Backing up a phone before reset

Handruin

Administrator
I'd like to do a factory reset on my phone but was curious to hear some feedback of others on the steps you all take to backup a non-rooted Android phone prior to running the factory reset.

I've made sure my contacts are all synced to my Gmail along with all other Google supported features. What about data within apps like txt messages? I have my media files on my SD card so those should persist but I'll copy everything to my PC to be safe.

What other areas of the phone are preferable to be backed up if any? Are there any specific apps you might use to help with this?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I think you would have future access to any files if you took a backup with Kies. It has been a while.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I think Handy has an LG phone, not Samsung.

The Play store has 3rd party apps that will back up core Android-related data on non-rooted phones. For data stored in apps downloaded by you, unless the app itself offers a backup, there's probably not a lot you can do.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks, I do have an LG phone. I've backed up my sms and mms messages using this app named SMS Backup & Restore from carbonite which seemed to work pretty well. Everything else I've backed up manually by copying the data from the phone to my desktop.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
As an aside you might look into sms backup+. It is primarily for backup to gmail but it looks to allow backup to any imap server. It's much easier to search old messages from a mail interface than messaging interface.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks, I looked into using this but wasn't thrilled with the SMS messages being archived into my gmail account. I read that it wasn't able to restore MMS messages which was less ideal. I believe the carbonite backup will do both SMS and MMS.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Verizon's Cloud app will backup everything to the cloud for you and then you can re-download it (if you have Verizon). They also have an app that allows transfer of everything directly between two phones (I think it uses bluetooth and NFC but not sure). It is really easy, you just run the app on both phones and then touch them together. If you don't have Verizon, check your carrier and see if they offer anything.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
When one syncs to Google (Gmail), what all is saved there to download to the phone after reset / to a new phone? Never done that, but will probably need to in the near future.

I need to save contacts, calendar, & SMS messages. Whatsapp clearly indicates its messages cannot be transferred to a new phone, and I'm ok with that, no big deal.

Thanks.