Best movie you've seen

Handruin

Administrator
I agree, they did a great job remastering the DVD's. I also bought the trilogy and it was enjoyable. My favorite of the three is the last crusade.

I've heard many people say that Harrison Fords looks rather old these days for a 4th movie. I'll be cusious to see the outcome.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
timwhit said:
I even hear that there are plans to make an Indiana Jones 4, but I wonder how Harrison will do, he's getting kind of old.
Renamed Arthritic Jones, perhaps? Will replace his whip with pepper spray.

Regarding the last Matrix movie, well, go watch it on tuesday or wednesday nights when it cost less.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm going to a matinee today to see the movie. Even if it is bad, I'm sure it won't be as bad as some movies I've seen in my life.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
I agree, they did a great job remastering the DVD's. I also bought the trilogy and it was enjoyable. My favorite of the three is the last crusade.

I've heard many people say that Harrison Fords looks rather old these days for a 4th movie. I'll be cusious to see the outcome.

Well, movie stars are pretty good at looking a part even after a long absence. Arnold looked just as good in T3 as he did in T2 in my opinion. So, I don't see why Harrison Ford won't be able to look the part again.

And, I didn't exactly pay for the trilogy, oh the wonders of a DVD burner.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I watched Equlibrium and Ranvenous this weekend.

They were both ok and worth seeing. Ravenous was interesting from the standpoint of the central issue being so revolting. When the central plot point is that revolting it's difficult to decide if the movie is good or not.

Equilibrium was good if just for the fight scenes. Very similar to the Matrix but I thought better. Especially the final one at the end.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I saw Ravenous a couple of years ago on disc. I thought it started off really good - first half hour or so - but then it just went downhill really quick.

CK

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Has anyone else seen "Master and Commander" yet?

It's a very realistic film. A bit like "Saving Private Ryan" in that there's a lot more sense of what it was like to be in that place and time. I enjoyed it immensely on several levels.

But the main reason I ask is, I had a very hard time understanding the dialog in the movie, and I'm not sure if the reason for that is a technical problem with the theater I visited, technical incompetence by the postproduction staff or if I've utterly lost my ability to hear.

It sounded very much like the theater I was in didn't use the center channel in its Dolby Digital mix.

I also watched the Two Towers Extended Edition discs tonight. Return of the King will be here soon. I'm jumping up and down in anticipation over that one. I don't think I've been so excited about a movie since "Return of the Jedi" first came out.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I went to see "Master and Commander" last weekend. I enjoyed too. It must have been the theater you were in as I had no problem with the dialog. The battle scenes were really very well done.

Mercutio

Two words:
Bad Santa

I laughed so hard I almost passed out.

"Santa was with an unclean woman."

kinda sums up the whole thing.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
We watched the latest Matrix 2 days ago. It left me totally empty, I don't know if I liked it or not. Totally neutral feelings. Not impressed. A few nice looking scenes, but the movie didn't touch me at all.
Weird, must be the first movie ever that left me this neutral. Weird.

I watched SWAT last night. It was ok, nothing too fancy though.

B4RSK

What is this storage?
In no particular order:

Natural Born Killers (Because I feel it is true that the media sensationalizes crime.)

Scrooge (1951 adaptation of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" starring Alistair Sim. B&W version, of course!)

Good Morning Vietnam (Robin Williams is soooo good!)

Highlander (If you've never seen it, watch it at least twice before you form an opinion. Sean Connery is very good, as always.)

The Italian Job (A Mini was my first car, and I had 5 or 6 of them in total.)

Shrek (Eddie Murphy great as always!)

Top Gun (What can I say... Was 14 when it came out! Good memories I guess.)

Terminator I & II (Everyone needs a bit of violence sometimes!!)

Those are all that pop to mind at the moment...

Ian

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I watched "Bring it on" a few days ago. It's not as cheezy and stereotypical as I thought it would be. But then again it was a movie about cheerleading.

Handruin

Administrator
For the fun aspect of the movie, "Bring it on" wasn't that bad. I feel it did have a typical story, like most under-dog movies. Eliza dushku can be cute sometimes.

3.jpg

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Saw Master & Commander the other day in a cinema with a 25m (80') screen and full dolby surround sound. It used to be an IMAX setup - they pulled out the bottom few rows of seats and cut off the bottom of the screen - but it would still easily seat > 1000.

Oh yeah, the movie?

Awesome is the only appropriate word.

Never mind the acting (which was good, but I think everyone expected that); the special effects were an absolute knockout. It's a real shame that you had bum sound Merc. IMO, it should win an Oscar for this aspect hands down. The CGI was undetectable most of the time (unlike the risible recent Star Wars and countless other films with completely unbelievable SFX), and the attention to detail (real cannonball whine and real wood smashing sounds and visuals) made the film far more hair-raising than the mild rating suggested.

The trailers are quite misleading and don't do the film justice in either its impact or overall experience. This is as good as virtual reality gets, partly because the whole movie is designed as an emotional rollercoaster - and I do mean emotional, not lots of explosions. Most of the film is about life on the ship, and it's not at all "Aye! Me Hearties!".

The massive impact all this creates in the right setting means I need to see this picture again to pick up more of the nuances - I missed many the first time around. Definitely a DVD purchase for us so that we can try to take it all in the second or third time around. ;)

The bad news is I got the director's cut of Das Boot for Christmas. This is renowned as one of the most atmospheric films ever made, but it's just not going to be the same after experiencing Master and Commander. :(

fool

Learning Storage Performance
A couple of days a go the washing machine started to flood the kitchen. Whilst trying to shift the damn thing out of its cubby hole so as to see WTF was wrong with it I managed to rip my left Gluteus Minimus, leastwise that’s what my doctor says, all I know is that just about every position, be it sitting, standing or prone is bloody painful.

The same day I became the butt of all jokes Belleville Rendezvous was on telly. Its utterly fantastic. And in the state I was in at the time, (hadn’t yet got to the docs, too little blood in my alcohol stream to feel comfortable taking any of the painkillers in the house), the laughter induced stomach cramps were a welcome distraction from my all too literal pain in the arse.

I realise that none of the above tells you anything about the film, so

Belleville Rendezvous is an absolutely sumptuously animated, almost entirely dialogue free, French film about a cyclist, his gran and their dog.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Just finished watching Buffalo Soldiers, and it was truly an excellent film. It shows how completely craptacular the US Army is. I'm sure Mercutio and CougTek as well as all the other highly liberal members will enjoy this one.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
But the main reason I ask is, I had a very hard time understanding the dialog in the movie, and I'm not sure if the reason for that is a technical problem with the theater I visited, technical incompetence by the postproduction staff or if I've utterly lost my ability to hear.

It sounded very much like the theater I was in didn't use the center channel in its Dolby Digital mix.

One time I was at the cinema and they had issues with the sound, I believe it drops down to a Pro-logic mix when it can't read the digital signal. Biggest annoyance was when watching the Two Towers at the cinema, at the start the tardo projectionist hadn't dropped in the anarmorphic lens, wasn't a pretty picture as Gandalf fell with the Shadow.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I'm really enjoying the A&E Mystery series with Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot. Besides watching episodes through A&E, I've also purchased some of them on DVD. In my opinion, they do an excellent job portraying Poirot with David Suchet. He seems to have the right balance between being pompous, intelligent, courteous, and finicky. Plus the French-Belgian accent is easily understood by us non-French and non-Belgian types.

For movies, I'll add:

The Quiet Man

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Watched American Splendor tonight, it was interesting to say the least. Not a typical movie at all. Definitely worth seeing...shows how complicated life is and how Harvey Pekar gets through it even though he loathes each day of his life.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I noticed that "The Gods Must Be Crazy" movies are coming out on DVD shortly. Great movie.

Mercutio

Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) made a movie at last year's San Diego Comic Con last year. Appropriately, it's titled "Comic Book: The Movie", and it's goddamn funny on about 10 different levels.

It's a no-budget movie that was shot live at the convention, and it really captures the experience of being the sort of no-life pop culture geek that, well, I am.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yesterday I watched Secondhand Lions and Radio. Both very nice. And Under the Tuscan Sun wasn't bad either.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Monster was pretty good. Watching it, you understand why Charlize won the Oscar. Not only was her acting superb, but the screenplay was very well written.

Mercutio

Somehow I can't bring myself to watch a movie about Lesbian serial killers.
That stuff actually bothers me A LOT. I tried watching The Hours and had to shut it off, too, even though it's obviously a good movie (with a score that I really, really like).

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Having two children, I don't get out much anymore :wink:

But I will add a vote for Master and Commander, and also (seen last week) The House of Sand and Fog - Ben Kingsley was simply brilliant, as was Jennifer Connelly. Don't watch it if you are feeling a little on the edge though...

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Watching underworld at the moment. Looking at the female star of the movie, the first thought I had was that Merc must have enjoyed this one.

Merc? Or was the Matrix special?

The dress is very good. 8)

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Fushigi said:
The JoJo said:
Watching underworld at the moment. Looking at the female star of the movie, the first thought I had was that Merc must have enjoyed this one.
Kate Beckinsale. I've seen her in Serendipity, Underworld, and Van Helsing. Very easy on the eyes.

Where's my e-mule....Serendipity and Van Helsing you said.....;) ?
I'll probably go watch Van Helsing this weekend.

Any comments no S and VH?

Mercutio

Van Helsing is... not good. Underworld wasn't either. Both movies could be reduced to the heroine doing squat-thrusts in their leather outfits for two hours and been much, much improved.
Serendipity is the kind of movie we now call a "chick flick". John Cusack is a favorite actor of mine. Otherwise, I doubt I would've seen it. It's not a bad movie, but when I saw it, I said something like "But how is Ruchard Gere going to win over Julia Roberts!?!" out loud in the theater. Some guy a couple rows in front of me got smacked when he laughed at that comment, but it's completely justified. Movies like that are the Hollywood equivalent of Mad Libs.

Handruin

Administrator
Kate is a hottie. I didn't care much for Serendipity. The predictability and absurdity in their point was annoying enough for me to ask when the movie would be over.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Check hew site or IMDB for a complete filmography. She's apparently been in about 20 films.

Serendipity is average chick-flick fare. But I, too, like John Cusack (have ever since Better Off Dead) and, as Handy pointed out, Kate is a hottie. (must ... use ... fewer ... commas ...) That made the show worthwhile enough for me. Not excellent, but not a waste either.

Van Helsing. Hmm. Waaay too busy. They should have just stuck with Vampires and not thrown in the other creatures. Maybe cameos to hint at sequels. No big problems with Hugh, Kate, etc. except the accents. Effects were for the most part what you get nowadays, i.e. getting close to indistinguishable. But the story just needed a lot of polish and filling out. I think it would've worked better to, as I said above, let this be a conflict between VH and Drac. At least it did have one thing rather uncommon in Hollywood fare: the ending wasn't entirely predictable.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Shaun of the Dead was laugh-out-loud funny. I'd highly recommend it. Very peppered with f*** so if you're offended by curse words you may want to avoid it.

Some very good social commentary can be pulled from it as well.

Handruin

Administrator
I just saw Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow yesterday and I found it be be an interesting movie. The cinematography is different from most movies. It felt slightly over-exposed with a slight blur to create a classic effect.