob jobs.;-)

I liked it. Got into it emotionally, showing the bond developed by life threatening situations, and dealing with them as a group.

Good stuff.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Movies in recent years are almost all crap. Then we get 2 or 3 sequels, prequels or other 'quels. Hardly anything is original or for adults with decent IQs. It sucks. :tdown:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The graphics, at least bluray on small screens are truly incredible. Disney has been doing it well, and I just watched most of Dorian Grey, and that was reasonably well done, if not great.

LunarMist

That is part of the problem. I like my 1080 too, but the literally nauseating 3D, exaggerated special effects, and physics-defying nonsense is not a substitute for a great story, screenwriting, directing and acting.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Movie guys are like little kids with a new gimic/toy.

You are right, that the 3D stuff sacrifices overall depth, and quality, just to screw up your depth perception.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Drive Angry:
Makes Tarentino seem tame. Beautiful cars, Cage playing a guy back from the dead, to avenge his daughter's death. Amber Heard is good as Cage's companion, William Fichtner
steals the show as the acountant.

Enough nudity and sex to keep Mercutio happy, well, maybe not that much, but that to.
Not for the family.

Enjoyed it once, not sure if I'm rushing to watch it again anytime soon.

Sol

Storage is cool
I saw the posters for Drive Angry and just kind of assumed it would be bad but it never crossed my mind that it would be bad in a good way (Looked more Fast and Furious than Dusk 'till Dawn). William Fichtner's character reminded me of Ron Silver in the pilot of Heat Vision and Jack for some reason, which probably helped.

I didn't see it in 3D but there were a couple of bad CG moments which were obviously supposed to be great (Or maybe less crap) in 3D. They kept the numbers down though and the crappy CG can't have blown the budget so it doesn't really hurt the film too badly overall.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I enjoyed Limitless and The Adjustment Bureau (I have a thing for Emily Blunt) niether will win any Oscars but they were entertaining. The Town remians one of my favorites recently too.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I went to see Cowboys and Aliens last night. Pretty dumb movie complete with Cowboys getting abducted by Aliens & getting probed etc. Of course the guys in the white hats win in the end. Nothing really original in this film. Olivia Wilde is very nice to look at though. :)

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I went to see Cowboys and Aliens last night. Pretty dumb movie complete with Cowboys getting abducted by Aliens & getting probed etc. Of course the guys in the white hats win in the end. Nothing really original in this film. Olivia Wilde is very nice to look at though. :)

She and Beau Garrett in Tron: Legacy were absolutely stunning to look at.

Van Helsing is on TV on Sunday. Mmmmm Kate...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
X-Men First Class- Enjoyed this movie. Jennifer Lawerence was beautiful and good/bad as Mystique. While she may not get another Oscar nomination for this role, she did an excellent job of acting.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm235911680/nm2225369
January Jones is pretty stunning as the White Queen, Emma Frost.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm132955648/nm0005064
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm82624000/tt1270798

The story line is not Marvel's. Yes, Magneto's parents were killed by Nazi's. No, Shaw was not the Nazi.
http://marvel.com/universe/Shaw,_Sebastian

Charles Xavier's character was played well, and the rest of the X-men are passable, if not memorable.

The pace is excellent, moving quickly, and keeping you engaged.
The SR-71, and the Cuban Missile Crisis stuff is very well done.

Most of the plot does follow Marvel's overall end game to get the X-men and Magneto into their positions of good and bad in the universe.

Enjoyed it more then I thought I would.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just finished watching Soul Surfer.
True story about Bethany Hamilton. Ms. Hamilton lost an arm to a tiger shark, yet came back, surfed as a pro, and has towed into Jaws, some of the biggest waves on the planet.

Acting is ok. Film work is horrible. Constant cutting, failing to show any consistency. Seems like the same guys that made Big Wednesday made this.

Hollywood can't seem to manage to use a spot for a surfing event, and stay there.

Just one example:

The last contest in the movie is supposed to be at Sunset Beach.
Most of the beach shots are done at Wiamea Bay, a place I know, since I was married at the church there, and surfed the place everyday I could, for 10 years.

Most of the water shots, as inconsistent in size as they are, are at Makaha Point. I lived on the point, in the Makaha Shores for two years, and my family owned two condos there. Makaha is an excellent wave, breaking RIGHT.

The last wave of the contest by Bethany Hamilton is large, looks incredibly fake, due to the worst blue screen cgi I've ever seen in a movie. It then cuts to an actual wave that looks a bit less fake, but, is clearly Pipeline, a LEFT barrel.

The beauty of the Hawaiian Islands and the memories these places evoke are totally screwed with by the horrible cutting, and total disregard for sequence. I don't really get why they can't just shoot one contest at one place, and, stay with it.

Here is a shot of moi in some rather fun Hawaiian surf, at a place called Hammerheads:
Greg1copy.jpg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just got done watching Thor in 2D, and a regular DVD at that. MUCH better then the 20 bucks I spent to watch it in 3D.

The special effects were so bad they detracted from the story, and, a lot of stuff that was poorly focused and dark in 3D was very well done in 2D.

Looking forward to the Bluray version coming out next week...

Stereodude

Not really a
Skyline was definitely not the best movie I've seen. However, it would be quite high on my list of the worst movies I've seen.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Just got done watching Thor in 2D, and a regular DVD at that. MUCH better then the 20 bucks I spent to watch it in 3D.

The special effects were so bad they detracted from the story, and, a lot of stuff that was poorly focused and dark in 3D was very well done in 2D.

Looking forward to the Bluray version coming out next week...

If you ever end up with a 3D capable display, definitely get a hold of IMAX: The Ultimate Wave - Tahiti on 3D blu-ray. Really gets you in the wave (of course nothing beats being really inside it but not something many of us mere mortals will ever end up doing)

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I just watched Avatar (WS 2D DVD) and found it to be quite good. Yes, I know its been out for quite a while, but it was my first time.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
DB:
Thanks. It's a bad time for movies, so that was a great link. Plus, after watching Kelly Slater loose the New York ASP event today, it will be fun to see him ripping as usual.
I ordered the Bluray 3D version to see what it looks like on my setup, or if it will even play, and the DVD version.

Laird Hamilton did a movie I think it was called Towed, Or the End of the Road, or something like that. It was about his epic session in 2000 that pretty much put Tahiti, and the End of the Road on the cover of surfer magazine, and brought tow surfing to real maturity.

GS

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I just watched Avatar (WS 2D DVD) and found it to be quite good. Yes, I know its been out for quite a while, but it was my first time.

I really enjoyed it too. In fact I bought the Blue Ray set when it came out. Visually it really is amazing.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
If you ever end up with a 3D capable display, definitely get a hold of IMAX: The Ultimate Wave - Tahiti on 3D blu-ray. Really gets you in the wave (of course nothing beats being really inside it but not something many of us mere mortals will ever end up doing)

THANK YOU FOR THE CLUE.! Excellent movie. Slater is Slater, and, it looked REALLY good in 2D, thanks to Imax filming0-[=\

I don't know what happened, but, my cat did 8 situps, right before biting me, and, typing the above;-)

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Took the kids to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes. They liked it, but weren't raving about it. I thought it was very much a join the dots movie. Cliched and stereotyped. Ho-hum.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Burlesque was simply incredible. I have a weakness for female singers, and Cher and Christina Aguliera are fantastic. The first singing scene with Christina is so stunning, I could watch it over and over. Cher sings one number, and, it reminds me why she's always been one of my all time favorite singers(I probably shouldn't say that, being so close to San Francisco, but it's true;-)

X-Men First Class was better the second time, and I really enjoyed it, as well.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Took the kids to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes. They liked it, but weren't raving about it. I thought it was very much a join the dots movie. Cliched and stereotyped. Ho-hum.

I agree with you. It was better suited as a straight to DVD film then a theatrical release.

As far as I'm concerned the very first Planet of the Apes was the only one worth watching. I saw it when it first came out (Yes I'm that old!) and to this day I have a crush on Linda Harrison who played Nova - what a babe!

lhq0.jpg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm watching Christina Aguilera live, down under. Incredible concert, incredible voice. GREAT
Stuff.
Effortless voice, great range. A lot of people seem to think she's the best singer of this generation...

This DVD makes a real good case for that.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sheryl Crow video smokes!!!

Crow's video is smoking. She's beautiful, and it's about music, in HD, that looks REALLY incredible...

Sheryl Crow, Live!

Yes, and she's beautiful and her voice is incredible.

LunarMist

I agree with you. It was better suited as a straight to DVD film then a theatrical release.

As far as I'm concerned the very first Planet of the Apes was the only one worth watching. I saw it when it first came out (Yes I'm that old!) and to this day I have a crush on Linda Harrison who played Nova - what a babe!

lhq0.jpg

Same here. I saw the original in the second week back in '68 and did not know who she was, but wanted more. It was too bad that she was more of a beauty queen and model than an actor.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Watched the first part of Star Wars Phantom Menace Part I. Got through the pod racing, and, as one would expect of George Lucas, his work is simply incredible. I'm getting them slowly but surely, and viewing them.

"Thor" 2D, Bluray. So far, with my monitor set on games, the visuals are brilliant, and pretty spectacular.

I suspected the CG stuff, and animation would best be viewed in a game setting, and, it looks REALLY good, this on the 37" Vizio.

The Westinghouse 40" screen is clearly inferior to the Vizio 10 bit panel, but, when you feed it a quality Bluray, it looks pretty incredible.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
In the "I haven't watched Phantom Menace since May 19th, 1999 and did not remember how awful it was."-way.
My first comment after leaving the theater was, "I'm glad that they didn't make this one first. No one would have wanted two more."

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Indeed. I'm glad that I have the original version, but I'm less because it's on cassettes and I no longer have any VHS player.

LunarMist

I thought most Lucas products were heavy handed and ludicrous, geared toward adolescents or those with arrested development.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My friend has the laserdisk versions but hasn't found a good way to rip them. Meanwhile there is an underground movement remastering the movies themselves that look more than just promising.