Best movie you've seen

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just watched half of Casablanca, remastered in Bluray. Only makes Bergman look more beautiful, if that's possible.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How old do you think I was when the first one has been released (in 1977)? Only the first three movies were good.

I don't know for sure, but I assumed we were about the same. Technically I would have been included in the target demographic, but in the mid-late 70s I was much more interested in foreign films or something more intellectual.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Das Boot is easily the gold standard, but Morning Departure made an even greater impression on me. It's based on a stage play, so it's a dramatic situation that relies on great acting and dialog rather than action. And being British, the heroes don't get to ride off into the sunset, so its ratings on IMDB don't reflect the quality at all.

Ultimately, it's a living nightmare that most people won't be comfortable watching.

LunarMist

Thanks. I've accumulated a small pile of the Blue discs, but I never get around to playing them. Only the TV in the living room is 10800 and has the BR player connected.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just got done watching Colombiana(take off on Polyanna?) Zoe Saldana reminds me of an old girlfriend I took to Jamaica. Sand to the beach.

That said, I enjoyed the movie. Not high budget, but, I'm running out of movies to rent from Blockbuster.

Great footage of Colombia on the flyby.

Zoe does an excellent job, and, the plot is well put together.

I really like the way they treat the CIA, FBI, and how a pompeous ass from the CIA can
become a scared little bitch, with the threat of death.

In short, it encapsules why the 2nd amendment is an important part of the balance in
the American Constitution.;

LunarMist

Get a grip They are actors and it is a script, marketed toward the 18-25 YOs. Most of the FBI agents I've known are rather boring people and highly trained. Nobody would watch that stuff for 5 minuters in real life without walking out. :zzz:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Whatever. It's a movie. I enjoyed it. I could care less if you know FBI agents, or if they would walk out. It brought up some issues that I find timely.

Out of control Federal agencies, or politicians come to mind...or Caltrans.

LunarMist

No, I meant that the moviegoers would leave the theater because reality is so boring.

I was looking at the movies recently and there is not a thing I want to go see, at least not locally. :(

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sorry about that.

I suspect the criminals are the non-boring part. Focusing on the crime is the fun part.
Only a couple times in a year did anything crazy happen AFTER the suspect was caught in SF.

Also, the Federal Judicial system is usually a plea bargain, with little court time.

I will say that city plea bargains were much more exciting then the Federal ones.

Federal prosecutors, and judges tend to be on the lines of,

"Take it, or we win at trial, and we'll get you big time."

The meetings in chambers are where most of the real action is.

The other fun part would be trying to do a movie about the private lives of the judges,
prosecutors, DA's, in the court process. Sort of a Law & Order, but, with the focus on the officers, prosecutors, and judges REAL lives. The court members I've known actually are MORE intresting then even Law & Order shows them to be.

Leader of guns, drugs, and gangs referees' basketball games.

One sarge in SF was dating a DA, and, the DA was going through a divorce. The side games of the DA trying to get money from her crooked, rich husband would have been worth the price of admission.

I'd like to know the history of the entrapment oriental fox they used for trapping johns.

Girl came into court one morning, in skin tight everything, and was in fantastic shape,
read breast model HUGE shape. Drop dead gorgeous. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any oriental girl that even approaches her, in 10 years. She alone would be worth a series.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just watched Condition Black

It's about the probably biggest swell to hit Oahu in 100 years. Hit on my birthday, 1/28,

It was a freak, since it was filmed by imax, and featured in the movie, Extreme, also super worth watching.

My friends at the time, Dan Moore and Ken Bradshaw are featured, along with Noah Johnson, who I watched grow up, and, Brian K. is featured as well, the best Hawaiian
I've ever known.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'd like to know the history of the entrapment oriental fox they used for trapping johns.

Girl came into court one morning, in skin tight everything, and was in fantastic shape, read breast model HUGE shape. Drop dead gorgeous. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any oriental girl that even approaches her, in 10 years. She alone would be worth a series.

OK now I'm intrigued and MUST know more. What character from what movie.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
This was real life. I worked/interned in the San Francisco DA's office, and in the court, for one year.
One morning I was appearing for my attorney, who was late to work, and an incredible
fox walked through the court, attired in skin tight, black, stretch clothing, top and bottom, leotards or some sort of work out clothing. Not suitable for court, she was informing the clerk she was present, but just got off work, and to please tell the judge it would take awhile for her to change, upstairs.

I've never paid for sex, but, seeing her on a street corner, attired like that, defines entrapment. I've never seen a streetwalker that looked anything close to that.

Heck, in 10 years, I haven't seen a women in person, with breasts that large, and such a perfect body, and beautiful face.

The DA's office is in the same building as the jail, courts, and, the fifth floor has an incredible workout room. It was pretty obvious this woman was seriously training, and either had breast implants, very large ones, or was a very unusual chinese/asian woman. What she did to get that body in that kind of shape would be worth watching along with how she managed her life, working all night, appearing in court, and the details of her work.

She reminded me of Diane Hsu Lee, but with MUCH larger breasts.
http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8640

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I never got the chance to ask if they were fake or not. Judging by her profession, and fitness
level, I think her reaction might have given my martial arts/boxing skills a workout;-).
On the otherhand, she did have a gun and a badge. Generally not a good idea to prevoke with such questions...

Since everybody knows everybody there, and, she knew the judge, it would have not been PC
or work wise a smart question to ask.

As far as a story line, it would be fascinating to find out if they were fake or real and if she had surgery, why a police officer would have such surgery along with how it affected her career? Personal life?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm pretty sure those are real.

That wasn't the issue anyway, it was the story of how a woman looking like that, ended up working 'undercover' in vice, for the SFPD, and what would her life be like.

Handruin

Administrator
Lets take her boobs out of the picture for a moment. Is your interest level in her career-story still the same? :p

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Yes. Even without the breasts, she was an incredibly fit, beautiful woman. I can't help but wonder what the experience of being in San Francisco was like for her.

I guess you have to experience being in SF and a public service job that is determined by the whims of the San Francisco voters, and their choice of DA's that year.

I'm wondering how she ever got on the police force in the first place.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Is The Hobbit still going to be released in two parts?

Total speculation:

26 parts to be used as a serial to attract an audience for other G-rated major motion pictures. When finished with that release form, it will be re-released on TV as a weekly Saturday kids program which will be converted to total animation after the first 26 episodes.

:rofl:

Handruin

Administrator
I worry that the 48 fps will make it look like a soap opera if presented in original film rate, but I assume that once it's released on consumer DVD and Bluray, it'll have to be converted to 24 fps? What advantage is there to the increased frame rate? I know that it reduces the blurring effect during high speed takes and pans, but it seems like a complicated approach for that little benefit.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Watched "Green Lantern" the other night. It was okay. I used to read the comic books years ago.
The plot was the same as some other movie I watched a while back; some large monster hurts the hero's girl friend while destroying the earth.

Handruin

Administrator
I also watched Green Lantern over this past weekend and I felt the same as you Bozo. I was underwhelmed by the film. It was two hours long and I still felt like it was missing a bunch.

Handruin

Administrator
Handy, I suspect this may be related to futureproofing the content.

I haven't looked much into the 4K and 5K resolutions and standards that are up and coming, but is 48 fps common for that size? What is the future-proofing in adding the extra frames? Is this just to get a smoother video display?

Handruin

Administrator
I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with the faster frame rate, but I would suspect that with higher frame rate, the presentation of the picture will look more like a cheap soap opera because there will be no perceived motion blur.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I want the coffee machine from green lantern, otherwise I was meh on the rest. It was a mildly entertaining popcorn flick.

LunarMist

That is partly because people are culturally conditioned to seeing the jerky 24 FPS, 180° shutter capture from film and partly the DR and color characteristics. The latter 2 are getting better and better.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I haven't looked much into the 4K and 5K resolutions and standards that are up and coming, but is 48 fps common for that size? What is the future-proofing in adding the extra frames? Is this just to get a smoother video display?

I wasn't thinking of anything specific. More like getting the best raw footage for some as yet unknown format. Like what ever will come after 1080p.