7Mb Internet

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Not bad at all. We just got the upgraded 5mb down start of this week in Upstate NY. Still a pathetic 378kb upload.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
With road runner I still find it hard to top 2.5Mbit down and my practical upload actually seems to have decreased from ~380Kbit to 350Kbit.

My ping times have gotten much better since moving to another RR covered area though.. probably 25% better. Ping to google in ~50ms and ping in most game servers averaging the same.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Personally I'm putting a lot of hope on Verizon's home fibre program. Supposed to be 30Mbps. It's in testing stages right now. Somewhere, there are some very lucky homeowners.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm also excited for Verizon's 30Mb connection. Not only for ISP services, but hopefully a future competitor to comcast for digital tv. That's a great connection speed BTW! :mrgrn:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
WIth my ISP (Wideopenwest). I have the Ultra package which is supposed to be limited to 4000/500. However, with the new Arris Telephony modems (which handle internet access and phone traffic from my house to the switching station) my ISP has not been able to figure out how to throttle them back. So, I'm getting 7-8 Mbps. I'm thinking on downgrading my internet speed package from 4000/500 to their 112bps service because I think I may still end up getting 7000/500. :mrgrn:

Switching to my cable co. for phone may save me a lot more $ than I originally anticipated. :mrgrn:

C

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
With road runner I still find it hard to top 2.5Mbit down and my practical upload actually seems to have decreased from ~380Kbit to 350Kbit.

My ping times have gotten much better since moving to another RR covered area though.. probably 25% better. Ping to google in ~50ms and ping in most game servers averaging the same.

Hopefully you get the free upgrade to 5mb soon.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Personally I'm putting a lot of hope on Verizon's home fibre program. Supposed to be 30Mbps. It's in testing stages right now. Somewhere, there are some very lucky homeowners.

If I could get Fios, I could easily justify $200 per month for 30mb down / 5mb up.

http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/channels/fios/root/package.asp

Apparently Syracuse is going to be one of their test markets, hopefully they can just move a little East and come to Rochester.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
We were going to go for 1mbps broadband at $49 a month, but now that looks like yesterday's news. Should I wait for something better?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
RWIndiana said:
We were going to go for 1mbps broadband at $49 a month, but now that looks like yesterday's news. Should I wait for something better?

Where do you live and what providers are available to you? If that is 1mb down/1up I would say go for it, but otherwise there should be something better around.

theSwede

What is this storage?
Guys, you really should move to Sweden. Right now I have 24 MBit/s download and 2,4 MBit/s upload and i am paying around 300 SEK (US $42) per month. There are no limit in the amount of data I am allowed to transfer, but I guess they will cancel my subscription if I use it too much. So far I have been downloading between 50 and 90 GByte per month and I haven't had any complaints yet.

/Micke

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
What on earth do you guys in Sweden use that kind of bandwidth for, month after month (assuming you're not running a web/ftp site)?

RWIndiana

Pradeep:
Where do you live and what providers are available to you? If that is 1mb down/1up I would say go for it, but otherwise there should be something better around.

It's 1mb both ways. Few of our neighbors even have electricity, so there really aren't that many other options for us. I'm actually satisfied with our current connection, which varies from 36 to 45kbps. But 1mbps would certainly boost loading time for certain pages, especially radar loops. The broadband is not cable, but it's from an antenna which is visible from our house (for which we would have to buy a receiving antenna at $99). I'm thinking that 1mbps is all we'll ever need (or even want), but I'm also hoping the price comes down at some point. There also comes a time where I think not only how will this affect my pocket-book, but how will it affect my family life. Sometimes I think a slower connection speed is a good thing, because in some cases I decide not to use the computer at all because of dial-up. You may consider me backward, but I see that as a good thing. Ha.

RWIndiana

Did I stretch the topic out like that? Hmm...

I too am wondering what on earth someone would use so much bandwidth for on the internet. Even if you use it for media downloads, there is no way you could actually "properly experience" all the possible downloaded media. Seems like there would be a horrendous waste of bandwidth there. But then I don't know what you guys actually do with it either, I suppose I am just missing something. :)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Wireless 1mb down/up for $49, with $99 install seems reasonable to me, I definitely wouldn't sign any long term contracts until you see how it works for you. But once you go >dial up, it's very tough to go back :)

fb

Storage is cool
mubs said:
What on earth do you guys in Sweden use that kind of bandwidth for, month after month (assuming you're not running a web/ftp site)?
I'm not actually using all of the bandwidth, but it did max out when I had 10/10Mbit so I thought "why not?" when I got the opportunity to upgrade. Then my ISP Bredbandsbolaget has started to provide services like IP-telephony, Video on Demand and Digital TV via the broadband connection, so it might come in handy sometime in the future.

Corvair

Pradeep said:
...Apparently Syracuse is going to be one of their test markets, hopefully they can just move a little East and come to Rochester.

er... Rochester is definitely west of Syracuse... Like if you are heading to Boston from Rochester on I-90 (I have done this more than once), you will drive by Syracuse about an hour later as you are heading eastwards towards B-Town.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Quite right Corvair, I often get directions screwed up. Never Eat Shredded Wheat.

Drove to Toronto last week, it was a miracle I didn't end up in PA!

Handruin

Administrator
I rebooted my cable modem the other day and now I have 4Mb D/L and 385 Kb U/L. Comcast has increased the speed in my area.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Pradeep said:
Quite right Corvair, I often get directions screwed up. Never Eat Shredded Wheat.

Drove to Toronto last week, it was a miracle I didn't end up in PA!

What is wrong with shredded wheat?
I like the frosted kind.
(NESW)

And are you saying something about PA? ;)

Jimshady

What is this storage?