Best movie you've seen

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Tannin, My Life As a Dog was simply brilliant. I'd forgotten about that one.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
P5-133XL said:
We NEED a picture of Tea/Tannin, in drag. I'm not picky, Tannin wearing a womans bathing suit in a nice suductive pin-up pose should be added to the "what do we all look like" topic. No, none of this monkey crap in diapers is acceptable; We want the real thing.

Yes let Tea access to the body. By all means, take pictures

All those in favor - vote here with your comments.

You are a sick, sick man :mrgrn:

slo crostic

Learning Storage Performance
Another film I just thought of is Go To Hell. A fairly obscure Australian animation movie about a mad scientist travelling through space with a collection of genetic material from earth. He and his son are cryogenically frozen for years at a time while the ship is run by generation after generation of clones. By the time they get to the planet they are headed for, the clones have become twisted mutinous freaks. The animation is fairly B-grade but the story makes up for it.
I originally saw it on SBS a few years ago and have been trying to hunt it down on video ever since.
Does anyone know of this film?

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
How about "Waking Ned Devine." This was one of those movies that someone else picked out and I remember thinking, "Yeah, this will be really great. :roll: " But I was pleasantly surprised by this light-hearted film. Review here.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi said:
Have you seen Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories? Three shorts, each rather different from each other. Good social commentary. Gorgeous animation. Rumor is it has been licensed for US release, but the Japanese version has English subs. Memories is definitely an addition to my list.

Not yet but I'll keep an eye out for it on cable. The site you linked to was down when I tried it but I'll take your word that it's worth watching. BTW, it's nice that someone heard of another one of my fairly obscure titles. Quite refreshing actually that people here don't just stick to the mainstream Hollywood movies when much of the independent/foreign stuff is so much better. Anime is an interesting genre in itself. I haven't seen quite as much as you, but I certainly keep an eye out for it when I'm channel surfing. Subtitles don't really bother me. In fact, I think some movies(especially live action ones) lose something in translation. For example, I've seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon both ways, and I liked it better with the subtitles.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Movies suffer terribly when dubbed. Whereas subtitles don't bother most people. Yet another example of how surprisingly significant audio is to humans, I guess.

I remember seeing a dubbed version of La Cage Aux Folles II. It was amazingly bad. This series only ever floated on the strength of the cast, and without their voices, it was just a farce - but no longer French. (I'm really proud of that play on words, so there :p).

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
jtr1962 said:
Not yet but I'll keep an eye out for it on cable. The site you linked to was down when I tried it but I'll take your word that it's worth watching. BTW, it's nice that someone heard of another one of my fairly obscure titles. Quite refreshing actually that people here don't just stick to the mainstream Hollywood movies when much of the independent/foreign stuff is so much better. Anime is an interesting genre in itself. I haven't seen quite as much as you, but I certainly keep an eye out for it when I'm channel surfing. Subtitles don't really bother me. In fact, I think some movies(especially live action ones) lose something in translation. For example, I've seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon both ways, and I liked it better with the subtitles.
I've got the laserdisc for Robot Carnival. It's the Streamline release :cry: but it's still watchable.

Anime on DVD down .. well, that does happen from time to time, and they were switching forum software. Try the link again sometime.

Not sure if Memories will make it to cable, but then with the TechTV anime block and the anime on one of the Stars channels, not to mention the AnimeTV channel that ADV is starting up, anime on US TV is really taking off. Of course, most of it isn't all that special, certainly not worthy of a 'best-of' list. But in general the Japanese seem to be able to tell a story better than the majority of the domestic content producers. Especially when it comes to animation.

American animation rarely matches average anime and almost never matches the best. That goes for story, character designs (including the characters looks and their background, motivations, etc.), and the animation quality itself. Take the TV show Ruroni Kenshin for example. Details of the main character are revealed over time like in most shows. But a major difference is that the background and motivations of most of the side characters, bad guys he fights, etc. are also revealed. This makes the storylines and conflicts more emotional and more meaningful. Characters are motivated by politics, family, revenge (earned or not), misunderstandings, desire for power, etc. Sometimes more than an entire episode is spent bringing forth a character's past to show events that led to the present. And it's done with drama, a touch of comedy, and enough action to keep people coming back for more.

OK, we now return to our original topic.

CTHD I've only seen subbed.

On the sub vs. dub argument, let me just say this: In Japan there are schools and classes for those desiring to be voice actors (seiyuu). In America they grab the janitor and ask him if he wants to make an extra $50 this week.

- Fushigi

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
time said:
Movies suffer terribly when dubbed. Whereas subtitles don't bother most people. Yet another example of how surprisingly significant audio is to humans, I guess.

My guess is that the eye/ear cognitive dissonance is too distracting. The same effect occurs when movies are cleaned up for showing on TV.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
How long is this yoperiso download going to take?

8½, La Dolce Vita, The Conformist, The Tin Drum

Shoot the Piano Player, The 400 Blows, Breathless (original), Alphaville, Week End

Belle Du Jour, The Exterminating Angel, The Andalusian Dog

Freaks, Liquid Sky, Repo Man, Lonesome Cowboys

The General, Sherlock, Jr., Nosferatu (original)

The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, White Heat, To Have and Have Not, From Here to Eternity

The Importance of Being Earnest, Babe, Big, Groundhog Day

honold

Storage is cool
were you talking about the recent 'the importance of being earnest'?

i saw spirited away over the weekend and it was fantastic - this coming from an anime hater (i never see the value outside of 'it's a cartoon and has japanese quirks'). go watch now :)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
honold said:
were you talking about the recent 'the importance of being earnest'?

i saw spirited away over the weekend and it was fantastic - this coming from an anime hater (i never see the value outside of 'it's a cartoon and has japanese quirks'). go watch now :)

It took forever for that movie to come into theatres widespread.. I think I saw it over a year ago... I enjoyed Princess Mononoke as well. Has anybody here seen the new movie from Studio Chibli, Grave of the Fireflies? I thought it was a good story, especially heartfelt, but I didn't enjoy the negative portrayal of the United States.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm an Anime-not-terribly-interested-at-all-er. I watched Mononoke. It didn't do anything for me.
I'm pretty much into all things geeky, but man, Anime leaves me limp.

Of course, my first exposure was the utterly, utterly incomprehenisble mess known as Akira. I know it was based on 20-odd hours of TV shows or movies or something, but the 3 hour long English version (I saw it in a theater, even) makes me think that exposition is physically painful for the Japanese.

Ask an Anime fan to explain Akira sometime. I think my notes from two semesters of organic chemsitry were less complicated.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
All three movies (Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Monoke, and Spritied away) were priduced by studio Chibli. All are done in the same style.

Although honold, you are correct in saying that Grave of the fireflies was not directed by Miyazaki (Studio chibli is his animation workshhop) himself.

Merc- if anime leaves you limp why don't you check out one of the many Hentai titles that seem to be abounding everywhere.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
<Glances over shoulder at hundreds of anime DVDs, tapes, LDs>

Grave of the Fireflies = original Japanese copyright 1988. From Nausicaa.net, a Ghibli/Miyazaki fan site, GotF was directed by Isao Takahata. The 2002 release by CPM was a re-release of the disc, which they has previously released in 98 or 99. The re-release is supposed to feature restored footage and better sound, but I haven't bothered to upgrade.

Akira .. many hail it but not I. I've seen it a couple of times and I just don't care for it. There are far better anime films that are more cohesive, better animated, and just plain more interesting to watch. Psychics on overload can be interesting to watch, but when you compress a 20 book series to a single movie, way too much is lost. It is also from the age when anime dubs were pretty universally aweful.

Better films to watch, in no particular order:
Ghost in the Shell
Pretty much any of the Miyazakis listed in the link above; most are ideal family movies
Perfect Blue
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Almost any Lupin III movie, especially Castle of Cagliostro which was directed by Miyazaki (for licensing reasons, Lupin III is sometimes known as Rupan III)
Royal Space Force/Wings of Honneamise
Jin Roh

GitS was cutting edge when released. It's still a compressed story but isn't the mess that Akira was. PB is a thriller that toys with reality. Great animation and well-thought out characters. VHD:B should have developed the story better but is none-the-less an impressive work in the animation and sound department (in a rare event, the film was originally voice in English and the Japanese had to watch it with subtitles). It features the best DD 5.1 soundtrack I've yet heard in an anime. RSF/WoH is the telling of man's first ventures into space in an alternate reality. Politics and religion are strong elements of the story. The creators made up an entire society for the film; everything from currency to technology is rather unique. If I had to show one movie to demonstrate what anime can do, RSF/WoH is probably what I'd pick. The only problem is the US DVD got a crappy release that has not been fixed.

Hentai isn't all tentacle sex. There are some genuine love stories and other general erotica. Erotic comedies (F3, Magical Twilight). Fetishes, even (try Cool Devices). Just avoid the stuff from Nutech and most Anime18 releases.

Finally, the reason Spirited Away made it to a wide release was because of it's Academy Award win. It had been putting along in a very limited release pretty much since first released last fall and had dwindled to about 20 screens before the win. Next thing you know it's in 800 screens. Of course the DVD was scheduled for an April release so it came out while the movie was still in theaters. Kudos to Disney Studios for not pushing the home release back.

- Fushigi

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I watched A Clockwork Orange tonight. Although I could tell you the plot, I couldn't really tell you what the movie was about. If Stanley Kubrick wanted to make a statement it was lost on me. I can mark it off the list now though. :)

honold

Storage is cool
Howell said:
I watched A Clockwork Orange tonight. Although I could tell you the plot, I couldn't really tell you what the movie was about. If Stanley Kubrick wanted to make a statement it was lost on me. I can mark it off the list now though. :)

i'm not one of those 'oh but the book...' guys (barely even read), but the film version actually misses the entire point because of the notable omission of the actual ending. it's really worth reading.

Mercutio

Sorta kinda spoiler, if you're interested in reading the novel

Basically, Alex, the vaguely sociopathic narrator, grows into a responsible adult.

honold

Storage is cool
it's the entire point of the movie, the point of the title. a clockwork orange is something seemingly alive but controlled.

alex is a sociopath, so they artifically make him better, which is addressing the symptoms but not the disease. eventually he comes to understand where and why he was wrong despite his 'rehabilitation' and how it affected him.

in the movie he gets the procedure undone, goes hog wild again, and the credits roll.

Mercutio

The updated version was released in the US while I was in, I guess I was in 6th grade, so... 1987ish I remember a story in Time Magazine about it. Most libraries I've been to still seem to have the old edition on hand, rather than the new one.

skeet

What is this storage?
Hey P5-133XL,
I can't do Tannin in drag, but I think I've got one of him snogging a bloke. Actually no! I've just looked again and it was my girlfriend he's fondling. Sorry!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
skeet said:
Hey P5-133XL,
I can't do Tannin in drag, but I think I've got one of him snogging a bloke. Actually no! I've just looked again and it was my girlfriend he's fondling. Sorry!

Tannin in drag == Tea in natural clothing

Tannin kissing Girl != Tea Kissing Girl

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Elizabeth is a showcase for Cate Blanchett - a magnetic performance. No question she was robbed at the Oscars.
I agree. Her performance was excellent. The transformation she portrayed of a semi-serious, somewhat shallow young lady into a true Monarch was magnificent. As she said, by the end of the film she was truly her "Father's daughter".

I'd be interested to hear anyone's assessment of "Lawrence" from "Lawrence of Arabia". To my semi-educated mind he seems a fragile (weak?) soul who has not only been thrust into a situation which is beyond his means as a man, but who then drives himself ever further beyond his capacity to withstand stress by exceeding the expectations of those who sent him. It is as if he were driven to be great man (and perhaps he was) yet he truly did not have the makings of one at all. What was it that allowed him to fulfill his mission despite his apparent weakness? Character? Your thoughts?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Last night I watched a great movie that had completely slipped my mind: The Big Country, with Burl Ives, Gregory Peck, and Charlton Heston.

90m.jpg

honold

Storage is cool
flagreen said:
I agree. Her performance was excellent. The transformation she portrayed of a semi-serious, somewhat shallow young lady into a true Monarch was magnificent. As she said, by the end of the film she was truly her "Father's daughter".
go see spirited away!

Mercutio

Anyone seen "Punch Drunk Love" yet?

It just came out on video in the US. Interesting movie. Very beautifully shot. There's some REALLY interesting art direction in that movie. If you happen to watch it, pay attention to the use of colors. Barry (Adam Sandler) wears a solid blue suit and red tie throughout the movie, until the end. His girlfriend consisitently wears solid red, as do the stewardesses and entertainers. His sisters appear in solid green. There's an emphasis on featureless white walls.

In addition to that, there's some interesting symbolism with a harmonium and with the recurring theme of pudding.

Most interesting is the fact that the 2 DVD set has no director's commentary. No commentary at all, in fact. I watched this movie and I realize that there is a TON of sub-surface nuance. Not at all what I would expect from an Adam Sandler flick, or even a PT ("Boogie Nights") Anderson movie. Entirely different from everything I've seen this year. I enjoyed it a lot.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just saw the HULK.

Ang Lee, the director, really used this as a vehicle for wonderful, artful, use of camera, and formatting. He used a lot of split screen stuff, unusual, but well done.

Long, but well done.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Quigley Down Under, while not an Oscar winner, had me rolling most of the time.

I like 45-110 sharps...

s