Athlon1.4 to AthlonXP1800+

J-Frog

What is this storage?
I have an Athlon 1.4 right now that runs at 55C idle and 60C load.

My questions: is it worth upgrading to a AthlonXP1800+ for $97.

Will the XP run cooler than a standard Athlon?

I will not be overclocking any time soon. Ultimately, I want something that runs cooler with a little speed increase.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmm ... US$97 seems like a lot for a modest speed increase - let's say about the same as going from an 1100 to a 1400. But you should get somewhere around 35 to 45 degrees at idle - which may well make it worth your while. They vary from chip to chip, as well as from board to board and fan to fan and case to case, but you would be dead unlucky to have an XP 1800 run as hot as that.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
$97.00 is a reasonable price for an Athlon XP 1800+, however, the upgrade path you plan to make may not be as noticeable as you expect.

Presently, I am running an Athlon 1400C and the idle temperature is 40C. However, I do have three fans in the system; front and rear 80mm chassis fans and a 60mm CPU fan.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
There seems quite alot of interest for Athlon T-bird 1400s on the market - presumably lots of people have boards that won't take XPs, right now over here, the XP1800 costs as much as the 1400. So, if you can sell it it won't cost you that much. I'd certainly go for the upgrade - 1400's get scolding hot, enough to fry bacon.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Unless there's a reason to upgrade, don't. For 99% of interactions with the system, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Your machine is fine at 55C unless it's making the room uncomfortably warm or something, so give it a month or so and see what kind of additional value you can get for your $100.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I say determine how much you can sell your 1.4 for and calculate the difference (total out of pocket). it looks like those CPUs are selling for between $60 and $80 on eBay so your out-of-pocket will be small.

OTOH, I doubt you will notice any difference except the heat output. If the heat is not that big of an issue, maybe you don't want to bother fixing something that isn't broke.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My Athlon 1800+ runs at 55C and that is with 2 case fans and a fairly big heatsink. Unless you have some super duper cooling solution I doubt yours will be much cooler.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Clocker said:
I say determine how much you can sell your 1.4 for and calculate the difference (total out of pocket). it looks like those CPUs are selling for between $60 and $80 on eBay so your out-of-pocket will be small.

OTOH, I doubt you will notice any difference except the heat output. If the heat is not that big of an issue, maybe you don't want to bother fixing something that isn't broke.

Being an engineer, I, unfortunately, am continuously compelled to fix and optimize things until they are totally screwed up...
C

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Rocco Siffredi said:
1400's get scolding hot, enough to fry bacon.
Confirming. My 1333MHz runs a freakin' 70ºC when the sun rises here in Rome.

But no hic-ups... 8)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Prof, that is freaking hot. Is your computer ever unstable? I ran into some problems with my Athlon running about 70C. System would become unstable and whatnot.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Absolutely nothing. And I'm not hiding evidence here to support my position. 70 grads Celsius and no problems at all. ASUS Probe once even said 71! :eek:

Hey, wait a minute... shouldn't AMD Athlons work in specs till 90-95 grads?

PS. The real hot Roman days haven't arrived though. Lucky me I'll be in Greece by August. I'll leave the PC here and off.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tim, yours is unusally warm. 55C at idle is close to the upper end of the normal scale. XPs in typical everyday installations range between about 30C through to about 55C, but ~70 or 80% of them are in the range of 35 to 45C. At least that's my XPerience with them. I'll ask Kristi today, because she keep a very careful eye on temperatures and builds most of our systems. Unless I forget.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Don't forget, Prof, like me, is using an A7V266E which gives temperatures arond 10C higher than other boards, which is supposed to be closer to the real temperature of the core.

Mine runs at around 58-61C depending on room temperature, using a very quiet Zalman flower cooler.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Rocco Siffredi said:
Don't forget, Prof, like me, is using an A7V266E which gives temperatures arond 10C higher than other boards, which is supposed to be closer to the real temperature of the core.

Mine runs at around 58-61C depending on room temperature, using a very quiet Zalman flower cooler.

My Duron 950 routinely hit 70-72 and ran stably. I had to turn down the multiplier because it woud become unstable when Folding. Surfing and gaming were fine.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
77 grads... :-?
Seriously, should I begin worrying?
(no instabilities whatsover but...)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Thoze AMD badboyz can take the heat much beter than those pee3's. Fear not, unless you are having stability problems.