Antec P180 $69.99 after MIR w/free S&H

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I really like the all black one...too bad I already have the original.....

Handruin

Administrator
I really like the all black one also. They had it as a special "Silent PC Review" edition when I bought my silver one...I wasn't going to pay extra for the black.

I know someone else here was considering the P180, was it timwhit or Adcadet? That's why I posted this here...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Sweet deal. I think the rebate from Frys is good until 11/23/06. So, I put the order in. It is still not a bad price either way, and free shipping is always nice.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The price is just too good, I ordered one too. I'm simply going to swap-out the contents of a very noisy server case.

Stereodude

Not really a
I got my P180 today after the neighbor brought it to me. Apparently DHL can't figure out the whole reading the addresses on buildings.

I didn't bother to open it since my "new" CPU (from P5-133XL) for my HTPC won't be here until next Wednesday and the heatpipe HSF from Newegg isn't coming until Tuesday. I want to transfer everything over at once.

ddrueding

Fixture
I plan on transplanting all the contents of my SFF system (Antec Aria) into the P180. I haven't been able to get the temps or noise down to my analy stringint levels. Increasing the volume of the case and airflow by a factor of 6 should fix those problems.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'm doing my transplant right now: MB, Processor, and case. This server was the last of my XP2500+ machines. I had bought the MB and processor and started that transplant with all the others a couple of moths ago, but the CPU was bad. Yesterday, I finally got the replacement CPU and today, I got the case ...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I plan on transplanting all the contents of my SFF system (Antec Aria) into the P180. I haven't been able to get the temps or noise down to my analy stringint levels. Increasing the volume of the case and airflow by a factor of 6 should fix those problems.

So much for portability ...

Handruin

Administrator
I'll agree to that. P180 = anti-portability, it's a heavy SOB...I take it to LAN parties.

Handruin

Administrator
It is really quiet. I noticed a decent improvement over my P160 (which is considerably lighter). It also keeps things a lot cooler. My power supply has never run so cool until the day I started using the P180. In my P160 I could feel the PS getting extremly warm which caused the fan to run faster. Now it barely runs.

Stereodude

Not really a
I should point out that since my last post I found the packing list inside the box. It looks like they stuffed it in through one of the holes for the handles. I guess that is what I'll use for my receipt.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I really like the all black one also. They had it as a special "Silent PC Review" edition when I bought my silver one...I wasn't going to pay extra for the black.

I know someone else here was considering the P180, was it timwhit or Adcadet? That's why I posted this here...
Yup, I ordered a P180B a few weeks back from Newegg for $100 shipped. It was backordered but still came within 2 weeks or so. I have yet to get a chip, motherboard, ram, and graphics card so it's currently unused, but I took it out of the box and went through it. So far I'm pretty impressed. Sturdy, well-made, with no parts to cut me. I'm looking forward to building a computer in it as soon as there are some reasonably-priced Nvidia Nforce series 600 motherboards available. My system will likely be:

- Antec P180B
- some sort of power supply, haven't figured that out yet
- Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.83 GHz) or E6400 (2.13 GHz)
- 2*1 GB DDR2 PC800
- Nforce 600-series board of some sort
- WD Raptor 150 for the OS, and perhaps an additional 1 or 2 Samsung 400 GB drives depending on what I decide to do for mass storage and backup
- some sort of PCI-E graphics card, leaning towards Nvidia in the $100-250 range
- an old SB Live value card that I got cerca 1999-2000
- Samsung 204B LCD and an old LG Studioworks 995E 19" CRT
- Sennheiser HD280 headphones
- old MS keyboard and mouse that are both one spilled pop away from the trash

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I should point out that since my last post I found the packing list inside the box. It looks like they stuffed it in through one of the holes for the handles. I guess that is what I'll use for my receipt.

Are you sending the actual packing slip or a copy?

I got my case yesterday. It is pretty nice. Took me quite awhile to get all my components installed, which included 5 hard drives, 2 optical drives and every PCI slot used.

Seems pretty quiet also, I have all the fans set to low right now, but I haven't put the sides on yet, I will have to see how the temperatures look after I have the sides on.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, I got my HTPC tranplanted over into the P180. Thanks for P5-133XL my HTPC now has a Barton core processor in it, and I put a much larger HSF on it. I can't say that the system is much quieter than it was before. It might be a little quieter, but subjectively it doesn't seem like much. The video card is still the noise problem. Still, the P180 is an impressive case. One thing of note is that I had to get an ATX PS extension cable so I could plug my power supply into the motherboard.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Well, I got my HTPC tranplanted over into the P180. Thanks for P5-133XL my HTPC now has a Barton core processor in it, and I put a much larger HSF on it. I can't say that the system is much quieter than it was before. It might be a little quieter, but subjectively it doesn't seem like much. The video card is still the noise problem. Still, the P180 is an impressive case. One thing of note is that I had to get an ATX PS extension cable so I could plug my power supply into the motherboard.

First, you can probably turn off one of the two top 120mm fan's: I find one is just fine;

Nex, may I suggest that next time you buy a video card try HIS: Their cards are very quiet compared to other brands that I've delt with. Unfortuantely, they do cost more ...

Stereodude

Not really a
First, you can probably turn off one of the two top 120mm fan's: I find one is just fine;

Next, may I suggest that next time you buy a video card try HIS: Their cards are very quiet compared to other brands that I've delt with. Unfortuantely, they do cost more ...
I should have mentioned that I only have 1 of the top two fans spinning on low. The other is unplugged. I'm thinking to block off the hole though.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I should have mentioned that I only have 1 of the top two fans spinning on low. The other is unplugged. I'm thinking to block off the hole though.

I suspect that it won't matter. The point in blocking off the surplus holes is to prevent an air-flow short-circuit and that shows up as poor cooling. With just one upper fan running, you won't get poor cooling, so there probably no short circuit occuring, so there is no point in blocking the holes. On the other hand, it won't hurt either ...

ddrueding

Fixture
I suspect that it won't matter. The point in blocking off the surplus holes is to prevent an air-flow short-circuit and that shows up as poor cooling. With just one upper fan running, you won't get poor cooling, so there probably no short circuit occuring, so there is no point in blocking the holes. On the other hand, it won't hurt either ...

Actually, I did some smoke-testing on mine with only the top fan running and no fan at all at the back. It pulled a significant amount of air through the back hole and then blew it out the top. I consider this wasted, as it never even came into contact with my massive CPU HSF, much less my NB and SB heatpipe coolers or my Video Card. Presently the system only has 2 fans total; the one in the Antec NeoHE PS (very quiet) and a Scythe 800RPM FDB (quietest an I've ever heard) fan in the top.

Stereodude

Not really a
It pulled a significant amount of air through the back hole and then blew it out the top. I consider this wasted, as it never even came into contact with my massive CPU HSF, much less my NB and SB heatpipe coolers or my Video Card.
Wouldn't that pull air directly across your CPU HSF? My HSF is on my current system is directly next to both of the two top fans. When I put my new HTPC in that case that would pull air from the top directly across my Scythe Ninja Plus (rev b) and out the back.

ddrueding

Fixture
There is about 1" of space between the back of my case (with the fan removed) and the HSF. I was noticing a lot of air moving right along this gap. I've since blocked off the rear fan hole, the vents above the PCI slots, and the front fan opening. I've removed all the PCI blanking slots below my (passively cooled) video card and extended a baffle from the top of the card to the other side of the case. This causes air to flow in the open PCI slots, along the underside heatsink of the video card, past the heatpipe coolers on the NB and SB chips, then through the CPU HSF before being exhausted. Quite optimised, if I do say so myself.

HSF is a Zalman CNPS-9700NT with the fan removed completely. I was just looking for sheer size/weight of copper to regulate temps under varying loads.

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually added another Scythe FDB 800RPM fan into the HDD/PS compartment. It dropped the temps of my drives to 30C from 40-45C without noticeable increase in noise.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I just built a new computer with the P180, and its a great case. My PS cables were all long enough (though not by much), and it keeps my overclocked Core 2 Duo nice and cool and relatively quiet.

Stereodude

Not really a
I actually added another Scythe FDB 800RPM fan into the HDD/PS compartment. It dropped the temps of my drives to 30C from 40-45C without noticeable increase in noise.
I took out all 3 Antec Trio fans and replaced 2 of them with the Noctua 120mm 800RPM model. I'm using a rubber isolation gasket + silicon mounting posts. I have one in front of my HDs (in the upper HD bay) with the ultra low noise adapter on it, and one on the back in the upper location (no ULNA). The top fan location is unpopulated, and is not blocked off. I haven't blocked any holes. I undervolted my 2.2Ghz X2 down to 1.075V and it doesn't get above ~45C even when running 2 copies of CPUburn.

My problem now is the Zalman VF900-Cu is the loudest thing in the system (even at 5V), but I've pretty much decided to leave it alone. It's about 3m away from my ears, and I have to struggle to detect the machine running. You really can't tell it's running until you shut the machine off (assuming the fridge, furnace, and everything else is silent). Then you can hear the noise floor in the room change sound a little bit.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I believe Antec has come out with some updated cases. I remember the P190, although that might be a very large version of the P180. Perhaps stores are trying to clear their inventory of the P180s.