Best movie you've seen

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You probably lack the particular cultural literacy to properly digest the awesome that I have linked to, but for everybody else, this is the radio play version of Star Wars as read at a comic book convention by Pinky and the Brain, Zapp Brannigan, Yakko and Wakko Warner, Batman, Yosemite Sam, Eric Cartman, Bender, Porky Pig and Twilight Sparkle. All done in character.

Mercutio

I really didn't care for Dark Knight Rises. I think it might take an entire essay to explain the fullness of my objections, but the short version is that the movie tries so hard to be grounded in realism that anything that doesn't follow along with that becomes jarring; I shouldn't be sitting there thinking "Why would anyone behave that way?" DURING the movie. Also, that was a movie in serious need of an editor.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Apparently some deranged kid went nuts and offed some people watching the movie. I wonder if that puts a dent in viewership.

LunarMist

That is just another reason to never, ever go to the movie theatres.

LunarMist

I'm boycotting it. Everyone else should as well. The Spider-Man rights need to revert to Marvel.

Didn't they make a spiderman movie less than 10 years ago? Why is there a need for a remake so soon?

Maybe LSI should make a spiderman film. It might have less firmware problems than Marvel. :)

Mercutio

The third film in the first volume of the Spider-Man franchise was very poorly received. The director wanted to make a wildly different movie from the one the studio wanted and the result was a sub-par movie. Given that Spider-Man 2 is likely going to show up on anyone's top 5 list of favorite super-hero movies, I think the studio was the source of the problem. In addition, the star of the previous franchise was starting to look too old to play Peter Parker the teenager-or-young-adult and apparently he had back problems severe enough to seriously limit his mobility during filming of the third movie. I note that he really hasn't done anything since, but sitting on a huge pile of money from a couple of the biggest grossing movies of all time probably keeps him pretty busy.

I really, viscerally dislike the new Spider-Man actor. He has a strong urban hipster quality that should never be apparent in someone who is playing Peter Parker. Spider-Man should not have half a bottle of gel in his hair.

LunarMist

I really, viscerally dislike the new Spider-Man actor. He has a strong urban hipster quality that should never be apparent in someone who is playing Peter Parker. Spider-Man should not have half a bottle of gel in his hair.

I suppose you are not old enough to have used Brylcreem.

LunarMist

I was also once upon a time, but it's thinnrr now. The Batman "only" grossed $160M.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I watched "The Three Stooges" the other night. The actors really got their parts right. The guy playing Curly, was great. 90 minutes of slap stick humer can really take your mind off of things.

[ I have been putting tanning lotion on my head for over 20 years]

LunarMist

Well of course you can't compare classics like Duck Soup or Night at the Opera to any of the Stooges' drivel. :rolleyes:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I just got the Avengers. I've been watching it for 3 nights, over and over. The combination of violence, humor, and the characters I've been familiar with from the 60's make this a GREAT movie. They do justice to ALL the characters.
Scenes I love. Hulk hits Thor hard. Thor comes through, wipes his nose, and smiles.
Hulk and Thor kill battalion bad guy, drop it in subway station. Then Hulk hits Thor, out of habit.

Hulk meets Loki is priceless.

I like the fact that they show the Hulk as besides strong, lightening quick.
Jackson pulls off Fury rather well, despite being black(Fury is a white, cigar chomping GI Sarge in the books)
Hawkeye is awesome, in particular blowing Loki off his sled.

Iron Man is well done, as always.

Black Widow is excellent as well.

Mercutio

One tiny little detail that I liked about the Avengers was the fact that the Hulk has some flab on his gut and normal body hair. I went back and watched the Ang Lee Hulk after one of my many viewings of the Avengers and the changes to the level of detail are utterly mind-blowing.

Mercutio

Also: Black Nick Fury does have an in-comic precedent. Marvel has a second comics line called "Ultimate Comics", which features modernized takes on classic characters. Hulk isn't just a brute who wants to be left alone, he's a monster that's ruled by his id. In his first appearance, he eats (EATS!) Freddy Prinze Jr. for flirting with Betty Ross. Spider-Man was 14 again and was eventually for-real killed by the Green Goblin. There's another Spider-Man running around now, a Black/Hispanic kid from the Bronx, but Peter Parker is dead. And Nick Fury is black and was in fact originally based on the appearance of Samuel L. Jackson, as a tribute to a guy who is a huge comics fan in the first place. Ultimate Comics have been running for more than 10 years at this point, so it's not just a stunt casting thing.

Confusingly, Black Nick Fury is also a dimensional traveler who has spent time in the universe of Squadron Supreme (Marvel's homage to the DC universe) and recently arrived in the regular Marvel Comics universe. Yes, this is retarded but fortunately it's pretty easy to ignore.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I pretty much stopped reading comics when they went over 35 cents.
I don't know how kids pay 3-4 dollars a comic, and collect anything.

Mercutio, thank you for the update and the history.

I really enjoy the dead pan humor of the Black Widow not understanding the subtle comments Tony Stark is always making. It's the classic second language person taking a comment literally and missing the point. The 'party' line
was in particular great for that.
Also the reference to Budapest, and Hawkeyes' comment.

Captain America's 'instructions' to the Hulk killed me. The action that follows that is breath taking and fantastic.

Handruin

Administrator
Where did you get the Avengers from already? The bluray doesn't appear to come out until Sept 25th.

Mercutio

Where did you get the Avengers from already? The bluray doesn't appear to come out until Sept 25th.

There's been a decent torrent release of it since at least the middle of May. That's where all the awesome animated .gifs came from.

Comics cost me $2.60 apiece on average, with cover prices ranging from $3 - $4 these days. Fables #100 was released last year with a cover price for a single issue of $10.
It's not a cheap hobby and ironically while I torrent and format-shift the crap out of comics, I still buy them because relatively few people can afford to do it and I want to support the work I really like.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Fast Five. Smoking. Tyrese Gibson is great, The entire crew is great. Great movie.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
And Nick Fury is black and was in fact originally based on the appearance of Samuel L. Jackson, as a tribute to a guy who is a huge comics fan in the first place. Ultimate Comics have been running for more than 10 years at this point, so it's not just a stunt casting thing.

Surely it has something to do with the fact that the name "D. Hasselhoff" is synonymous with the original white version? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joZODFleOaA

No-one else could ever be expected to follow such a bravura performance.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Fast Five. Smoking. Tyrese Gibson is great, The entire crew is great. Great movie.

Mercutio

Surely it has something to do with the fact that the name "D. Hasselhoff" is synonymous with the original white version? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joZODFleOaA

Sci Fi channel original movies hardly make anything synonymous with anything.

Nick Fury as a character is kind of a strange fusion of a lot of different influences, including fighting in WWII and a sort of 1960s psychedelic James Bond science fiction cold warrior. Much of the regular comic character's history was developed by a guy named Jim Steranko, who also developed "The Question" as a full-on Objectivist super-hero and was himself an accomplished acrobat ("The Question" is also the basis for the Rorschach character in The Watchmen). I suspect the rationale behind the changes to the character for the movies was distance him from all that baggage.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Fury and Cap teamed up a number of times. I didn't see Sam Jackson in the Captain America movie. Wonder why?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Quick question on superheros, Batman in particular.

(My wife asked me this, and I had no idea). I know why Batman became a crime figher (due to the witnessing his parent's being murdered), however why did he choose the bat persona?

Mercutio

Because criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

No, really.

Bruce Wayne was scared by a bat as a kid and he decided to make other people afraid of them, too.

LunarMist

Bats are nice although some can carry disease. How much influence did the Bruce Wayne have? Wasn't he just a butler or manservant?